PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Feedback - What?

3arod13
11-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Haven't done much selling on ebay lately, and wasn't aware of the many changes they've made when it comes to feedback between buyers and sellers.

I just sold a few cards and an 8x10 signed photo (offerred free shipping), packaged securely in a priority mail envelope. Buyer emails me and claims priority mail envelope was folded and creased the photo. In order to do so, you would have to completely fold the envelope and push down on the envelope for this to happen. Even if you took each side of the envelope and brought both points together, it wouldn't fold, would only bend, but not damage a photo in the envelope. Envelopes are acturally pretty good.

Seller wants $25 of cost refunded. As I stated to the buyer, we can be resonsible for how the post office mishandles mail (if this even happened).

So, the buyer leaves me nutural feedback and stated bad packaging, which isn't accurate.

What shocked me was when I went to leave feedback, my options were only to leave positive.

This is truly ridiculous and unfair.

Jags Fan Dan
11-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Its been that way for a long time now, ebay is a buyers world.

3arod13
11-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Its been that way for a long time now, ebay is a buyers world.

Truly sad and unfair!

xpress34
11-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Tony -

I had my 1st ever non paying bidder a couple of weeks ago. He wrote and gave me a date he would (which I was fine with) then never contacted me again.

I opened a claim against him (feedback said it couldn't be left until I let claim run it's course). Claim closed and he got a non-paying bidder strike - and I can't leave feedback of any type.

It sucks.

- Smitty

otismalibu
11-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Two things:

- I would not want any photo shipped to me in a priority envelope unless it was in a top load or the seller added some sort of cardboard backer. It does not have to be folded flat to leave a mark.

- Insurance is for the seller.

3arod13
11-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Two things:

- I would not want any photo shipped to me in a priority envelope unless it was in a top load or the seller added some sort of cardboard backer. It does not have to be folded flat to leave a mark.

- Insurance is for the seller.

Photo was heavy stock and was placed in a thick plastic sheet. There was also a large bubble wrapped brown envelope inside in which there was one PSA card in a holder, in addition to a few other cards. The envelope was pretty thick and solid.

Free Shipping, Priority Mail, $50 insurance.

I have shipped and received more than 100 photos in priority mail envelopes with zero problems.

I agree that ifyou emailed the seller and told them to do that, then good. However, you can't hold sellers responsible for the post offices mishandling of mail.

In this situation, it's the post office...not the seller! Photo did not have any creases in it, nor did the envelope when mailed.

Thanks!

3arod13
11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
But I will add, this was a lesson learned and will be done in the future.

otismalibu
11-21-2014, 02:25 PM
However, you can't hold sellers responsible for the post offices mishandling of mail.

So if you order something on Amazon or any other website and it arrives damaged, what do you do? I don't think any of us would accept "Hey, it was fine when it left".

The deal ain't done until the item the buyer paid for is in his/her hands and in same condition as advertised.

ShaimOnYou
11-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Photo was heavy stock and was placed in a thick plastic sheet. There was also a large bubble wrapped brown envelope inside in which there was one PSA card in a holder, in addition to a few other cards. The envelope was pretty thick and solid.

Free Shipping, Priority Mail, $50 insurance.

I have shipped and received more than 100 photos in priority mail envelopes with zero problems.

I agree that ifyou emailed the seller and told them to do that, then good. However, you can't hold sellers responsible for the post offices mishandling of mail.

In this situation, it's the post office...not the seller! Photo did not have any creases in it, nor did the envelope when mailed.

Thanks!

Tony,

Did you ask this lying POS to send you a picture of the "crease" on the photo?

I for one don't believe the buyer, not at all. It's just another cheap (rhymes with bass and custard) trying to get a discounted price for ther items he bought from you. Happens all the time.

Tell him to send you a picture, or to go pound sand until his knuckles bleed. Then tell him to find a sidewalk and continue pounding.

