PDA

View Full Version : 2010 MLB All Star Game Batting Helmet Help!

rudyjj18
09-30-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm looking at buying a 2010 MLB all star game used batting helmet but looking for some help. 1) it's not MLB authenticated which seems odd to me. One would think that every item to hit the field would be authenticated. 2) it has a large all star logo/sticker on the back of the helmet.

Does anyone have a game used batting helmet from the 2010 all star game? Can you share pictures? Is it MLB authenticated and does it have the all star logo on the rear of the helmet? Thanks in advance for any help!

helf35
09-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Try this

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=62258

seanbaseball
09-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Mears states the following:

Since the helmets were experimental, they were brought to the game by the manufacturer. Each helmet was set in front of the players locker for them to use if desired. Some were tried on, some were worn for a short period of time, some for an extended period of time, and may never have been worn at all. But, they were all issued for each player on the all star roster.

After the game, they were gathered with permission by a major league employee, saved until this year, and now they appear in our auction. Each helmet is 100% guaranteed authentic, and there was only one made for each player.

BVC
10-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Sean, thanks for the information on the 2010 all-star game helmets. Where did you find this info? I've been searching Mears' site, and googling, and coming up empty. Thanks.

seanbaseball
10-05-2014, 04:33 PM
buddy of mine emailed Mears and that's what they sent back

BVC
10-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks Sean. I won one of the helmets that I was able to photo-match to the all-star game, but to be 100%, needed the information your friend got from Mears - that there was only one per player.

I know collectors make a big deal about all the game use exhibited by a batting helmet, but if I'm sure it's game-used and know exactly which game, I kind of like one that looks pristine. Does really nice condition hurt the value of such a helmet?

rudyjj18
10-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I'd prefer one that is covered in pine tar...but to each their own. Still a really cool piece. Wish I could have picked up the Corey Hart one...oh well.

seanbaseball
10-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I think its kind of like an all star game bat. They never show much use because only used for a game but are still really cool. Ive got a Molina 2012 playoff helmet that is loaded with pine tar, but I bid a bunch on the 2010 Molina all star helmet, but it got away from me.

BVC
10-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Agreed on the pine tarred helmet. This one completed my Cano Yankee trifecta - bat, ball, helmet - but for the Mariners version I'll look for one that looks a bit nastier. No one uses pine tar like Cano.