PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL Players who GU items are under valued or not really sought after

jake33
09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
In the 15 years of collection GU NFL jerseys, I notice with game used NFL items, more than any other sport - when a certain player is hot, the value goes for insane prices, and when an established player current or retired is not making heads line the value really goes under the radar.

Yes, this trend will happen in baseball memorabilia too, but a retired player's career stats seem to hold a lot more weight in baseball and are significantly more important than football. Steroids, aside, I tend to notice baseball memorabilia of retired players means a lot more in terms of value.

I remember a long time ago a forum member went to Packers tent sale and said the #1 item that was desired was stadium seats, while right next to the sold out seats were tons or really quality game used jerseys that were getting passed over. The forum member (forgive me I forgot who) said something to the effect that "NFL collectors value knick knacks more than jerseys." To which, I really think is very accurate.

NFL helmet collector's seem more willing to pay higher sums of money than jerseys to somewhat go along with that. That is just generally speaking though.

Below are some players that I have seen game used items of that I felt went too cheap...

Keenan McCardell -883 career catches which is in the top 20 all time with a couple pro bowls and super bowl rings.... I think his identity is with the Jaguars which does not have huge fan base. I know there is a big Brunell Collector on the forum, but have you ever heard anyone say that McCardell is their favorite player?

Tim Brown - eventually a HOF'er, 100 TD catches, almost 1100 career catches which is 5th all time. And with being a Heisman trophy Winner, I would think he would be $3000 jersey with great paperwork, but not sure if I have seen a gamer of his go that high

Curtis Martin - HOF career with 14,100 rushing yards, always heard good things about him. Not an overly flashy player but a true pro and played in New York, I would think he would have insane prices for being 4th all tiem leading rusher

Offensive lineman - HOF'ers like Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden, and Orlando Pace. Great great players, but doesn't translate into insane prices I have seen Anthony Munoz jerseys go fairly high... But with a position that doesn't have a lot of stats or glory attached to it, that may hurt the values a decent amount.

I always thought in comparison Derrick Brooks jersey were very cheap next to Brian Urlacher gamers, I always thought it mostly was due to the Bears being a popular team.

Any other players that come to mind?

Jags Fan Dan
09-30-2014, 04:53 PM
I have had a few McCardell items, he was always overshadowed on the Jags by Jimmy Smith. But I agree, he was a good one and no one seems to be hot after his stuff. Curtis Martin, on the other hand, the legit stuff I've seen sells pretty well in my opinion. I'll add two more to your list: Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

G1X
10-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Jake,

Nice analogy in comparing the value of Brooks jerseys to Urlacher's. Brooks is in the Hall of Fame, for goodness sakes, but as you stated, playing for a popular team has a big impact on the value. (Also has a big impact on a player's chances to make the Hall of Fame.)

As a long-suffering Atlanta Falcons fan, I will add offensive tackle-Mike Kenn, center-Jeff Van Note, and linebacker-Jesse Tuggle to the list. Offensive linemen jerseys are probably the least desired among football collectors (even kickers generally get more respect), and after they retire, the value bottoms out except for the very rare exceptions such as Anthony Munoz.

Kenn played 17 years in Atlanta and started all 251 games he appeared in. He was a 6-time all star and would arguably be in the Hall of Fame had he played on a high profile team such as the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, etc.

Van Note played an amazing 18 years and went to the Pro Bowl 5 times. Put him on a team that was going to the playoffs on an annual basis and his name would be showing up on the HOF ballot.

Tuggle was a tackling machine for 14 solid seasons in Atlanta where he led the NFL in tackles several times, had the most tackles during the decade of the 1990s, and is second all-time in NFL history for fumble returns for touchdowns. He was the heart and soul of the Falcons defense for a very long time. He is in the College Football Hall of Fame, and deserves consideration for the NFL HOF but will probably never get it because of the lack of national recognition during his playing days.

After hyping these guys, what are their jerseys worth in 2014? Not much. Outside of the Kenn jersey listed at over a grand on ebay (it's been there for awhile and I would be surprised if it sells at that price), their jerseys generally are cheaper than cheap. A durene jersey of Van Note might get a bit expensive, but that has more to do with the jersey being durene than Van Note.

Nark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Preston
10-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Add players like Marvin Harrison (3rd all time, receptions), Corey Dillon (17th all time rushing yards) to this...seems like if a player is great but in a "smaller market" it definitely doesn't have as much "value" as it should.