PDA

View Full Version : How to find out if a player actually was in uniform for a game.

stbarton
09-18-2014, 01:29 PM
I purchased a Paul Konerko game-used camouflage jersey through MLB auctions and know he did not play in the game when the White Sox wore these camo jersey because I checked the box scores for the game. So I am trying to find out if there is a way to identify if Konerko was even in uniform for the that game. Any help is much appreciated!

dmb71vw
09-18-2014, 01:35 PM
What about video from the game to see if there are any shots of him on the bench?

nevrdiez34
09-18-2014, 01:42 PM
I typically go on BaseballReference.com and view the player's game log. I'm not sure what year the jersey in question is, but below is a link to Konerko's 2014 game log:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=konerpa01&t=b&year=2014

I hope this help!

Mike

stbarton
09-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Thank you for the quick responses! Not sure how I would go about finding an actually video of the game, it was 7/4/2008. I did look at the game log for that day and he was not in the lineup, but just want to see if he dressed for the game.

danesei@yahoo.com
09-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Find a line-up card for the game. That will show who was on the 25-man roster and officially dressed for the game.

bgakladd
09-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Thank you for the quick responses! Not sure how I would go about finding an actually video of the game, it was 7/4/2008. I did look at the game log for that day and he was not in the lineup, but just want to see if he dressed for the game.

If he wasn't in the lineup,he was probably in the minors leagues, 2008 Charlotte Knights (AAA) lineup that day playing against the Durham Bulls. After White Sox put him on the DL, and going thru rehab, he was put in Charlotte 7/4-2008. There is a short video on Youtube: "Charlotte Knights host Durham Bulls - High Def". Check out #15 wearing NNOB to see if that was him. Video date was 7/4/2008.

joelsabi
10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
for that game, check either team's dugout lineup card and see if he was an available position player OR check whitesox batting order card under eligible players. box scores and game logs only count games when a player actually plays.

G1X
10-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Checking the lineup and 25-man roster is not always a sure thing. Players that are inactive for whatever reason (DL list, for example) might still be with the team and sitting on the bench. In order to sit on the bench during a game, they must be in their uniform. It is not that uncommon to see this happen a few times with various teams during the season.

My thought is that that the jersey would be "bench-worn" but not "game-used". It is similar to a starting pitcher sitting on the bench when it isn't his start with the difference being that the pitcher is on the active 25-man roster while the injured/inactive player is not on the active roster at that moment. Nevertheless, he is just like the pitcher in that he wore the jersey during the game.

For what it's worth, it might be very difficult trying to make this determination in the case of an injured/inactive player unless you happened to be at the game and saw him on the bench or have video or other photo evidence of him being in the dugout.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Mark17
10-11-2014, 11:49 AM
It might be easier to see if Konerko played with Charlotte on that day rather than approach the question from the other direction.

I would call the Charlotte newspaper and ask them if they can check that back issue's box score. If they can't, I'd call the Charlotte library and ask them to do so.

Good luck.

stbarton
10-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses and insights. Extremely helpful. I have returned the jersey to the White Sox and waiting for a credit.

FYI - Stacy is no longer with the White Sox.

bgakladd
10-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses and insights. Extremely helpful. I have returned the jersey to the White Sox and waiting for a credit.

FYI - Stacy is no longer with the White Sox.

Konerko was in Charlotte on Friday, July 4th, 2008. His first game there. He played first base going 2 for 3 with a walk. It was his first game of his rehab assignment.

Shooter44
10-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately, I had a very similar experience with the White Sox and a Konerko jersey a couple of years ago.

I won the GU jersey auction, but the jersey I received was different than what was pictured in the auction listing and it clearly did not have any game use.
Therefore, I returned the jersey for a full refund. I haven't bid on anything since, as it's a roll of the dice with what you get given how they currently run their online auctions.

I'm glad to hear you will be getting your money back as well.

Bill

BVC
10-11-2014, 09:24 PM
So basically, unless you can prove he was somewhere else (playing in a Minor league game), or you can use MLB tv to locate him in the dugout, there is no way of determining if the player was suited up for the game.

I have jerseys of two pitchers who did not pitch in a game. I realize that there is no way I will ever know whether or not they actually wore the jerseys.