PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on BP Bats

geoff
12-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Are Batting Practice Bats worth alot less than Game Used Bats.Are they not as a highly sought after collectible as Game Used Bats.Thoughts as in a local store in the area they had a few BP bats a few weeks ago that i was looking at.Thanks Geoff

3arod13
12-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Would think game used bats are much more in demand that BP bats. I prefer game used bat. Wouldn't want a BP bat myself.

suave1477
12-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Game Used bats are more sought after and worth more then Batting Practice bats. I think Batting Practice Bats are still pretty cool to pick up especially if the player your seeking is a premium Star player then is Game Used bats might be out of your financial range.
So consider a Batting Practice bat to be the Economical Bat.

Think of it like this maybe you can't afford to own a Ruth or Mantle Game Used bat but it would still be pretty cool to at least own one of there Batting Practice bats!!!

staindsox
12-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Most people seem prefer a true "game used" bat. I guess I do as well, but I don't mind BP or spring training bats. They usually sell for less, but often show heavy use. I like my bats showing ball and lacing marks, ink transfers, and pine tar. If you don't mind a lower re-sale value, I think BP bats make a nice addition to any collection.

Chris

10thMan
12-31-2006, 07:21 PM
I like B.P. Bats, specially AUTHENTIC ones from a favorite Player. I like Strong use & Chacteristics, Lots of B.P. Bats show Heavy use! I bought a Gwynn 279H Rawlings B.P. with Heavy Use & showed it to him... He was definitely interested in where I got it, & how much I paid. He suggested that Gamers are worth more...He was nice enough to Sign it, I was grinning all the way Home. This is now a Favorite Bat.

Important thought...I have very Limited Knowledge on Gamers Vs. Practice Bats. I have decent knowledge on a few Players. This is one of the Challeges I face Collecting Bats.

Where can I learn more (books etc) about who uses what??? Thanks!

Happy Holidays,
Sean

kylehess10
12-31-2006, 07:57 PM
I like BP bats since they are much cheaper and probably used more but I'd prefer a bat used during a game

geoff
01-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Great thought all keep them coming.Geoff

eGameUsed
01-01-2007, 01:45 PM
From my experience with Astros bats, most players don't use separate BP and game bats. In fact, Biggio uses bats in BP to get a feel for his preference for game time. I am not sure he still does this, as I have seen a few of his recent bats pounded with the light green ball marks, and some with only the game MLB blue ball marks. I have a lot of Astros bats that show both the green practice and blue MLB ball marks.

Happy New Year!

kingjammy24
01-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Would think game used bats are much more in demand that BP bats. I prefer game used bat. Wouldn't want a BP bat myself.

just curious if you noticed the "tan lines" on one of your arod bats (indicating it was once taped up as a bp bat)?

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1498/arodgk8.jpg

rudy.

geoff
01-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Great story 10th man i would be loving the bat also.

3arod13
01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
It is not a BP bat.

3arod13
01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
just curious if you noticed the "tan lines" on one of your arod bats (indicating it was once taped up as a bp bat)?

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1498/arodgk8.jpg

rudy.

Rudy, I do appreciate your keen eye, as you have proven over and over the level of your knowledge. However, sometimes things may not be as they look. The two arod bats are Game Used and not Batting Practice bats. As always, good eye however.

Arod: Caption: 26 Jul 1998: Infielder Alex Rodriguez #3 of the Seattle Mariners in action during a game against the Baltimore Orioles at the Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland. The Mariners defeated the Orioles 10-4. Mandatory Credit: Doug Pensinger /Allsport

Wright: Caption: ATLANTA - JULY 2006: David Wright #5 of the New York Mets in the on-deck circle at Turner Field during a season game against the Atlanta Braves on July 29, 2006 in Atlanta, Georgia. The Mets defeated the Braves 11-3. (Photo by John Capella/Sports Imagery/Getty Images)

Griffey: Caption: CINCINNATI - SEPTEMBER 25: Ken Griffey Jr. #3 of the Cincinnati Reds looks on as he stand on the on deck circle during the game against the Chicago Cubs at Great American Ball Park on September 25, 2006 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Reds won 5-4. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Matsui: Caption: NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Hideki Matsui #55 of the New York Yankees waits on deck against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on September 13, 2006 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx borough of New York City. The Yankees defeated the Devil Rays 8-4. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

3arod13
01-10-2007, 07:56 AM
The two arod bats are Game Used and not Batting Practice bats.

Rudy, I forgot to add that prior to Arod adding the "1998 Game Used" inscription, he did state (confirm) that these bats were not batting practice bats.

All my best, Tony

geoff
01-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I did pick up a Alfonso Soriano BP bat from Kim at Ball Parkl Heroes.Got the bat real fast also.Geoff

Rboitano
01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Have you ever been able to locate a photo of Arod using a blonde Louisville in a game? The only photos I have ever seen are of him using them in BP.

gameused
01-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Have you ever been able to locate a photo of Arod using a blonde Louisville in a game? The only photos I have ever seen are of him using them in BP.

