PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you contacted MLB Auctions to fix their COA description?

carbonrosa
08-24-2014, 09:53 PM
For the second time this week I have had to contact MLB Auctions to change their game used baseball descriptions. I just received in the mail a Bryce Harper Home Run baseball that I won on the MLB auctions to notice that in the description it said that Bryce Harper hit this HR ball in the bottom of the 5th inning when in fact it was the bottom of the 4th. No biggy but then again today I was going to bid on a Dustin Padroia hit baseball from a Braves vs Red Sox game from May 26 2013 to find out through my research the description should read "2014". Every time I've contacted MLB auctions through their customer service email, they have gotten back to me within a few hours and changed their descriptions. But it got me thinking, how many times have you had to contact MLP Auctions to change their authentication descriptions?
-Devin

Wrigley2010
08-24-2014, 11:17 PM
I have tried unsuccessfully contacting MLB on three separate occasions. All three were about a year to a year and a half ago. I sent multiple emails about each item over a months time but nary a response. All were in regards to a hologram not showing in the data base. I was told MLB was over loaded with emails during this time but I never bothered contacting them again. Wasn't going to waste my time. Makes you wonder how many errors do they make and how many never get noticed.

3arod13
08-25-2014, 03:47 AM
I sometimes wonder with so many inscription errors, do they even have the right baseall?

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Biggest error in my opinion is actual hit baseballs. Just think about it. Player hits ball and authenticator tags it as a single. 10minutes later it is changed to an error after ball is sent away, whoops.

carbonrosa
08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
In the past two years I have had to Contact MLB auctions eight times to change a description from either the date being wrong or the inning the ball was hit for baseballs I was interested in. Even though they have always gotten back to me very quickly to thank me for catching the mistake and then changing it to the correct description, I'm sure someone out there has brought either A Jersey or a baseball from MLB auctions in did not check to see if their COA matches with baseball reference or ESPN recap.
-Devin

jojac
08-26-2014, 02:33 PM
The worse one I had was a Pedroia away jersey I bought from a company. After receiving the jersey I checked the MLB data base and it came up with the date of a Sox home game. I contacted the company and explained that the away jersey is authenticated to a home game and they then tried to have MLB fix the issue but for what ever reason it couldn't get done. Thankfully they refunded my money on the item.

coxfan
08-28-2014, 03:39 PM
My own occasional surveys of MLB authentication of baseballs in specific games, plus my experience with the Rangers and Braves, have indicated a low error rate, say 1%, when entries are compared with play-by-play. My observations of process imply there should be a high level of accuracy. The last Rangers' game I attended in 2012 apparently had the bat boy comparing observations with the authenticator when he gave him a ball.

But I've also noticed that authenticators use paper and pen, so database input must be done by someone else. That may lead to clerical errors when the original note was right. Also, for some important games, they seem to have a second authenticator behind third base, in addition to the regular guy behind the first-base dugout. That might contribute to error.