PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Get It

jojac
08-19-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't really get why you'd feel a need to spend this much money.

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=302383&pgmode1=teamsite&pgcust1=bosox&&qt[0].type=openbrac&qt[1].type=openbrac&qt[1].value2=%2C+&qt[2].type=fieldmatch&qt[2].name=panname_partnername_s&qt[2].value1=mlb&qt[3].type=operor&qt[4].type=fieldmatch&qt[4].name=panname_partnername_s&qt[4].value1=team&qt[5].type=closebrac&qt[6].type=operand&qt[7].type=fieldmatch&qt[7].name=panname_teamname_s&qt[7].value1=bosox&qt[8].type=closebrac

Chess2899
08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
How may times in your lifetime can you get a World Series Ring with your name emblasoned on the side? :)

gingi79
08-19-2014, 08:21 PM
About 20 years ago, I visited my uncle in California and he lived a couple houses down from a guy who worked for one of the ring companies (I was 15, I can't remember which one, sorry)

I distinctly remember seeing, wearing and admiring college and pro Championship rings that he had available for sale to the public with any name I wanted. Underneath where college rings normally have the signature of the graduate, they said "Replica, not for resale" Same 10k gold, stones and markings, that was the sole deviation.

Granted that was 20 years ago but last I checked, buying a Championship replica ring like this isn't that hard. Admittedly, while I love cheering for my teams and hope I see them all win Championships, buying a ring with my name on it from one of their titles? Maybe taking your fandom a little far (And that's from a guy with hundreds of game used pieces) :p

jojac
08-23-2014, 06:56 AM
I didn't get why someone would want a championship ring that they didn't earn or wasn't previously owned by a player when it was at 15 G's and I'm even more confused now that it ended at over 80 G's.
At least the money is going to a good cause.

Roady
08-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Some people see a child with cancer and have compassion and pay for their treatments. Other people see a ring they can't live without. Priorities

marino13
08-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Could be just a drop in the bucket for the winning bidder?

I had a lot of similar conversations "I dont get it. Why would you pay so much for that?"

And my reply always be "To each his own." :D

godwulf
08-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Some folks pay 80 grand for a watch, and it doesn't even have their name on it or having anything to do with Baseball.

beachpetrol
08-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Would it be considered a tax write-off, if the money goes to a charity??

TNTtoys
08-25-2014, 03:07 PM

I believe the rule is that you can claim anything over and beyond the fair value of the item (you'll probably need to get it appraised first). Still, a hefty chunk of change to spend! Probably someone with very deep pockets who needed a tax shelter...

ShaimOnYou
08-25-2014, 05:48 PM

The obvious answer is yes, of course it's a tax write off.

And obviously the winner needs one, because he's one filthy-rich monster who just bought a classic one-of-a-kind toy. I like the purchase myself. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Chris

gorilla777
08-25-2014, 07:31 PM
In this case, the write off would be the difference between FMV and what they actually paid on the item. They did get something of value as opposed to just giving a cash contribution straight to the charity.
I'm not sure what FMV would be on the ring...

Ben

beachpetrol
08-26-2014, 11:11 PM
In this case, the write off would be the difference between FMV and what they actually paid on the item. They did get something of value as opposed to just giving a cash contribution straight to the charity.
I'm not sure what FMV would be on the ring...

Ben
I would think someone in the Red Sox Organization would know the value of what it costs to make these rings for the players. Then use that value as the FMV.