Here's Arod using a blonde LVS vs the Reds on 8-21-06

Yankwood
01-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't see a Louisville label at all.

Rboitano
01-12-2007, 12:21 AM
I dont see any kind of logo on that bat. I do see that he is wearing Posada's wrist bands with 20 stiched on them.

Rboitano
01-12-2007, 12:28 AM
I have searched for photos of Arod swinging a natural color Louisville in game from the beginning of his career on and have yet to find one. But every bat he has sold through the years he has always signed as game used, even the natural Louisvilles and natural and black Rawlings. I have seen numerous photos of him using those bats in BP. If I was looking for an Arod bat I would stay with a black Louisville or a Old Hickory which he used quite frequently in 2003 and 2004. He did use quite a few Bonds colored two toned Sam bats the past year, but he also well known to use teammates bats. Jt Sports just got an awesome Jeter labeled bat that was used by Arod this past year.

kingjammy24
01-12-2007, 01:01 AM
while i know most realize this, i'll mention that it's really difficult to say with any certainty that a player didn't use a certain bat based solely on a lack of photos of them using that sort of bat. although i too have only seen arod using blonde lvs' in bp, i know he could easily have used a few during games.

i have a 1992 roberto alomar zett gamer. it was purchased directly from the jays back in 1992, shows decent use, has r.a. engraved in the knob, along with "12" and "alomar" in marker on the knob. unfortunately, i'll likely never find a picture of alomar using a zett. this doesn't take away from the overwhelming likelihood that he used the zett. similarly, juan iglesias has said that canseco used a few zett bats. although i've never seen a single photo of canseco using a zett, i have no doubt that juan is telling the truth.

however, i'd agree that anyone purchasing a bat would be served to seek out a typical or well-known example.

rudy.

Rboitano
01-12-2007, 01:28 AM
It is just my opinion that blonde Louisvilles from Arod, even the ones signed game used are still BP bats. I just cannot see how their is any definate evidence that all of these blonde Louisvilles got real game use without every getting photographed at least once or twice during a game. Ive looked through Getty numerous times and have found Arod in BP using blonde Louisvilles and black and natural Rawlings.

10thMan
01-12-2007, 03:25 AM
Geoff, Thanks!
Here`s a Pic. of the Bat Gwynn Signed for me.
Sean

3arod13
01-12-2007, 07:15 AM
It is just my opinion that blonde Louisvilles from Arod, even the ones signed game used are still BP bats. I just cannot see how their is any definate evidence that all of these blonde Louisvilles got real game use without every getting photographed at least once or twice during a game. Ive looked through Getty numerous times and have found Arod in BP using blonde Louisvilles and black and natural Rawlings.

Rboitano, this will be my last response in reference to my two Arod bats:

Fact: Arod used Blonde Louisville Slugger Model I13 in games early in his career (This was verified by Arod himself)
Fact: Arod ordered 108 Blonde LVS Model I13 bats (88 blonde, 18 black) from 1996-2000. Mostly blonde of this model!
Fact: Arod signed the bats "1998 Game Used."
Fact: I have a letter, with his picture, of him signing these bats.

Let's see who I should believe...Arod himself (fact)...or others (opinions).

Has it been proven that Arod has done any dishonest or wrong with his items? If you recall, ASI was selling arod items without his permission, and arod terminated doing business with them.

Your Quote: I just cannot see how their is any definate evidence that all of these blonde Louisvilles got real game use without every getting photographed at least once or twice during a game.

My Response: Photo matching is great, if you can find it. However, be realistic. it is impossible to photo match many items out there. Heck, there are 162 games played in a season. 162 games played in 1998. Do you honestly think there are photo's out there of every game...every inning...every at bat? NO! There are very limited pictures of arod in games during 1998. Getty Images provides some photo's, but not all. Not every game...every inning...every at bat! I can't even find a photo match anywhere of my 1996 Arod HR #15 bat. Does that mean it's not authentic???

I find it funny that with all the documentation I have with these bats, people still enjoy picking it apart with there opinions. I would say with the documentation that I have for these two bats, I am pretty confident and satisified.

I realize there are a lot of Arod haters out there, and that's fine. However, I have no proof or reason not to trust him!

No, I'm not getting defensive. This is a result of the low life's in this hobby who have ruined it for so many collectors and fans! I've been collecting for 31 years (I'm 47), and I'm discussed with what is going on in this hobby. Not only with game used stuff, but authentication, etc.

In closing, I do appreciate all the comments and opinions in reference to this subject.

As always, I appreciate everyones time and efforts in this forum! I love this forum! I have also learned alot.

I'm signing off on this subject and will not respond again!

All my best, Tony

3arod13
01-12-2007, 07:23 AM
while i know most realize this, i'll mention that it's really difficult to say with any certainty that a player didn't use a certain bat based solely on a lack of photos of them using that sort of bat. although i too have only seen arod using blonde lvs' in bp, i know he could easily have used a few during games. rudy.

Rudy, although many of us agree to disagree in this forum, I have a lot of respect for your knowledge and how you respond to so many things in this forum, whether good or bad. You're a class act!

