PDA

View Full Version : Someone's Holy Grail: Early to Mid 1960s Minnesota Vikings Helmet

commando
09-08-2014, 09:24 PM
This thing is incredible.... A beautiful RK2 from the early to mid 1960s, possibly worn by legendary center Mick Tingelhoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Minnesota-Vikings-Football-Helmet-Riddell-Suspension-Mick-Tingelhoff-/321515598829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adbd2b3ed

bgakladd
09-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Wow...it sold for $5299.00!

commando
09-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah, it may be a while before you see another one of those. The seller had absolutely no idea what she had found... Just goes to show that "lost" items do indeed surface from time to time.

miracleonice80
09-19-2014, 12:10 AM
Guys.....great post! I was the one honored to get the Tingelhoff Vikings helmet....it is great. I owe a lot of people a thank you for helping me with the Vikings collecting.....this was one of my grail items.....gotta get a mask and jaw pads now......it is awesome.

bgakladd
09-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Guys.....great post! I was the one honored to get the Tingelhoff Vikings helmet....it is great. I owe a lot of people a thank you for helping me with the Vikings collecting.....this was one of my grail items.....gotta get a mask and jaw pads now......it is awesome.

At first I thought the helmet might of had the dunguard facemask similar to Tinglehoff wearing in the pic shown, but after seeing the view of the front of the helmet it might be more like the facemask shown in the signed photo because of the facemask clip outlines from wear.

commando
09-19-2014, 08:07 AM

Congrats to you. What a cornerstone to any collection! And bgakladd's photos are very helpful. I'm not sure of the spacing of those two holes, but I think it might be possible that BOTH facemasks were used during the life of this helmet.

commando
09-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention... Contact Helmet Hut to get the world class treatment this rare gem deserves!

miracleonice80
09-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Hey, guys.....yeah, it is fun to research this stuff.....my helmet is obviously an RK version.....so you can eliminate the TK '70's versions....and dungards. If this helmet goes back to 1964-65, I think a butterfly/clip mask first was on it.....then maybe a clip only mask in 1966ish may have been put on.....looks like he wore a TK in '68, an RK in '69 and then back to TK in '70. The date code inside the helmet must have rubbed off......cant find it. Still some mystery surrounding this one......Tony

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Hey, guys.....yeah, it is fun to research this stuff.....my helmet is obviously an RK version.....so you can eliminate the TK '70's versions....and dungards. If this helmet goes back to 1964-65, I think a butterfly/clip mask first was on it.....then maybe a clip only mask in 1966ish may have been put on.....looks like he wore a TK in '68, an RK in '69 and then back to TK in '70. The date code inside the helmet must have rubbed off......cant find it. Still some mystery surrounding this one......Tony

Here is a pic with what looks like a butterfly clip mask. And it's a completely different style.

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Here is a pic with what looks like a butterfly clip mask. And it's a completely different style.

Here is a better pic of the butterfly face mask, with wide spacing.

miracleonice80
09-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Great pic.....Im now thinking that maybe this helmet made it to the '69 season....he wore a RK that season......I just gotta see if he wore a husky or regular RK that year......I think this helmet was around in '64-'65.....then, reconditioned for late 60's.....He didnt wear an RK from 1970 and on.....or, at least I am 99.9% sure he didnt......Tony

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 11:23 AM

I am taking a stab at the year on this one since there is no date you can find but look at the back of the helmet. It had the cursive ELL in Riddell logo imprinted into the shell on the bottom left side. It looks like it was repainted at one time with lacquer paint and then the newer italic type font put on top the old Riddell logo if it was reconditioned. What year did they switch the font?? 1967? If it was, then I'm guessing a 1966 helmet, like you mentioned. If so that would explain the font change on back and the facemask clip impression and outline rubbing into the paint along with the aging outline. Is the Riddell font on top stamped in or a stencil type?

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Great pic.....Im now thinking that maybe this helmet made it to the '69 season....he wore a RK that season......I just gotta see if he wore a husky or regular RK that year......I think this helmet was around in '64-'65.....then, reconditioned for late 60's.....He didnt wear an RK from 1970 and on.....or, at least I am 99.9% sure he didn't......Tony
Here is his 1969 Pro Bowl RK helmet that was sold by MEARSONLINE auction. The number identifier inside is close to yours. Look at the heavy use of the suspension webbing compared to yours. This definitely was a multiple season game worn helmet. Shows the outline of old Vikings decal. Was this one his 1969 helmet??? Need to find out when yours was last used from the time it was repainted till it was taken from use because of the crack on the side. If yours isn't his 1969, looking at 1966-68 years for final use on yours???

miracleonice80
09-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Ok....great points.....this is gonna be fun. Gotta put the pieces together....let's try and get the facts that we know for sure, no matter how obvious.

