PDA

View Full Version : Beginner questions

Qstick333
01-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Hello everyone -

I've been browsing the forums for a few days reading through many of the past questions/threads. I am new and still toying with the idea of starting a game used collection. I have been fairly active with though the mail autograph collecting and after games and have amassed several hundred cards and pucks, golf and baseballs and football helmets etc...Cost is the main concern with the game used hobby.

It seems that most, if not all, of the collecting is done thorugh purchasing from either dealers or ballclubs in general. Are there any oppurtunities to collect by interacting directly with the players such as in-person autographing after games etc..? Obviously if it was as easy as "can I please have a bat" - everyone would be doing it, but I feel like my enjoyment would be elevated by not going through a dealer. I don't mean this as disrespectful by any means to the dealers on here - it just isn't my "thing".

I'm in Northern VA about 90 minutes from both the Nationals and the O's and have a few minor league stadiums a bit closer - I do try and make it to several games annually.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Zach H.

allstarsplus
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Zach - Welcome neighbor. I moved recently from Virginia to Maryland and chose the Inaugural season of the Nationals to start a collection of items.

I have items from the low end of $39 game used MLB hologram'd baseballs to Ryan Zimmerman game used bats to the high end of Frank Robinson game used auto'd Nationals jerseys and everything in between.

Game used collecting can be expensive for the unique items. Since you live in NoVa, try the Prince William minor league club as Minor Leaguers are generally easier than the Major Leaguers.

Also check the Game Used for Sale section here.

If I can help with Nats items, email me at GameUsed@Nationals.net

Andrew

NegleyPirate
01-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Hello Zach, welcome to the best forum in sports! I just wanted to let you know Andrew from Allstarsplus is very helpful. He helped me obtain a autograph gold homerun derby ball from the 2006 signed by Ryan Howard. If you need anything, I'm sure someone on here can help.

Thanks,

jake33
01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Trust only about 30% of the people in this hobby, and be prepared to go on a number of wild goose chases...

plt4008usmc
01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey,
I am from woodbridge and I regular go to the Potomac Nationals game the High A affilate of the Nationals. Allstarplus is right minor league players are easier to get stuff from, but it is also hit or miss, in that you never know who is going to be the great ball player. I am a member of the Booster Club and we sell cracked bats signed by players, but not usually the player that cracked it, has signed it for 10 dollars. It is a good cheap investment if you like bats. They also have a GU jersey auction once a year for jerseys that they palyers are wearing for that game. The money goes to charity. It is also a cheap way to get a GU, they dont sell for more then 75 dollars a jersey.
I just started to collect GU at the beginning of this season. I mostly am a minor league collector. I have stuff of just low-end minor leaguers to some top prospects such as Tyler Clippard and Michael Bowden GU jerseys. It is fun!!!!