All my best, Tony

3arod13
01-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Sorry, forgot to add the picture of the LOA.

Fact or Opinion? You make the call!

Nnunnari
01-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Sean,
where'd you get Tony to sign your bat?

10thMan
01-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Nnunnari, Tony Signed it at Blair Field. The SDSU Aztecs were visiting Long Beach. He was very Nice, asked questions etc. I didn`t bring my Camera, but will try again This Monday. I`m going to SDSU Practice, I`m from San Diego (39 yrs) currently living in San Pedro.

Sean

scottanservitz
01-12-2007, 11:07 PM
I like game used bats more than bp bats, but an all-star player's bp bat is a much more affordable way to go. I have to give my opinion on the ARod bat debate since I got sucked in when I was at the National in Atlantic City. I purchase at the time a 2001 Arod LS G174 that was represented as a game used bat. This was before this forum was introduced to me. After buying the bat which was hammered with use and autographed by Arod I too went searching for photo evidence that he indeed used this type of bat in a game. After countless hours of searching I couldn't find one picture of Arod using a blonde LS bat in a game. I even had my brother search for a picture. Well I called the dealer and explained to him that I couldn't find any evidence of this being an actual gamer. He told me to watch SportsCenter that night because Arod was using a blonde bat. I believe this was 2003 but I could be wrong. Arod was using a blonde bat, but it was an Old Hickory bat. So this didn't help me out at all. Anyhow, the dealer didn't refund my money. I was a bit upset so I sent it to SCD Authentic to get authenticated. It got a grade of 7.5, but to find out that they grade bp bats the same as gamers. I don't know if MEARS now grades bats and records them as probably a bp bat or game bat. Anyhow, in all my endeavors of searching, my brother found two baseball cards of Arod using a blonde bat in a game. Both pictures seem to be of an actual game, one in the old Kingdome and one outside due to the road uni. I took a picture for everyone to see. They look like LS blonde bats to me. I don't see a label, but there doesn't seem to be a ring like Rawlings bats have and I am not sure of Arod using any off-brands back in 1997, which is when these cards were made. The cards are Upper Deck Collector's Choice The Big Show #41/45 and Upper Deck Season Highlights #319. Take a look, but in my opinion they appear to look like the I13 models that AROD13 posted. Take a look, and see what you think? Anyhow, in my collection I try to photo match jerseys and bats. Bats are much tougher due to the many used in a season. I style match bats more, and this at least gives me a better piece of mind with my collection. Thanks for letting me ramble, but I thought I would try and help out.
Scott
ps When buying a bat, jersey or anything else, research it before you buy it!

3arod13
01-13-2007, 08:18 AM
I like game used bats more than bp bats, but an all-star player's bp bat is a much more affordable way to go. I have to give my opinion on the ARod bat debate since I got sucked in when I was at the National in Atlantic City. I purchase at the time a 2001 Arod LS G174 that was represented as a game used bat. This was before this forum was introduced to me. After buying the bat which was hammered with use and autographed by Arod I too went searching for photo evidence that he indeed used this type of bat in a game. After countless hours of searching I couldn't find one picture of Arod using a blonde LS bat in a game. I even had my brother search for a picture. Well I called the dealer and explained to him that I couldn't find any evidence of this being an actual gamer. He told me to watch SportsCenter that night because Arod was using a blonde bat. I believe this was 2003 but I could be wrong. Arod was using a blonde bat, but it was an Old Hickory bat. So this didn't help me out at all. Anyhow, the dealer didn't refund my money. I was a bit upset so I sent it to SCD Authentic to get authenticated. It got a grade of 7.5, but to find out that they grade bp bats the same as gamers. I don't know if MEARS now grades bats and records them as probably a bp bat or game bat. Anyhow, in all my endeavors of searching, my brother found two baseball cards of Arod using a blonde bat in a game. Both pictures seem to be of an actual game, one in the old Kingdome and one outside due to the road uni. I took a picture for everyone to see. They look like LS blonde bats to me. I don't see a label, but there doesn't seem to be a ring like Rawlings bats have and I am not sure of Arod using any off-brands back in 1997, which is when these cards were made. The cards are Upper Deck Collector's Choice The Big Show #41/45 and Upper Deck Season Highlights #319. Take a look, but in my opinion they appear to look like the I13 models that AROD13 posted. Take a look, and see what you think? Anyhow, in my collection I try to photo match jerseys and bats. Bats are much tougher due to the many used in a season. I style match bats more, and this at least gives me a better piece of mind with my collection. Thanks for letting me ramble, but I thought I would try and help out.
Scott
ps When buying a bat, jersey or anything else, research it before you buy it!

Scott,

Thanks for you input and comments. Much Appreciated. Could you email me large scans of the cards? arod13tb@yahoo.com

I may have to go look for and buy those two cards myself.

Again thanks, Tony

3arod13
01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Scott,

Here's a few others I found from 1997. One blonde bat you can see it's not a LVS. The other two you can't tell.