PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: To sign or not to sign?

jfbrens
11-13-2014, 05:12 PM
About a year ago I finally got my hands on a Grail item: a Randy White game used jersey. Pounded. Anyway I noticed Randy will be signing at a show in Chicago in a couple weeks and am torn on whether to get it signed by him or not. I'm leaning towards no but wanted to get opinions. Discuss.

Lunytune2
11-13-2014, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't .... it was not signrd when he wore it .

cliffjmp33
11-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Is it possible to find a photo of him in the jersey and have him sign the photo instead? You could possibly display the photo and jersey together. Just a thought if your not positive about having the jersey signed.

HawaiiSportsNut
11-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I am not a big fan of having game used jerseys signed. I usually take pics of the jersey & make a 8X10 collage with the jersey & photo of the jersey being used in a game if possible. I then get the player to sign the photo.

I did that with my Dane Sardinha jersey & will have that done with my Kurt Suzuki jerseys.
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/8120/d5RMqh.jpg

esigs
11-13-2014, 07:56 PM
I agree with the previous replies. I wouldn't get a GU jersey signed, although I would get a GU bat or glove signed. I like the idea of having a picture of him wearing the jersey signed instead.

sportsnbikes
11-14-2014, 01:06 AM
I think it depends. If he recognizes it as a jersey of his or if you can show him a photo match, maybe he tags it with a nice GU XXXX on it. Then I think you get it signed.

ShaimOnYou
11-14-2014, 01:50 AM
There's nothing like a nice signature of a great player on one of his gamers, adds value to it, especially if you can get him to add a nice inscription.

"How 'bout some more beans, Mr. Taggart?" is always a great one for a Cowboy.

Whatever you choose, I wish you well in your decision making.

salukidave
11-14-2014, 03:14 AM
I wouldn't get it signed. Too many things could go wrong with the actual signing and then down the road with fading, bleeding, etc.

I've passed on buying many jerseys because they had been signed.

It's amazing how many jerseys are signed badly.

ivo610
11-14-2014, 04:55 AM
For me, an item is much less desirable if its signed.

skyking26
11-14-2014, 06:44 AM
I get any game used bat, jersey, glove etc signed in my collection. Always have always will. People will debate this forever like they do cracked vs uncracked bats.

I view the gamer as retired and signed upon that retirement and in my collection. My Trammell road Tigers will be signed Saturday afternoon...

Regarding the cracked vs uncracked delimma - I always buy unc. because I want a bat that looks like it still could be used. Signatures add in either case - for me.

helf35
11-14-2014, 07:23 AM
I get any game used bat, jersey, glove etc signed in my collection. Always have always will. People will debate this forever like they do cracked vs uncracked bats.

I view the gamer as retired and signed upon that retirement and in my collection. My Trammell road Tigers will be signed Saturday afternoon...

Regarding the cracked vs uncracked delimma - I always buy unc. because I want a bat that looks like it still could be used. Signatures add in either case - for me.

I agree. I like to photo match something and then have an inscription added if it goes with the significance of the item. I have an Adam Dunn bat from the WBC he used to hit 2 Hr's and I have it inscribed Game Used WBC. I recently got all 4 of My Chris Sale jerseys signed with inscriptions. I think inscriptions add a visible story to the jersey because it comes from the player. Just my 2 cents.

ShaimOnYou
11-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Why are there large signing events going on throughout the course of the year where fans can meet athletes and obtain their signatures? Because it's an undesirable thing to do? Because it devalues the items being signed?

What's worth more in the hobby, a home run ball of Hank Aaron's signed and inscribed by him, or one of his home run balls that's just got a little bit of dirt on it with no direct lineage, provenance, or significance because he hasn't "identified" it? Gracing it with recognition by placing his signature and inscription on it is the way to go, 100% of the time.

Yes, there are a LOT of variables you need to manage while attending a signing. One needs to do a lot of homework (have the athlete use the right pen for the item, place the signature in the right spot, etc.) and when an athlete's penmanship is poor, yeah, that effects the decision making process too. But the bottom line is, it's a personal preference thing whether or not you want to have an item signed.

For me? Have him sign it!

Chris

joshmiller0
11-14-2014, 06:37 PM
If you are going to keep the jersey anyway, do what you think would look best.. I got a game issued jersey signed, but on the back.. I actually display the front because I like the front better, but I still know it's signed. If you're going to sell it I'd leave as is.

jfbrens
11-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Love all the opinions and as I almost expected it seems there is no consensus. I do have 3 photos of him wearing the jersey. Actually was worn in the January 1986 playoff loss to the Rams as well as the week before against the 49ers when he got a sack on Montana. Would asking him to write "playoff game used" add value? Does anyone have any experience with asking athletes to inscribe such a thing. Like I said I have 3 clear photo matches on it

helf35
11-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Here is one of my examples. Sometimes guys are more than happy to especially for a premium item like that but other times guys are just there for the quick payday and will not even look at you or acknowledge that you exist. Chris Sale was a cool dude, he took the time to talk to you and give out a nice sig and inscription. I asked him about the jersey and he explained that they received 2 bp jerseys one for each day and he had the other one. Mine is MLB authenticated to the derby and workout day.

Neely8
11-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Why are there large signing events going on throughout the course of the year where fans can meet athletes and obtain their signatures? Because it's an undesirable thing to do? Because it devalues the items being signed?

What's worth more in the hobby, a home run ball of Hank Aaron's signed and inscribed by him, or one of his home run balls that's just got a little bit of dirt on it with no direct lineage, provenance, or significance because he hasn't "identified" it? Gracing it with recognition by placing his signature and inscription on it is the way to go, 100% of the time.

Yes, there are a LOT of variables you need to manage while attending a signing. One needs to do a lot of homework (have the athlete use the right pen for the item, place the signature in the right spot, etc.) and when an athlete's penmanship is poor, yeah, that effects the decision making process too. But the bottom line is, it's a personal preference thing whether or not you want to have an item signed.

For me? Have him sign it!

Chris

Because there are a million other things to get signed other than a game worn jersey at a signing. And the OP wasn't asking opinions on getting a game used baseball signed. He was solicting opinions regarding a game worn jersey. To me that is apples and oranges. I don't have a problem with getting a game used baseball signed but can't stand signed game worn jerseys and have passed on some due to that. Fortunately I know of a few people now who can remove signatures from jerseys if I ever come across one I can't live without.