PDA

View Full Version : 1990's Miami Hurricanes Experts?

gingi79
09-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Hi Friends.

A few years ago, I picked up what was described as a late 80s/Early 90's Orange Miami Hurricanes game used football jersey. The numbers showed tremendous wear, (all 4 front/back and both shoulders) but the jersey shows now repairs and light wash wear. After researching it off and on for a few years, I have determined it could only have been worn during one season, 1994. This is based on the sleeve cuts and the Big East Patch, they only wore this style and cut for that one season.

That would mean it was worn by Jammi German. So here are my questions/ issues:

a) Missing the 125th Anniversary patch and no residue or stitch marks.
I have seen an example or two of the team NOT wearing the 125th Anniversary patch but almost every photo shows players wearing it. Assuming it was worn before they applied them, what accounts for the tremendous use for only one game?

b) The size tag is an "L" They haven't worn letter sizes since the early 1980's.

c) No evidence of a nameplate ever being attached and I've not seen a photo of a player without it.

So what do I have? Did Miami or Russell offer authentic game jerseys like this for sale in 1994? If so, why #7? He was a rookie and surely Sapp/Ray Lewis/Gino Torretta would have been a wiser choices as there is no way they were making numerous college players per team. I remember in 1996 Nike offered pro model jerseys for sale, 6 players one from each of six different schools and Miami's was Ray Lewis white #52 (I still own it)

Any help appreciated either in this thread or my screen name at aol.com