1. Gray interior/RK shell is 1960's
2. He did not wear an RK shell in the 1970's
3. Has clip marks on front to say that a mask other than a butterfly/clip was used(in addition to the butterfly clip)
4. Has the red tape identifier #53
5. Same tape wrap pattern on the suspension system as the Mears helmet
6. The "newer" Riddell stamping on back of helmet has been seen as early as 1969 on films.....(1969 Vikings highlights on #84 Henderson helmet)
7. Films/pics that I have seen from 1968 have him wearing an NJOP clip on mask with a TK shell
8. 1969 season has him wearing an RK shell with a NJOP mask clip on.....
9. 1965/1966 films/pics has him wearing an NOP mask(the pic with him and the Browns' #13 Ryan is from May 1966 with NOP mask with butterfly clip)
10. 1966 also looks like he wears an NJOP mask with butterfly clip
11. Minimal wear on the suspension webbing says maybe he used for a season or less before it cracked? Taking the clip marks into consideration, of course.....
Gotta figure out when the newer Riddell font came to be.....67? 68? 69?
We can eliminate the 70's at least....this helmet was worn in the 1960's. back to research......lol. Thanks for chiming in, fellas.....Tony

commando
09-20-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm not an expert on vintage helmets, but it would seem like the suspension could easily be replaced if needed during the off-season yearly servicing. So the suspension was most likely used by Tingelhoff for a while, but not necessarily the entire life of the helmet.

On a side note, those RK2 models were workhorses.... But a crack on a facemask hole - like yours - was usually the kiss of death that took these gems out of service. And of course it was that very crack that allowed someone to take this lid home as a souvenir! (But the Vikes likely kept the facemask if it was still serviceable.)

miracleonice80
09-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Lots of variables.....man, this will be tough. He changed styles of helmets and masks a lot. I really wanna put on a 1960's style mask on it when its all said and done. The holes on the front are slightly off-line....maybe it never had a butterfly clip style mask.....since the holes would need to be lined up pretty straight......just a thought. Tony

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Lots of variables.....man, this will be tough. He changed styles of helmets and masks a lot. I really wanna put on a 1960's style mask on it when its all said and done. The holes on the front are slightly off-line....maybe it never had a butterfly clip style mask.....since the holes would need to be lined up pretty straight......just a thought. Tony

This the mask I would find along with the gray clips.......

miracleonice80
09-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Wow.....do you see what I see on the last pic you sent with the dark jersey? The holes seem to be a little off-line on the front....much like mine. Interesting....RK helmet, holes identical, could have had the double stamping on the back from reconditioning and the helmet shows clip outlines on the front.....maybe a match? Oh, and it is a regular RK, not a husky....1 inch ridge on the top of the helmet......Tony

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Google search "1966 NJOP clip on face mask" That is what I think the correct year period mask should be. Helmet Hut has them. I don't know if the mask he wore was xlarge in size or not. It looks big. Hoping this helps to give you the mid 60's look.

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Tony....is your helmet a husky??? If so, I found something.....

miracleonice80
09-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Nope.....dont think it is.....has 1 inch ridge down the middle of the helmet.....husky ones have 1.5 inch......that pic you sent before might be my helmet.....the holes seem right on.....a little off line.....check out the mask and how it is not straight with the spacing....What did you find? Tony

bgakladd
09-20-2014, 09:50 PM
ok...but I did find Tinglehoff wearing a husky with Fran Tarkenton in a game against the los Angeles Rams in what looks like Fran's early Vikings years before he went to the Giants. He has a butterfly njop mask. Another helmet style and mask style. Had to show you since I've dug into this helmet. Final score was 38-35 so maybe that will tell what year he wore a husky. I'm still sticking with the 1966 mask and clips on yours, not butterfly.

miracleonice80
09-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Awesome! Great find.....saw that pic last night, too....great shot of the husky.....I watched films last night from Vikings games in 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969 and 1970......he switched a lot.....husky, no husky......clips only and butterfly clips.....Njop and Nop masks......really unreal how much he changed. Im with you.....1966 Njop clips(no butterfly). We gotta figure out what year Riddell switched to that other font.....I cant wait to see the mask on it! Gonna try to get an original mask with clips and original jaw pads......Thanks for your help so far! Good stuff......Tony

miracleonice80
09-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Hey....Helmet Hut doesnt have any of the mask I need in original condition......gotta get on the hunt for one.....Tony

bgakladd
09-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Hey....Helmet Hut doesnt have any of the mask I need in original condition......gotta get on the hunt for one.....Tony

I found some, but unfortunately they won't sell any. They have quite a few. User name REALSTUFF on Ebay. I will keep looking. Original 1966 ones are going to be a hunt. They are rare. Will see what I can do to help you out.

miracleonice80
09-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Ok...sounds good.....hunt is on! Tony

UTeric3232
09-22-2014, 01:01 PM
I bet the seller's eyes got REAL big after the auction jumped from $600 to $5300 in the last 5 seconds....lol

bgakladd
09-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Ok...sounds good.....hunt is on! Tony

Tony, Email me at bgakladd@aol.com I have a guy in Texas who thinks he might have one for you. I will give you his phone number. Hoping it is the style you need. let me know.

miracleonice80
09-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Cool.....just emailed you.....thanks. Crossing my fingers.......Tony