PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Buckeyes game worn helmet??

bgakladd
09-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Hoping if somebody that just bought this "game worn" Ohio State Buckeyes helmet on Ebay really checks it out when they get it. I do not like it at all. It looks like an early VSR-1 helmet shell with a VSR-4 padding inside. Chinstrap looks like a youth style. Ohio State had Ahmed Plummer wearing #19 and it looks nothing like it. Decals look like the kind off of a Riddell replica. The bumper BIG TEN decal is the kind sold on Ebay and is not the correct OSU font in style or color. Also the font is not the correct OSU style as far as the #19. Number should be smooth and not have any angles in it. Also it should have the double facemask clips on the side as all Buckeye helmets did in the 90's.

bgakladd
09-15-2014, 10:53 PM
To OSUCOLLECTOR.... I got your emails. Let me know more when you get the helmet. I also noticed the right side jaw pad looks like a thicker Schutt jaw pad and the left side looks like a Riddell pad. Let me know if I'm correct. OSU didn't use Schutt jaw pads.

bgakladd
01-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Just got several emails concerning a new listing which is up on Ebay titled: Ohio State Football Helmet Riddell Tri/Star Bobby Carpenter Authentic Game Worn. No, it is not a game worn Ohio State football helmet. It is a youth size large silver Riddell model with the gray (youth) interior and an Ohio State style stripe added to it. Pics of that helmet below. I have no idea what the Carpenter stickers are there to represent. Listing on that helmet ends on Jan.2

bgakladd
01-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Posting these pics for those who are pursuing Ohio State game worn helmets from the mid 1990's to 2000 years. A lot of Ebay replica styles are being sold on Ebay since they won the National Championship and I get a lot of emails to look over potential Ohio State game used helmets. Pay attention to the front Big Ten bumper decal. A correct practice or game used helmet from that period will have this style font and a darker red color on the letters, followed by the small TM letters. Ebay version has the R in a circle after Big Ten and in some cases the TM, and is a brighter red. Photo of my Matt Keller's 1999 Buckeye practice helmet and Andy Katzenmoyer's 1996 helmet, both with correct bumper decals. They will measure out at 1 9/16" x 2 15/16 ".

bgakladd
01-27-2015, 01:18 AM
Correction on the size of the decal, it should be 9/16" x 1 15/16".

bgakladd
01-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Here is an Ebay version of a newer style decal set with the TM behind the Big ten. Font difference in the B and G to compare and the size.

bgakladd
02-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Picked this Buckeye helmet up on Ebay this past week. It was listed as an authentic Ohio State practice helmet. Turns out to be a regular season game worn helmet worn by #3 David Mitchell from seasons 1997-1999. I found a photo match for the helmet and it lines up for the '99 season. Just missing the correct chinstrap and the #3 decal on the rear of the helmet. (Sticker glue residue shows where the #3 decal was at one time). Again look for these concentrated areas I am showing when you are looking for a mid to late 90's Buckeye game worn helmet. Notice the double facemask clips and the All American sticker inside the helmet. Practically every Buckeye game worn helmet used this clip style from mid 1980's thru early 2000's, until the clear shockblocker clips were put on in the late 90's in some cases. All practice helmets were plain silver metallic unless fresh stripes were added by the equipment mgrs. after the season and then released.

bgakladd
02-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Here is another example of a supposed game worn helmet, this one being Darnell Sander's 2001 game worn Ohio State helmet. Listed thru a major auction site and stated it was obtained thru the Ohio State University. Trouble is, Darnell still has his 2001 helmet. I have him on my Facebook friend list and got a pic that shows he still has his 2001 helmet. Notice the auction helmet has Buckeye leaves also that face the wrong way on the pattern and it has the shockblocker clips while his real helmet has the double facemask clips. Probably why the helmet only sold for a little over a $100. At best it was probably a practice helmet and dressed up with Buckeye decals but it would have to be looked at in person for that to even be confirmed. Careful if you see it pop up for sale.