I would also recommend you fight with ebay to get them to remove that feedback until they do. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Sometimes you've just got to take a stand. Not everything is "positive" in this world, no matter how much ebay or any other entity wants us all to think so.

Chris

Jim65
11-22-2014, 07:31 AM
The system was put in to stop sellers leaving retaliation feedback, which it looks like you were trying to do. I assume the buyer paid on time, received damaged merchandise and when he contacted you about it, you declined him any recourse? So he basically did nothing wrong. Whether you feel it was well packaged or not, the buyer has a right to disagree and leave appropriate feedback, you shouldn't get to retaliate because you are mad.

OTOH, I would never give partial refunds either, I would have told him to send it back for a total refund. That keeps away the guys who try to get discounts after the sale and I know that I am trying to do right if he was telling the truth about the damage.

3arod13
11-22-2014, 08:33 AM
The system was put in to stop sellers leaving retaliation feedback, which it looks like you were trying to do. I assume the buyer paid on time, received damaged merchandise and when he contacted you about it, you declined him any recourse? So he basically did nothing wrong. Whether you feel it was well packaged or not, the buyer has a right to disagree and leave appropriate feedback, you shouldn't get to retaliate because you are mad.

OTOH, I would never give partial refunds either, I would have told him to send it back for a total refund. That keeps away the guys who try to get discounts after the sale and I know that I am trying to do right if he was telling the truth about the damage.

I didn't do anything wrong either! Items were described and mailed as advertised. Envelope was not creased or folded when delivered to the post office. For all I know, the seller damaged the photo or changed his mind and didn't want the photo, but wanted to keep everything else. Creased the photo so he could get a partial refund, just incase I wasn't willing to take it back. Who knows. There are many difference scenarios in this situation that could have happened, but I as the seller, I will never know the truth. Buyers shouldn't have this type of power. When it left my hands, it was packaged and given to the post office in perfect condition.

Retaliation feedback, no. Proper feedback, yes! The package had $50 insurance on it, in which a claim could have been filed. Buyer decided on his own not to do so and left me negative feedback, without due process.

Thanks for the opinions and comments. I do understand all sides however.

otismalibu
11-22-2014, 08:44 AM
I think the seller needs to file the claim, so the buyer should have contacted you regarding any claim. They would have probably needed to send the damaged item back to you.
There's really no need for the buyer to quickly leave negative feedback. Not the best way to resolve any issues.

3arod13
11-22-2014, 08:49 AM
I think the seller needs to file the claim, so the buyer should have contacted you regarding any claim. They would have probably needed to send the damaged item back to you.
There's really no need for the buyer to quickly leave negative feedback. Not the best way to resolve any issues.

Agree! I advised him, he didn't respond, then I see the negative feedback. He wanted $25 directly from me immediately. Totally unfair!

In 809 feedback, I've never received one negative as a seller, until now. Member of ebay since 1989.

Well, guess we can squash this one. Many different opinions, which many can be justified and valid.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Jim65
11-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Not really saying you are wrong but put yourself in the buyers place, if he's telling the truth. You buy a pic on EBay, the pic arrives damaged and in your opinion the packaging contributed to the damage, you contact the seller and he basically tells you tough shit, you wouldn't leave whatever feedback you think is appropriate? I would.

It sucks but the seller should anticipate rough handling and package items accordingly even if it means overpackaging.

Phil316
11-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Agree! I advised him, he didn't respond, then I see the negative feedback. He wanted $25 directly from me immediately. Totally unfair!

In 809 feedback, I've never received one negative as a seller, until now. Member of ebay since 1989.

Well, guess we can squash this one. Many different opinions, which many can be justified and valid.

