PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Harper Bucs jersey on Ebay = Issued

jake33
12-05-2014, 07:09 AM
I emailed a seller about this Alvin harper jersey, which is over priced. I stated the Bucs wore orange jerseys 1 time in 1996 (against Arizona). Harper was injured and did not play in that game. I mentioned to him that I paid $325 for a 1995 Harper jersey this summer and offered him $250 for his issued Harper. He doesn't seem to thrilled about that. Below is a response from him....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-ALVIN-HARPER-TAMPA-BAY-BUCCANEERS-GAME-WORN-CREAMSICLE-WILSON-JERSEY-44-/291313301241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d3a036f9

Hello. By the mid 90’s, the Bucs rarely wore their creamsicle jerseys – maybe once a year, making them rare and highly desirable. Adding to that, Harper was a Premier Receiver and was only there 2 years. You paid $325 for your 95’, I have more than that into mine.
It’s obvious that we are far apart on value/price and we are not going to be able to make
a deal.

It’s very disrespectful to rip a seller’s auction by saying that the jersey is not game worn,
JUST team issued, and telling me what the “fair market value” is on MY jersey. It’s the height
of arrogance. I can easily rip your auctions. For example you were selling a Davin Joseph
Buc’s game worn jersey – starting bid $265. Really? Who the hell is Davin Joseph? By the
way the answer is nobody gives a crap! So your “fair market value” on a common jersey
of a nobody named Davin Joseph is AT LEAST $265, while your “fair market value” on a
1996 Alvin Harper creamsicle Game Jersey is $237.53. You are the last person that I
would ask for a “fair market value” on anything – you’re delusional. I never asked for
your opinion, next time keep your opinion to yourself.

JB

==============
Couple points I would like to make in regards to this

1) Davin Joseph did sell actually. Joseph was a 2 time pro bowler and rated one of the top 100 Bucccaneers of all time by Bucpower.com Also Nike Bucs jerseys sell well in general due to their rarity.
2) I stated a fact to this seller. There is no opinion regarding whether the jersey was worn. The fact he does not do that research is either disrespectful to buyers or if he did do that research and not state that in his listing, then it is misleading. it is either 1 or the other.
3) If I list something incorrectly, I will make that correction, instead of pointing fingers.

zenithsports
12-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I offered him 50 bux. I would like to wear that baby to the games.

jake33
12-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Don't get me wrong a seller has the right to have any asking price they want. It just seems silly to me for the last few years people on ebay asking stupid prices to play the Hi-Low game of mark up to mark down to give a the illusion of deal.

A Warren Sapp 1996 orange jersey with solid paperwork sold for around $1200 within the last year, but I am not sure if a certified Alvin Harper Cowboys game used jersey from a Super Bowl is worth $1200. I am not sure if he thinks someone is going to step up and drop $750 or so on an offer, which that too is far fetched.

A thought of the reasoning of Bucs mid 1990's jerseys are hard to find is true..... but as a collector, I have the ability to just list all the orange Bucs jerseys in my collection on ebay at a lower price than the $1200 price (and still list it well over market value) and instantly flood the market.

gingi79
12-07-2014, 11:25 PM
You paid $325 for your 95’, I have more than that into mine.

The seller betrays himself here. He overpaid for an item that isn't what he thinks it is and instead of dealing with facts, resorts to childish insults to hide the fact he got taken for an item with an actual resale value way below the price he paid. No one likes knowing they prove P.T. Barnum's theory and they are a sucker but it doesn't make it less true.

You are the last person that I would ask for a “fair market value” on anything

I'm sorry but he has no idea how hysterical this comment is. It's a Tampa Bay game used item (be it Rays or Bucs) Anyone on this website for 15 minutes knows you are LITERALLY the ONLY person we'd ever ask fair market value on a TB item! =) That's like saying Paul has no idea about 49er items, MetsBats is clueless about the Mets, Smitty hasn't got a clue about the Rockies, Mr Lang's Nationals collection is subpar and Esteban has no insight about the Marlins.

jake33
12-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks gingi79.

I told the seller, that I honeslty hope that I am totally wrong about the value of that jersey, if he gets over $400 for that jersey, then that means (in theory)the value of all my orange Bucs items just doubled.

I listed my 1995 orange Alvin Harper jersey for $385, which no one will buy. I listed it to show him that that it won't sell and by some chance a crazy buyer comes around and wants one of the jerseys, that prospective will buy my 1995 Harper jersey, because it was actually worn (albeit in a preseason game) and is at price that he will not accept for his jersey. As he told me in his words that was a "Scumbag move" on my part.

I don't like when people word items as "Game Worn" with nothing to back it up, which is it's own issue. The problem that you see as a buyer with an item, will be the same problem you run into when/if you ever sell it and I think sellers need to understand that better. I would love to see more accountability in regards to that. If I have an item that does not have paperwork, but is clearly game used, the photo match is a nice help or maybe 3rd party authentication, but as a buyer I will do a ton of research. I have a Randall McDaniel pro bowl used jersey for $300 on ebay, way under value, but with no paperwork, other than his agent selling it, I totally understand why no one ahs picked that up yet. As a seller, that is my problem, not anyone elses.

I don't mind if someone sells an MLB authenticated jersey that is authenticated as issued but shows game use, because of the process which MLB authenticates. I think it is reasonable to assume many MLB game used buyers know how the authentication process works. With that said, it doesn't mean a seller couldn't doctor an issued to make it look worn. But often times, I believe the sell price on an issued jersey, even with showing game use or even a photo match CAN lower the sale price/value.

I have a Don Mattingly authenticated as game issued Dodgers jersey that shows use and I 100% believe it was worn by Mattingly, but was authenticated after the season. Authenticated game WORN Mattingly dodgers jerseys sell for $600-$750, I know I won't see those prices, regardless of what I think of it being worn.
So I am thinking $470-$500 will be the value, based on the authentication on the item available to the buyers/public.

jake33
12-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Saw his item went without a bid.

If this jersey reaches an auction house, if you see it can you point it out to me, would be appreciated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-ALVIN-HARPER-TAMPA-BAY-BUCCANEERS-GAME-WORN-CREAMSICLE-WILSON-JERSEY-44-/291313301241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d3a036f9