PDA

View Full Version : Game Used NFL Balls

JDF5244
11-27-2014, 04:35 PM
So, I've been taking a look at some Game-Used NFL balls….I'm discovering that it's a bit different from MLB Game-Used balls in that you have no way of reconciling the ball you're purchasing to a certain play or series (aside from photo-matching I suppose). Therefore, I find myself not as interested as the MLB Game-Used balls I've been purchasing.
Anyone else have a thought on this? I'm a rookie collector of Game-Used gear for sure, so if my thought process is flawed here, please let me know.
Happy Thanksgiving!
JDF

BarryMeisel
11-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi JDF,

You bring up an interesting comparison, and I'm happy to offer some information while watching Eagles-Cowboys and digesting turkey (apple pie to come).

We work with the Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers, and offer game-used balls for both. So I can offer these insights:

According to the NFL Rule Book, each team provides 12 footballs, with their team name pre-printed on it, for use in an NFL game. The ref also adds eight Kicking balls (marked with a K) for use in the game. Each team uses its ball when it is on offense.

Two hours and 15 minutes before each game, the team provides these balls to the officials, who check to make sure they are properly sized and inflated. The referee then provides his individual mark (unique to him) on each ball. We have seen balls marked with initials, squiggles, anchors, and other interesting markings.

I think there was a thread on this Forum not too long ago identifying some NFL referees' marks.

MeiGray gets four balls from each game from the Redskins, two from each game from the Chargers. We try to photo match the balls to TDs, important plays, etc. Sometimes we can, sometimes we cannot. The messier the field, the easier it is to photo match because the balls come to us with more dirt, scuffs, field paint, etc., on them.

We have on several occasions photo matched a jersey and a ball to the same photo. I remember doing that with RG 3 during his big rookie season. That afforded a great package to a collector, who took the combo with one really cool photo LOA.

Hope this helps,

Barry at MeiGray

JDF5244
11-27-2014, 11:56 PM
That's extremely helpful; I really appreciate it!
JDF

xsentrixsupra
11-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi JDF,

You bring up an interesting comparison, and I'm happy to offer some information while watching Eagles-Cowboys and digesting turkey (apple pie to come).

We work with the Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers, and offer game-used balls for both. So I can offer these insights:

According to the NFL Rule Book, each team provides 12 footballs, with their team name pre-printed on it, for use in an NFL game. The ref also adds eight Kicking balls (marked with a K) for use in the game. Each team uses its ball when it is on offense.

Two hours and 15 minutes before each game, the team provides these balls to the officials, who check to make sure they are properly sized and inflated. The referee then provides his individual mark (unique to him) on each ball. We have seen balls marked with initials, squiggles, anchors, and other interesting markings.

I think there was a thread on this Forum not too long ago identifying some NFL referees' marks.

MeiGray gets four balls from each game from the Redskins, two from each game from the Chargers. We try to photo match the balls to TDs, important plays, etc. Sometimes we can, sometimes we cannot. The messier the field, the easier it is to photo match because the balls come to us with more dirt, scuffs, field paint, etc., on them.

We have on several occasions photo matched a jersey and a ball to the same photo. I remember doing that with RG 3 during his big rookie season. That afforded a great package to a collector, who took the combo with one really cool photo LOA.

Hope this helps,

Barry at MeiGray

Good info, I never knew each team had their own balls, I thought everyone used the same ones. When a player picks off or recovers a fumble, it is technically the other team's ball then right? I'm guessing that the teams don't really care then about "giving" those balls away to the opposing team? Or is it something like afterwards the team who recovered the turnover has to reimburse the team who was the original owner of the balls?

BarryMeisel
11-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi X,

Good question ... I'm not certain if the teams reimburse each other when a player holds onto a ball if he scores a defensive TD. I would guess it would even out over a season, and isn't much in the scheme of things.

Special teams plays are all K or kicking balls, provided by the NFL.

Barry