PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Royals Fans!

gingi79
09-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Man, y'all had to wait 30 years to get back to the playoffs and then it looked like it was going to be one a done but this scrappy team clawed their way back, forced extras and then gutsy baserunning leads them into a matchup with the Angels!

Fun team to watch, good luck next round and congrats on a damn fine win :)

sox83cubs84
10-01-2014, 08:43 PM
I've now got a team to root for in the ALDS, and hopefully beyond.

Dave Miedema

coxfan
10-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Congrats to Royals' fans, as well as to the other teams that made or contended for this year's postseason. I'm a fan of parity and an opponent of dynasties in sports, and my experience as baseball fan goes back to the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Things have never been more interesting than today with all these new fans going wild in cities all around the US.

I'm disappointed the Royals didn't bring up Whit Merrifield, their star player from their AAA team, in their September call ups. He's a legend here at the U. Of South Carolina, where his achievements include hitting the walk off single versus UCLA that won South Carolina the first of its two straight national titles in 2010. It was the "last at-bat at Rosenblatt" closing the traditional home of the College World Series in Omaha, NE after 61 years. Ironically, Merrifield played his AAA ball this year in Omaha for the Royals. My wife and I saw him get two hits in helping the Omaha team win the AAA Natuonal Championship game, held in Charlotte.

But Merrifield's not a large guy, and I think scouts underrate average-sized prospects.

TG19
10-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Yeah I live in San Diego, But I am rooting for the Royals!!!

gingi79
10-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Wow, dispatched the Angels with the same small ball and hustle. I'm cheering for this team!

I had a great discussion today with a fan of a rival team:

Would you, as a fan, rather see your team make the playoffs every few years but never contend or get in once after 3 decades and make a ton of noise with one really genuine chance to win the Series?

Baltimore/KC is looking like it may be a truly excellent series. Two long suffering fan bases and one will finally see their team in the World Series for the first time since 1983/1985 respectively! Great for baseball!

sox83cubs84
10-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Nice work, Royals! I'm still rooting for you.

Dave M.

Mark17
10-06-2014, 09:10 PM
I had a great discussion today with a fan of a rival team:

Would you, as a fan, rather see your team make the playoffs every few years but never contend or get in once after 3 decades and make a ton of noise with one really genuine chance to win the Series?

Being a Twins fan since the early 1960s, i was well worth the wait to see them win in 1987. When they also won in 1991, I figured that's worth enduring another 25 years of mediocrity. In fact, I'd be willing to go another 8 years from today, to see the Twins in the Series again.

As for the Vikings... Still waiting there and I'm 50+ years old. But it'll be worth it if they can win it all eventually.

So to answer your question, I'd be willing to be a loyal fan and wait half a lifetime or longer for that one, great season.

steelerman_7
10-08-2014, 09:11 AM
I would also be willing to wait a long time and have my team make a serious run or win a championship.

As a lifelong Pirates fan, it was well worth the wait to be able to experience last years Wild Card win, as well as pushing the Cardinals to the brink in the NLDS. I was hoping for another step forward this year, but it was still nice to see them make the playoffs.

I was not alive for the Super Bowl wins in the 70's for the Steelers, but they definitely put us through some tough losses in the 90's and 00's (AFC Championship Games in 94, 97, 01, 04 - Super Bowl XXX) before winning the "one for the thumb". All of those losses were definitely worth it though.

I am pulling for the Royals, but will not be too disappointed in the Orioles win as well. Just hoping either or them can knock off the Cards or Giants!

gingi79
10-10-2014, 11:38 PM
For the first time ever, an MLB team has won 4 straight Extra Innings games in the playoffs. Go KC

sportsnbikes
10-11-2014, 02:21 PM
As a lifelong Royals fan I can't even begin to describe the energy that this team has brought to the city let alone the feeling of euphoria that comes with every pitch, inning, hit and run.

The best part of it all is that the next generation has now seen some winning baseball. I got to take my 10 year old to the clincher against LA on Sunday and I was so happy he got to see that moment.

I should have known it was going to be a special season with how SungWoo's visit went while he was here. It was magical in itself and I got to spend quite a bit of time with him and learn a little about South Korean culture and history. He also knows more history of the Royals that most people who live here know.

Magical season so far...I hope it continues through the weekend and into next week and onto the WS.

gingi79
10-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Another great win highlighted by a Moose catch for the ages. Every long suffering fan base is watching this team in envy right now.

sox83cubs84
10-15-2014, 04:05 PM
3 down, 1 to go....time to finish the deal, Royals!

Dave M.

gingi79
10-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Congrats Royals Fans! Who would have picked KS even a month ago?

Enjoy it, y'all certainly waited long enough to see your guys in the Series, 4 more boys!

sportsnbikes
10-16-2014, 11:11 PM
It is unreal. This season is magical. From me and my fiance hosting SungWoo in Kansas City to the playoffs and now world series. Didn't miss a playoff game however the WS is a different story with these ticket prices. GO ROYALS!

CampWest
12-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the support and encouragement Gingi. Sorry I missed this thread a couple months back. I've not been frequenting the forums for quite a while.

It was an incredibly fun and exciting run. To answer the question posed earlier though, I'd rather be in contention occasionally than spending the better part of 30 years as the laughing stock of the league. Then again, I'd trade one championship for a half dozen failed playoffs.

True to my luck, I've been following the Royals devotedly for 40 years. The first time I am old enough to go to a playoff game I had major conflicts. I missed the Wild Card game as I was in Phoenix for business. I ended up skipping a business dinner and finding some other KC fans in the resort bar and still had a great time, but feel like I missed out on attending the best game I'd maybe ever see.

I then missed the ALDS and ALCS the following two weeks as I was overseas in London and Luxembourg for work followed by a vacation to Ireland. I tried to keep up with the games streaming to my laptop from pubs and hotel rooms in the early morning hours. Actually one game I watched from 1am to 5am in Luxembourg the morning before I had to present at a board meeting. And I made quite a ruckus in a pub in Dublin the night the Royals clinched the ALCS, poor Irish, Germans and Dutch had no idea what the crazy American in the corner was doing.

Thankfully, my boys in blue held out long enough though and I was home in time for the World Series and was able to attend three of the games in person and enjoy watch parties with various groups of friends for the others.

It was a great ride. I wish we hadn't come up short, but it was an incredible experience and has me craving a return ride... I just hope I don't have to wait until I'm 70 to see it, I may not make it that far...

Roady
12-19-2014, 08:45 PM
You know you are used to pulling for a perennial losing team when you plan your business trips and vacations during the playoffs. LOL :D

Sorry CampWest, I am sure most Cubs fans do the same thing.

Roady
12-19-2014, 08:47 PM
And I am just playing, no hurt feelings meant.
It was just too easy and I couldn't resist. :)