PDA

View Full Version : HA Nov auction/Ian Kindler LOAs?

nickacs
10-03-2014, 09:02 PM
I've been around for years, but pardon my ignorance, who is this guy Ian Kindler that seems to have consigned a huge amount of game worn memorabilia to the upcoming HA Nov auction?
I see a couple jerseys that I have questions about, and this guy seems to have an LOA for just about every jersey in there! LOL. So, not sure who he is, if the ones I have questions on are legit or not.

Thanks in advance for any info!

danesei@yahoo.com
10-03-2014, 10:03 PM
I would assume it's the person who consigned the items to HA or a recently deceased relative of the consignor(s).

danesei@yahoo.com
10-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I would assume it's the person who consigned the items to HA or a recently deceased relative of the consignor(s).

Another possibility (due to proximity to Heritage's HQ) is that it's a derivatives trader based in Texas.

Cubanfan
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I had the same question. Here is the response from Heritage.

Hello,

Ian Kindler is the son of John Kindler, who was one of the nation’s first jersey collectors. The letter is signed by Ian on our letterhead and is for provenance. He is not an authenticator.

Carlos

nickacs
10-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Danesi - I thought that at first, but then when half of the game worn jerseys have a "letter" from this guy Ian, I figured it's not from the consignor but some sort of possible "authenticator" or "well-known" jersey expert. ie. Alan Meza for Jordan jerseys, our very own Dave Mediema, etc.

Carlos - Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I figured this has to be some sort of "important" person/collector, not the consignor.

Still never even heard of John Kindler, so a little leary of just taking word that this guy got all this "game worn" stuff from personal/3rd party collecting.

Thanks!

kneerat
10-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Hello,

Thank you for checking out ourcurrent auction. I can honestly say that in my many years in the hobby, I havenever been a part of such a spectacular offering of football material. I justwanted to reach out to those who had questions regarding the game-worn piecesfrom the John Kindler Collection. Every piece from the Kindler collection hasbeen reviewed by MEARS and will include an LOA from the authentication company.The letters from the family are simply for additional provenance. Below isinformation on the John Kindler Collection. If you have any additionalquestions, please email me at Chrisn@HA.com (Chrisn@HA.com).

It has been twenty years since John Kindler left his familyone of the most significant personal collections of game worn football jerseysever assembled, and it took that long for the Kindlers to come to terms withthe notion of parting with it. Kindler’s son Ian is quick to report thatthe pursuit of the next gridiron garment was his father’s greatest passion, hiscollection the thing that most succinctly defined this important pioneer of thehobby. Ian’s fondest memories of his father involve their shared pursuitof the next addition to the collection. “He got into it first throughUCLA equipment managers,” Ian explained. “UCLA was his first love. Thenit grew through those relationships, cold calling, and the fact that he somehowknew the sport would explode and very few were doing what he did. Hefocused on game used jerseys. Somehow he knew that would matter. UCLA,NFL, Heisman winners, and certain UCLA-related NBA was his focus.”

By the time of the elder Kindler’s 1994 passing, hiscollection had swollen to over 250 jerseys, representing two decades ofsingle-minded determination. In his earliest days of the hunt, just afterhis graduation from college, John Kindler was among the first game used jerseycollectors in the country, reaching out to team sources who were often confusedat the young man’s request for a dirty, old shirt. But Kindler’s charmwon most targets over. “He was very social, personable. He'd reachout to equipment managers first, then assistant coaches, management, and evenhead coaches,” his son reported.

Though his collection may have had little value in itsearliest days when few collected game used gear, today the Kindler Collectionis estimated at over a half a million dollars. Highlights includecollegiate jerseys from Heisman winners Barry Sanders, Tim Brown, Bo Jacksonand Herschel Walker, and professional gamers from Tony Dorsett, Roger Staubach,Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Bob Griese and more.

Heritage Auctions is proud to represent this importantcollection, and to honor this essential early pioneer of the sportscollectibles hobby. The earliest offerings from The John KindlerCollection appear in our July 2014 Platinum Night auction, and our November2014 Signature auction will highlight dozens of important jerseys from thisunique assembly. All will be accompanied by a letter of provenance fromIan Kindler.

nickacs
10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification and more information, Chris.

Good luck with the auction!