PDA

View Full Version : I Hate When TPA's Do This!

ironmanfan
11-02-2014, 10:23 AM
I recently acquired a signed, Bill Ripken Game Worn hat via an auction site and was diappointed to see that the "verification sticker" was placed right over the player's hand written uniform number. Let's face it, there were a lot of other places on the hat's underside where it could have been placed. As you can maybe see, I tried to peel it off but decided against it.....

UGH

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/1hat_zps0d5d7e0e.jpg

3arod13
11-02-2014, 10:26 AM
I recently acquired a signed, Bill Ripken Game Worn hat via an auction site and was diappointed to see that the "verification sticker" was placed right over the player's hand written uniform number. Let's face it, there were a lot of other places on the hat's underside where it could have been placed. As you can maybe see, I tried to peel it off but decided against it.....

UGH

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/1hat_zps0d5d7e0e.jpg

Possible it's not his cap, but he sign it, and that's why the covered up the written number? Sure doesn't make sense they would do something like that.

ironmanfan
11-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Possible it's not his cap, but he sign it, and that's why the covered up the written number? Sure doesn't make sense they would do something like that.

The hat was advertised as game used by Billy (nd I bid accordingly) and when I showed it to him personally, he confirmed it was his (as far as he could tell). This hat was a part of a game used bat/hat combination lot.

3arod13
11-02-2014, 11:56 AM
The hat was advertised as game used by Billy (nd I bid accordingly) and when I showed it to him personally, he confirmed it was his (as far as he could tell). This hat was a part of a game used bat/hat combination lot.

Well, glad to hear that!!

Wrigley2010
11-02-2014, 01:42 PM
You would think authenticators would have a set of SOP's regarding the placement of their stickers. I've actually seen this happen on a few different occasions where a sticker was placed in an area that obstructed the item in some form. Wouldn't putting the sticker in the most inconspicuous spot be the most desirable option for the customer? It's hard not to wonder if these TPA's think their sticker is as important as the actual piece they are authenticating.

icollectDCsports
11-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Is the authentication represented by the sticker for the autograph or for the game worn nature of the hat (or both)? It's unfortunate, but I'd think the auto authentication folks may have less sensitivity to the possibility that the placement of their sticker could obscure certain markings important to identifying the game worn aspect of items. In general, I'm not a fan of how prominently some TPAs place their stickers, which I think are generally pretty gaudy and ugly. On examples is bats. I often see stickers placed on the front of bats near to and detracting from the labels. I'd much rather the stickers be on the back so that they would not be seen when the bat is displayed in its label-forward position. That's my preference, although I can imagine that some collectors like having the stickers more prominently placed so that those looking at the items will see that they're authentic.

camarokids
11-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Common sense is NOT so common in America anymore!

ShaimOnYou
11-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Common sense is NOT so common in America anymore!

Agreed. We're so dumbed down now it's almost painful.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201407/anti-intellectualism-and-the-dumbing-down-america

It's permeating every part of our society.

HOW in the world can a guy in this business who's conscious, awake, breathing air, place a sticker over a number on the hat? If you're in the hobby, you just know better, don't you?

Wrigley2010
11-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Is the authentication represented by the sticker for the autograph or for the game worn nature of the hat (or both)? It's unfortunate, but I'd think the auto authentication folks may have less sensitivity to the possibility that the placement of their sticker could obscure certain markings important to identifying the game worn aspect of items. In general, I'm not a fan of how prominently some TPAs place their stickers, which I think are generally pretty gaudy and ugly. On examples is bats. I often see stickers placed on the front of bats near to and detracting from the labels. I'd much rather the stickers be on the back so that they would not be seen when the bat is displayed in its label-forward position. That's my preference, although I can imagine that some collectors like having the stickers more prominently placed so that those looking at the items will see that they're authentic.

JSA only authenticates autographs so the sticker is for the autograph. Regardless of whether an autograph authenticator would be as sensitive to sticker placement as a game use authenticator really shouldn't be an issue. These companies should have SOP's in place that guide their employees on where a sticker should be placed. If they really allow the authenticator to place it at their discretion then JSA and all the others need to change their procedures. I know PSA and their game use authenticators will accept requests on sticker placement prior to them authenticating the item.

sportsnbikes
11-03-2014, 12:22 AM
This all goes back to, how many "experts" do these TPA's actually have? I find it very hard to believe these "experts" are anything more than entry level workers sitting there looking at these autographs and giving a best guess as to authenticity. With millions of submissions, how many "experts" can these companies truly have?

If you're an entry level worker without knowledge of game used, you don't get it that you shouldn't put the stick over the hat number.

3arod13
11-03-2014, 05:46 AM
On examples is bats. I often see stickers placed on the front of bats near to and detracting from the labels. I'd much rather the stickers be on the back so that they would not be seen when the bat is displayed in its label-forward position. That's my preference, although I can imagine that some collectors like having the stickers more prominently placed so that those looking at the items will see that they're authentic.

I don't care for stickers being placed on my bats. I have them placed on the LOA. Since the LOA shows a picture of the item, I think it's ok to do that, without any potential issues and/or concerns in the future.

Curious, as a potential buyer, would this bother and/or concern you?

danesei@yahoo.com
11-03-2014, 05:59 AM

UGH

Two questions:

1) Didn't the photo show the signature when you bought the hat?
2) Did someone try to move the sticker? It looks like two pieces are missing from the "tamper-proof" sticker.

mr.miracle
11-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I recently took a number of items to a local shop where JSA was onsite doing authentication. I had some simple signed balls and also had some game used bats and jersey's that I wanted to get done that had no authentication for the auto's.

Before I could even tell the JSA rep that I wanted to have the hologram for the game used bats put on the authentication LOA instead of on the front of the bat, the rep actually brought this up. He stated that he thinks it detracts from the game used item to have the hologram sticker front and center on the bat or jersey. I was surprised as normally I have to ask them to do that or place it inside the cupped end of the bat for instance some place inconspicuous.

I agree with a previous poster it would make sense if there are standards of operation that these companies would use when placing the hologram on the item. At the very least you would think that they would not cover up a players number on the underside of a hat.

tigerdale
11-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I couldnt agree more!! I wish MLB would learn some of this....the sticker is to authenticate, not become part of the display. On bats , not on the front of the barrell, nameplates..please put them on the backside, helmets...inside...

sprint23
11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I have had the same experience as Mr. Miracle when JSA visits locally. They actually suggest adding decal to the letter or have suggested the most inconspicuous places. So at least some of them seem to have sense.