PDA

View Full Version : Spreading Cheer thru memorabilia

metsbats
10-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Recently I picked up a new game issued Ed Hearn bat from ebay and this is how it looks like now. Here's the story behind this.

Jack is a young man who lives here in Long Island and has gone through 3 liver transplants, 25 months of chemo/cancer, hip replacement, and just yesterday knee replacement surgery. He's been sick most of his young life. Jack and his family met Ed Hearn up in Cooperstown many years ago and a friendship was born. Ed always says this kid's health issues makes his own health problems look minute in comparison.

I always like to think I'm the number one Ed Hearn fan out there but young Jack is right up there too. So when Tim Byington alerted me to this Hearn bat on ebay I knew right way where it was going to go.

As I told Ed the other day after he received the bat to sign to Jack, this is something every Ed Hearn fan should have.

David

seanbaseball
10-31-2014, 05:38 PM
That is very cool!

ironmanfan
11-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Neat pickup. Did something happen to Jack or has he simply decided to divest part of his collection?

joelsabi
11-01-2014, 10:11 AM
nice story. you have a link to the auction. just curious how he described it.

joelsabi
11-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Recently I picked up a new game issued Ed Hearn bat from ebay and this is how it looks like now. Here's the story behind this.

Jack is a young man who lives here in Long Island and has gone through 3 liver transplants, 25 months of chemo/cancer, hip replacement, and just yesterday knee replacement surgery. He's been sick most of his young life. Jack and his family met Ed Hearn up in Cooperstown many years ago and a friendship was born. Ed always says this kid's health issues makes his own health problems look minute in comparison.

I always like to think I'm the number one Ed Hearn fan out there but young Jack is right up there too. So when Tim Byington alerted me to this Hearn bat on ebay I knew right way where it was going to go.

As I told Ed the other day after he received the bat to sign to Jack, this is something every Ed Hearn fan should have.

David

misread it. nice gesture David. Its great to see comradeship between other player collectors.

cjw
11-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Nicely done! Met Ed back in the late '90's when he caught a game in Toronto at the SkyDome club "Sightlines" with a group including Stan Musial. Bib Ed and Stan were very gracious and friendly. Enjoyed interacting with them for an afternoon.

metsbats
11-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Neat pickup. Did something happen to Jack or has he simply decided to divest part of his collection?

Jack's doing great. He's heading home 2 days after the knee replacement on Thurs. I hope the bat will be there when he arrives at home.:)

metsbats
11-01-2014, 12:04 PM
misread it. nice gesture David. Its great to see comradeship between other player collectors.

Jack's not a collector at all. He's just a big fan of Ed. This will be his first bat:)