PDA

View Full Version : Mattingly's Last HOF Stand

eric16841
11-25-2014, 11:23 AM
As Donnie Baseball heads to the ballets for the last time to make the Hall of Fame, he was featured this morning on Yankees.com in this article
http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/102183906/don-mattinglys-last-stand-tops-yankees-hall-of-fame-storylines.

In watching this video I noticed in these screen caps he wasn't wearing a 23 batting helmet he was wearing number 21 which would have been Pauly's helmet. Just thought it was an interesting player not wearing his gear.

Roady
11-25-2014, 12:31 PM
To be honest I never thought he had the stats to be a HOFer.
BUT, with all the Ozzie Smiths, Barry Larkins, and Ron Santos in the HOF he is as good or better than many there now.
Same goes for Dale Murphy.

BirdsOnBat
11-25-2014, 01:31 PM
BUT, with all the Ozzie Smiths, Barry Larkins, and Ron Santos in the HOF he is as good or better than many there now.

It's unfair to lump Ozzie in that class.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_SS.shtml

Roady
11-25-2014, 01:35 PM
It's unfair to lump Ozzie in that class.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_SS.shtml
Not in my opinion.
And if it is then I hope you don't protest too much when it is time for Andruw Jones to be voted on.

BirdsOnBat
11-25-2014, 01:48 PM
I hope you don't protest too much when it is time for Andruw Jones to be voted on.

It'd be an improvement from putting Puckett in at least...

Roady
11-25-2014, 01:54 PM
It'd be an improvement from putting Puckett in at least...
I don't even know how to respond to that. :confused:

gorilla777
11-25-2014, 04:45 PM
There's a chance he can get in as a manager though...what do you think, ShaimOnYou??:cool:

Ben

3arod13
11-25-2014, 05:27 PM
If not for his herniated disk problem, things may have turned out much better for him. I was a big Mattingly fan during his playing year. Hated that his career ended the way it did.

Chris78
11-25-2014, 07:00 PM

Ozzie Smith and Barry Larkin were much better than Mattingly. Keep in mind that Mattingly was a first baseman as well. Ron Santo is perceived as being in the Top 5 to 10 3rd baseman of all time. Dale Murphy just was not quite good enough for a long enough period of time -- just like Mattingly.

onlyalbert
11-25-2014, 08:22 PM
There's a chance he can get in as a manager though...what do you think, ShaimOnYou??:cool:

Ben
Oh that's rich! hahaahahahahaahah

ShaimOnYou
11-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Ben

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Love it Ben!)

Roady
11-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Ozzie Smith and Barry Larkin were much better than Mattingly. Keep in mind that Mattingly was a first baseman as well. Ron Santo is perceived as being in the Top 5 to 10 3rd baseman of all time. Dale Murphy just was not quite good enough for a long enough period of time -- just like Mattingly.
I always get a chuckle when people act like first basemen are less players or deserve less respect than other positions. First basemen are involved in more plays than anyone on the field except the pitcher and catcher.

ShaimOnYou
11-25-2014, 08:51 PM
If not for his herniated disk problem, things may have turned out much better for him. I was a big Mattingly fan during his playing year. Hated that his career ended the way it did.

In regards to him getting in as a manager, he'd have to fully recover from his herniated brain, and that's unlikely.

When a guy can't even grab the right helmet when he's coming to bat, how can you expect him to figure out the hand gestures to tell a base runner to steal?

Roady
11-25-2014, 08:54 PM
gorilla777,
You just had to get him started didn't you? :D

gorilla777
11-25-2014, 09:39 PM
gorilla777,
You just had to get him started didn't you? :D

I know, I know...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

nevrdiez34
11-25-2014, 11:12 PM

+1

sportsnbikes
11-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Frank White for the Hall of Fame.

swainer
11-26-2014, 09:14 AM
I'll put my vote in for the Big Wheel Lance Parrish for the Hall of Fame!

ShaimOnYou
11-26-2014, 01:29 PM
I'll put my vote in for the Big Wheel Lance Parrish for the Hall of Fame!

Lance was good.

Mike Piazza was better (think hitting).

Both...questionable ethics.

I'm just saying.

Chris78
11-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I always get a chuckle when people act like first basemen are less players or deserve less respect than other positions. First basemen are involved in more plays than anyone on the field except the pitcher and catcher.

Not sure where you feel I am downgrading first baseman. Actually, it relates to that some would argue that Mattingly's offensive statistics should be better for a HOF first baseman. I just saw a list of the Top 50 first basemen of all time when I did a google search and Don Mattingly was ranked 26th. It can be found at http://www.thebaseballpage.com/baseballpage/top/50-firstbasemen if you want to review it (just using this as a point of reference). Don Mattingly was a very good player, but did not quite play long enough in some people's minds, which creates the problem with his offensive stats.

The problem with what you said related to comparing to Ozzie Smith, Barry Larkin, and Ron Santo. Smith and Larkin were clear HOF players. Santo played 3rd base. If you are going to use a weaker HOF player, use Jim Rice as a reference, or #50 on the list: Frank Chance.