PDA

View Full Version : ROGER MARIS game used glove help

CTjerseys1964
10-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I just acquired this early 60's Roger Maris glove along with a Mel Stottlemeyer glove. Both gloves came fom a former Yankees batboy who worked for the team in the early to mid 60's. Other items from the same person included two team signed photos....several game used bats including a Kaline and Tom Tresh...as well as game used hats....I am looking for glove experts to confirm the glove to be one that Maris would have ordered and used. I will also post pics of the Mel glove as well....as usual any help and opinions are appreciated!

CTjerseys1964
10-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Here pics of the Stottlemeyer glove

GoTigers
10-11-2014, 10:10 PM
I can't help with the gloves.. But I'd love to see that Kaline bat!

yanks12025
10-12-2014, 07:07 AM
A quick google search shows the Maris model 42-217 as a store model. I think he'd use something a litte more high quality than a store model made glove.

yanks12025
10-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Sorry meant model 42-137

CTjerseys1964
10-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info...although the glove I have is a Professional model 42-137 glove...as I said both gloves were acquired from former yankee bat boy from the mid 60's...the Kaline bat along with the Tom Tresh bat and some other game used bats were sold by my friend that acquired all of the pieces....there were several game used hats...2 yankee signed team photos one from 1962 and one from 1963...and a national league signed all -star bat that included Clemente and the entire national league team...that bat was sold at auction...I am just trying to see IF the Maris and Stottlemeyer could be game used based on the source and all of the other items that were part of the collection....IS the glove a Professional model he could have ordered or used? Again I appreciate any info and opinions.

teddy406
10-12-2014, 09:11 AM
I believe that the majority of the MLB players used PERSONAL model gloves not professional. I think the pro models you could pick up in any stores that sold gloves. Just my 2 cents.

rick
10-13-2014, 12:17 PM
There is a lot of misinformation floating around regarding game-used gloves, especially terms thrown around frequently such as “retail glove” vs “pro-model glove”. Gloves were either made for the retail market, or made for the professional player, and both could be, and frequently were, the same model number. The best example is the XPG-6 glove used by Mantle, as well as other professionals, including Sandy Koufax, and sold in retail stores as well. There were, however, substantial differences between XPG-6 gloves made for the retail market, and the ones made for the professionals. Experts such as Denny Esken, now doing authentication with John Taube at PSA, can tell the difference. Gloves made for professionals usually had some customizations (i.e. web, lacing, finger loops, lining, etc), and were always made from higher grade leathers than those used on gloves made for the retail market. Sometimes, a manufacturer used a different type of designation for a glove made for a professional, such as when Wilson used the CL designation for gloves made for professionals at their Chicago Leather facility in the 1950’s and 1960’s, but quite often there is no discernible difference in the glove’s stampings between them. I was able to physically examine a XPG-3 Herb Score glove from 1961 made for a professional, and the same model made for the retail market, and the differences were clear in the quality of the gloves.
If you really want to know, you could send the gloves to PSA.
Rick

-----------------------------
My collection of Sandy Koufax memorabilia can be viewed at SandyKoufax32.com (http://SandyKoufax32.com).

teddy406
10-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Good info. Thx. If it was me, I would send to Denny and get them authenticated. The Maris could be worth good money if legit.

CTjerseys1964
10-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info and help I do feel it would be worth having Mr Esken or John Taube look at both considering where they came from does anyone know how to contact either if them? Email address? Thanks

3arod13
10-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info and help I do feel it would be worth having Mr Esken or John Taube look at both considering where they came from does anyone know how to contact either if them? Email address? Thanks

http://www.gameusedbats.com

3arod13
10-13-2014, 06:11 PM

Jtbats@aol.com is John Taube's email

CTjerseys1964
10-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks for his email address...just sent him pics...

rick
10-13-2014, 06:46 PM
John and Denny are great to work with. Please let us know how it works out.

Rick

W_EISENHUTH
10-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Here's a Bobby Murcer game used glove authenticated by PSA's Taube and Esken - a Yaz Professional model:

http://www.goldinauctions.com/1963_1964_Bobby_Murcer_Game_Used_Spalding_Glove__P-LOT11624.aspx

W_EISENHUTH
10-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Here's a Bobby Murcer game used glove authenticated by PSA's Taube and Esken - a Yaz Professional model:

http://www.goldinauctions.com/1963_1964_Bobby_Murcer_Game_Used_Spalding_Glove__P-LOT11624.aspx

And the same glove sold earlier at a Hunt Auction:
http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=27&lot_num=637&lot_qual=

CTjerseys1964
10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Spoke with John and just overnited both gloves to him so that Mr. Esken can examine them in person...hoping they are authentic, and feel confident that they are considering the source and provenance along with the other items that were part of the collection...IF they are authentic I am curious on what they are worth...and opinions are appreciated...thanks!

3arod13
10-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Spoke with John and just overnited both gloves to him so that Mr. Esken can examine them in person...hoping they are authentic, and feel confident that they are considering the source and provenance along with the other items that were part of the collection...IF they are authentic I am curious on what they are worth...and opinions are appreciated...thanks!

Got my fingers crossed for you! Good luck!

yanks12025
10-25-2014, 05:35 PM
So what ever happened with these gloves???

CTjerseys1964
10-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Sorry for not updating...sent them to John...he sent them to Denny...Denny said they were retail gloves! BUMMER....oh well they did come from former Yankees bat boy, but Denny is the best in the business....oh well! Going to post pics of a Maris bat as well...came from someone else...def his model but not sure what it is...any info would be great!

CTjerseys1964
10-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Here are pics of the Maris bat...IF anyone would like to tarde a cool jersey for the gloves or the bat just lmk..not sure if it is ok to post that on here or not, so if not please lmk...thanks!

yanks12025
10-26-2014, 07:07 PM
That maris bat is a college bat.

cjw
10-26-2014, 10:51 PM
That maris bat is a college bat.

Correct. A team index bat. Maris specs but used by a school.

More importantly, you may want to share details with community about the source for the gloves (former bat boy) as it seems as he is misrepresenting (unintentionally or otherwise) items.

yanks12025
10-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Also wasn't this bat at the elephants trunk flea market yesterday in CT. The same dealer had a horrible Babe Ruth forgery baseball for sale.