PDA

View Full Version : How you ever REPURCHASED an old item you had?

jake33
01-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I was just curious if you ever Re-bought an old item after you have sold it. I feel like a moron but I have done this 3-4 times. I have kept every single persons email that I haev ever dealt with for a tracking system of my own

One time, I sold my Jeff Gooch bucs jersey when he was released by the Bucs in 2001, in 2004 he returned to the team and I wanted to get it backa nd the buyer was very kind and sold it back to me for the same price.

Later, I sold a Rays jersey to a member on this forum because I thought the player was going to be cut, 2 years ago, 2 years later he finally made it to the majors and I met this player (jon switzer) at a game last year and he was a SUPERB guy! So I was lucky enough to get the jersey back.

The STUPIDEST thing I did was a few years ago... As some of you know finding any current Buccaneers jerseys from the reebok era 2002-present is very very difficult as they are all on lockdown by ownership. i ahd an inside source that was supposed to get me about 12 bucs gamers about 2 years ago. I got excited and needing money for the supposed bulk buy and sold my Kenyatta Walker game sued Bucs jersey, while Walker arguably has been bust in Tampa the jersey had a lot fo significance. First it was from the 2002 Super Bowl season which makes it a very tough find, next I was able to photo match it to the 2002 NFC TITLE game in Philly. The bulk buy fell through. I was extremely lucky with a week of negotations to get the jersey back at almost the same price I sold it for. Just like breaking up with a girlfriend, you don't know how nice it is until it is gone.

indyred
01-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I haven't yet. I have put a few things up on ebay, decided mid auction to end it and keep it the item. I just couldn't bring myself to selling it. That is the special thing about game used stuff. It's all one of a kind. I only really like to sell game used items, knowing the money is going to buy some other gamer or justify the my latest purchase.

skipcareyisfat
01-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Good topic. There are probably half a dozen things I'd like to buy back, but I haven't seen a single one since I sold them, and most were sold 5-10 years ago. You'd think one or two would've at least popped up on eBay.

allstarsplus
01-03-2007, 10:37 AM
I bought back a pair of Rickey Henderson's cleats from his 3001st hit game.

If anyone wants to sell me back those great 2001 Pujols game used bats that I sold for under $1,000 4 years ago---let me know (lol).

Andrew

Kid4hof03
01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
There was a time when another Yankee collector on the forum and I traded bats and jerseys back and forth so much that it seemed we simply shared one collection.

There are a couple of items I'd like to replace but have never found the items available again.

Abe

JimCaravello
01-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Gee abe - you must be talking about me! I would be disappointed to find out if you were trading and selling to another Yankees collector back in the mid 90's.......it would be like you were almost cheating on me....( hee-hee ) Jim

camarokids
01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
In the spring of 1999 Wilson Alvarez gave me a A2000 Wilson Glove , said he used on opening day . After searching getty images I found out he meant opening day 1997 with the Giants not 1998 w/ the Devil Rays . Wilson had a strong accent , so it was hard to understand everything he said . For in 1998 he used a grey colored A2000 . Anyway a big collector with deep pockets knew I had the glove and offered me $500 . After debating it for months , I finally decided to take her up on her offer in the spring of 2000. I regretted selling the glove ever since . Well in Sept 2005 when I started collecting again I thought it would be cool to find that glove . Must've been a premonition , for I found the glove on ebay back in Oct 2006 and won the auction. I believe I have found a photo match (or style match). What do you all think ?????????How many of these gloves do players get ??????The lady I sold the glove said she got the glove signed .......it is autgraphed.........2806

camarokids
01-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi there again, I meant to say the glove was used on opening day 1997 w/ the White Sox not Giants . Wilson Alvarez started the '97 season w/ the ChiSox (started 22 games) then was traded to the Giants (started 11 games w/ SFG). In 1998 was traded to Tampa Bay .

camarokids
11-02-2007, 08:23 PM
In the spring of 1999 Wilson Alvarez gave me a A2000 Wilson Glove , said he used on opening day . After searching getty images I found out he meant opening day 1997 with the Giants not 1998 w/ the Devil Rays . Wilson had a strong accent , so it was hard to understand everything he said . For in 1998 he used a grey colored A2000 . Anyway a big collector with deep pockets knew I had the glove and offered me $500 . After debating it for months , I finally decided to take her up on her offer in the spring of 2000. I regretted selling the glove ever since . Well in Sept 2005 when I started collecting again I thought it would be cool to find that glove . Must've been a premonition , for I found the glove on ebay back in Oct 2006 and won the auction. I believe I have found a photo match (or style match). What do you all think ?????????How many of these gloves do players get ??????The lady I sold the glove said she got the glove signed .......it is autographed.........3341

Boy was I wrong . I still am not sure what Wilson Alvarez meant when he said he used the glove on Opening Day . I called Wilson Sports and spoke with Shane , who deciphered the date code AKN . The glove was manufactured in December of 1997 . Wilson Alvarez gave me the glove in the Spring of 1999 . The pictures above show him using the same type of glove in 1997 .

Well , I finally found the photographic evidence I needed . This picture places the same style of glove while he was in Tampa Bay . I bought a 1998 Upper Deck card that shows Wilson holding the same type of glove . The photo was taken at the Devil Rays practice facility in St. Petersburg, FL.

I think it is great, cause before the only pictures I have found of Alvarez while a Devil Ray, all showed him using a grey A2000 and a tan one . I like the glove a lot more now that it is most likely from his days at Tampa Bay....

What do you think?