PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Raising Their Fees Again

sammy
01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Received notice that effective Jan. 30, eBay is raising their seller's fees again.

The insertion fee will go from .35 to .40, and the final value fee will go from 3 percent to 3.25 percent.

Don't like it, but still better then the auction house fees.

jake33
01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
those (expletive deleted) , there IS a better way to increase profit other than raising fees so we can pay for their lame national tv ad campaigns.

allstarsplus
01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
raising fees so we can pay for their lame national tv ad campaigns. I don't think I have ever liked any of their ads.

I still think 3.25% is better than 10% to 20% you pay at all the sports oriented Auction companies. I just sold a bunch of items on Leland in their December auction, and they don't give me the names of the buyers of my items!!!! Just my observation.

Personally I do both with regards to using eBay and the big auction houses. The exposure you get on eBay as a seller is 2nd to none plus they have incredible International reach.

Andrew

sylbry
01-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I still think 3.25% is better than 10% to 20% you pay at all the sports oriented Auction companies. I just sold a bunch of items on Leland in their December auction, and they don't give me the names of the buyers of my items!!!! Just my observation.

If you list an item with a starting price of $99.99, sell it at that price, and accept paypal you will be paying over 10%.

I know this is off topic but did you also happen to see ebay is raising fees by $10 on ebay motors listings? So for a one week car ad it will cost $50 plus $5 to $10 for a reserve. What a rip off!

allstarsplus
01-04-2007, 01:27 PM
If you list an item with a starting price of $99.99, sell it at that price, and accept paypal you will be paying over 10%.

I don't think a 10% total transaction cost is excessive given the alternatives. The buyer incurs no extra fees which attracts buyers around the world. Also keep in mind, with PayPal you get the money in the bank in usually 3 days!!!

Many sellers use the $1 start price strategy to cut down on listing fees, also eBay has been running so many of the 15 cents specials that many sellers wait for the specials to save on the listing fees. eBay store listings for 30 days are less than a $1 too.

If someone calls me direct and wants to pay by credit card or PayPal, I am still incurring the 3%.

My alternative for my premium items is using the big auction houses. Sometimes I feel like I am paying a 30% fee given that some buyers will factor in their buyer's fee into the max they will bid so essentially I lose that 15-17.5% off the final selling price plus the 15% sellers fee for a total cost of around 30% plus I have to wait 45 days from the time the auction company claims they received funds!

Why do you think there are so many of these auction houses out there. They are grossing around 30% for any item that sells plus they keep your money for at least 30 days generally.

sylbry
01-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't think a 10% total transaction cost is excessive given the alternatives. The buyer incurs no extra fees which attracts buyers around the world. Also keep in mind, with PayPal you get the money in the bank in usually 3 days!!!

Many sellers use the $1 start price strategy to cut down on listing fees, also eBay has been running so many of the 15 cents specials that many sellers wait for the specials to save on the listing fees. eBay store listings for 30 days are less than a $1 too.

If someone calls me direct and wants to pay by credit card or PayPal, I am still incurring the 3%.

My alternative for my premium items is using the big auction houses. Sometimes I feel like I am paying a 30% fee given that some buyers will factor in their buyer's fee into the max they will bid so essentially I lose that 15-17.5% off the final selling price plus the 15% sellers fee for a total cost of around 30% plus I have to wait 45 days from the time the auction company claims they received funds!

Why do you think there are so many of these auction houses out there. They are grossing around 30% for any item that sells plus they keep your money for at least 30 days generally.

You are absolutely correct. I was simply pointing out a senario I recently did that had my ebay fees a little over 10% of sale price. All in all I will take selling on ebay any day over the auction houses.