PDA

View Full Version : Question: Game Used Bats (used in Minors vs. MLB)

JDF5244
08-30-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm a relatively new collector of game-used stuff. I've recently shifted from collecting mostly cards to collecting game-used bats and balls mostly. I have a question about game-used bats…..
Does it add (or subtract) to the value of a game-used bat if it was used when the player was in the Minors vs. being used when the player was in MLB?
As an example, I just picked up a Freddie Freeman Game-Used bat which was used in 2008 (when he was in the minors)….does this make a difference one way or another?
My other game-used pick-ups are:
- Robin Yount Game-Used bat
- Craig Biggio Game-Used bat
- Miguel Sano Game-Used bat
- Jarrod Dyson Game-Used ball
- A home run ball from the Home Run Derby several years ago
- An Oakland A's Game-Used ball from Jeter's last games there
I appreciate any advice!
Take care,
Jordan

Roady
08-30-2014, 07:07 PM
I think most collectors prefer MLB game used items.
I like them both myself. I like having the earliest items I can get of a player.

Roady
08-30-2014, 07:08 PM
And if you want to sell the Freeman bat contact me. :)

jth4669@gmail.com

Wrigley2010
08-31-2014, 12:16 AM
I think most would agree that a bat used in the Major Leagues would carry a premium. I agree with Roady as I too like to obtain pieces from the earliest points in a players career. So it's fair to say that some would still pay a premium for a Minor League bat as well.

danesei@yahoo.com
08-31-2014, 03:46 AM
I think, all things equal (same year, same amount of use, similar degree of provenance), an MLB bat will sell for a premium over the MiLB equivalent. Yes, there are individuals who prefer the earliest bat they can get their hands on, but I think the demand for MLB bats (higher liquidity) would off-set any potential premium you *might* get from someone who collects early bats.

AWA85
08-31-2014, 03:29 PM
I have noticed MLB items definitely carry a higher price tag, but there is something unique about bats from earlier in the career. I have a Barry Larkin bat from his minor league days and it is the only one I have seen from this period (would love to see more if anyone has one). Also, you see hundreds of Jay Bruce bats out on the market, but the block letter Louisville Sluggers before he signed his contract are extremely tough to find.

dplettn
09-01-2014, 10:25 AM
I have noticed MLB items definitely carry a higher price tag, but there is something unique about bats from earlier in the career. I have a Barry Larkin bat from his minor league days and it is the only one I have seen from this period (would love to see more if anyone has one). Also, you see hundreds of Jay Bruce bats out on the market, but the block letter Louisville Sluggers before he signed his contract are extremely tough to find.

Further to Adam's point... I would definitely see a premium for a minor league bat from a player like Barry Larkin. There are far more major league bats of his than minor league bats in circulation. I can not exactly pinpoint my assessment on this, but I suspect that by the time a guy is in the latter years of his career and there are a decade+ of major league bats in circulation... well, Adam's perspective (which I share) on Barry Larkin bats might be similar to many collectors and on most players; particularly those who didn't languish long in the minors.