1989 eh. Ebays first year was 1995. Regardless the seller needs to file the claim. Although the buyer has to co operate its a fairly easy process and can be done online. On the bright side of things no matter what he does now you can only get 1 defect. I assume he left you all 1's in the dsr categories that he could. This is the new eBay. I am hoping now that Donahue is out things might change for the better. However one cannot stop and think eBay is moving Into the direction of catering to the big box stores.

sctizzle
11-22-2014, 11:30 AM
I've had numerous 8x10s from photo companies come damaged using the priority envelopes simply because the mailman curled the envelope to fit in my mailbox. No obvious damage to the envelope but an 8x10 will crease if curled. Whenever I have shipped an 8x10 I will only use a full size priority mail box not an envelope so it can't fit in someone's mailbox.

Scott

3arod13
11-22-2014, 11:42 AM
1989 eh. Ebays first year was 1995. Regardless the seller needs to file the claim. Although the buyer has to co operate its a fairly easy process and can be done online. On the bright side of things no matter what he does now you can only get 1 defect. I assume he left you all 1's in the dsr categories that he could. This is the new eBay. I am hoping now that Donahue is out things might change for the better. However one cannot stop and think eBay is moving Into the direction of catering to the big box stores.

Sorry, meant 1998.

3arod13
11-22-2014, 11:44 AM
I've had numerous 8x10s from photo companies come damaged using the priority envelopes simply because the mailman curled the envelope to fit in my mailbox. No obvious damage to the envelope but an 8x10 will crease if curled. Whenever I have shipped an 8x10 I will only use a full size priority mail box not an envelope so it can't fit in someone's mailbox.

Scott

Well, although I've never had problems in the past, I will learn from this situation and ensure any picture I mail, it is placed between two thick pieces of cardboard and in a box vice envelope.

Again, many thanks for the comments and opinions!!

Bhawk2
11-23-2014, 08:26 AM
There is a certain amount of trust needed on both side, and unfortunately, while most people are trustworthy, there's always a few. I shipped an old wooden Wrigley Field stadium seat several years ago via Fed Ex in a heavy, well fit box. The buyer claimed the seat arrived broken, and was rather abusive about how I had packaged it for shipment. He insisted if I had used more bubble wrap it wouldn't have broken. I had him return it, and the seat bottom was completely broken in half. Keep in mind that with this seat the seat bottom folds flat against the top and inside the cast iron frame, which wasn't broken. I don't know how that kind of damage could possibly happened in normal shipping. After some fighting I eventually refunded and blocked the buyer, and registered a probably useless complaint.

ShaimOnYou
11-23-2014, 07:07 PM

I agree on the second part of your statement 100%. Demand the item back so you can verify the damage. And in the unlikely case the item was damaged, then issue the refund.

But I don't believe the photo was damaged. If it was and his claim of "damage" was legit, the buyer would have demanded a full refund and offered to send it back.

ShaimOnYou
11-23-2014, 07:16 PM

Tony,

Not totally unfair.

Totally BOGUS. The buyer handled the whole situation like a chump because he's not being honest. It's obvious.

I think your suspicion he may have changed his mind about wanting the picture after it showed up is spot on.

Chris

ShaimOnYou
11-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Not really saying you are wrong but put yourself in the buyers place, if he's telling the truth. You buy a pic on EBay, the pic arrives damaged and in your opinion the packaging contributed to the damage, you contact the seller and he basically tells you tough shit, you wouldn't leave whatever feedback you think is appropriate? I would.

It sucks but the seller should anticipate rough handling and package items accordingly even if it means overpackaging.

Jim,

Buyers on ebay are ALWAYS protected via paypal's policies. It's noble that you're commenting on the "possible" scenarios that could occur, but by the way this chump buyer handled this whole thing, it's obvious to me he isn't being honest.

He should have offered to return the picture from the start. That's the "proper" scenario.

Leaving neutral feedback and walking away is the chicken-poop way. If I were Tony I'd present this exact argument to ebay as to why he should demand they remove that neutral feedback. If they balk, then Tony should demand, via Paypal's rules, that the damaged item be returned through the proper process, then the refund can be made. Once resolved, he can then demand ebay remove the improper feedback.