PDA

View Full Version : Joe Montana Jersey....What Is it???

DoctorLoomis
08-30-2014, 01:41 AM
A friend of mine had this jersey purchased for him by his parents long ago. He asked my opinion. First, I do not believe Montana ever signed it. Second, is this jersey even issued....or simply retail?

bgakladd
08-30-2014, 02:37 AM
I would start questioning the font of the #6. Did the 49er's ever use a font like that? It has angles at the corners on the inside of the bottom part. Shouldn't they be like this photo?

bgakladd
08-30-2014, 10:43 AM
I don't think that is Joe Montana's signature, compared to other things he has signed. The jersey looks like a retail version to me, I can't find a photo of Montana wearing that font style. BUT.....GF Auctions seems to think he wore that same font style as they sold a game worn jersey in similar fashion, it was in their Summer Games Catalog Auction Lot #463 of the June 18th 2014 auction. The jersey they sold had Russell tagging and was circa 1987 year. I thought Wilson tagging is what Montana always wore. Pics of the GF Montana jersey to show the font style. Somebody thought well of it because it cost them over $4000. Hoping I'm wrong till somebody can show another photo of Montana wearing that style font in a red jersey.

ShaimOnYou
08-30-2014, 11:23 AM
It's absolutely a retail jersey, and the signature is a forgery, without question.

Chris

ShaimOnYou
08-30-2014, 12:13 PM
I don't think that is Joe Montana's signature, compared to other things he has signed. The jersey looks like a retail version to me, I can't find a photo of Montana wearing that font style. BUT.....GF Auctions seems to think he wore that same font style as they sold a game worn jersey in similar fashion, it was in their Summer Games Catalog Auction Lot #463 of the June 18th 2014 auction. The jersey they sold had Russell tagging and was circa 1987 year. I thought Wilson tagging is what Montana always wore. Pics of the GF Montana jersey to show the font style. Somebody thought well of it because it cost them over $4000. Hoping I'm wrong till somebody can show another photo of Montana wearing that style font in a red jersey.

Does that surprise you?

Would it surprise you to know that Richard Russek and his herd will be having their day with the FBI in the near future?

"Sources indicate that Grey Flannel and its principal, Richard Russek, are also targets of the FBIs on-going Mastro investigation."

The above quote comes from this article:

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=31948#more-31948

Seems Grey Flannel's business practices leave a tad to be desired?

I just can't figure out why the NBA has affiliated themselves with these guys?

Phil316
08-30-2014, 05:33 PM
I too have issues with Gray Flannel but have been warned by Chris to not post anything regarding possible law suits or legal action against Gray Flannel. Just thought you might wanna know that the rules on this forum have been updated to reflect that.

The NFL shield looks off as well.

Centurio
08-31-2014, 05:46 PM
I've got a dozen or so Montana signatures in my collection that run the gamut from early signatures (early 80s) to much more recent and I have never seen a Montana signature like that. With the name written out it's always possible that it could be a "legal" signature that somehow ended up on a jersey so I figured I'd check for you. Here's a number of great contract, check and memorabilia examples. NONE are remotely similar.

http://www.psacard.com/autographfacts/AutographDetail/77/joe-montana

sox83cubs84
08-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Definitely not game-worn...the Wilon year/month date tag has the year of issue as 1991, and Montana missed the entire regular season.

Dave Miedema

Neely8
09-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Also to rule out game worn why would the name be on a nameplate but the letters sewn directly to the jersey too as evidenced by the letter stitching seen coming through the inside?

ShaimOnYou
09-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Also to rule out game worn why would the name be on a nameplate but the letters sewn directly to the jersey too as evidenced by the letter stitching seen coming through the inside?

Because it's a cheap poorly made "replica" jersey made for exactly what it became. A signed jersey for display only.

Only difference is, I'm sure it wasn't made with the intention of having a poorly executed forgery placed on it.

Germinator
09-10-2014, 07:49 PM
As others have said, that signature is 100% fake. I have a huge 49ers collection and can say without a doubt it's fake.

Joe used to sign his full name early in his career. He did that only for a few years though because he got popular so fast. Then he shortened it to what we see today to save time.

Early signatures are rare and worth a lot more than the ones now. This one is made almost too look like an early signature but it's not authentic. I think they were trying to copy the early one to make it worth more.

solarlottry
09-10-2014, 11:30 PM
As others have said, that signature is 100% fake. I have a huge 49ers collection and can say without a doubt it's fake.

Joe used to sign his full name early in his career. He did that only for a few years though because he got popular so fast. Then he shortened it to what we see today to save time.

Early signatures are rare and worth a lot more than the ones now. This one is made almost too look like an early signature but it's not authentic. I think they were trying to copy the early one to make it worth more.

Germinator-shoot me an email. I too have a fairly significant 49er collection and would love to hear about yours.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com