PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - Bad Greg Maddux Braves gamer recently sold on ebay

wjyoung1575
08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I was recently searching through the ended ebay listings for Braves game used jerseys, as I collect only Braves memorabilia, and ran across this sold listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLANTA-BRAVES-GAME-USED-GREG-MADDOX-ROAD-JERSEY-LOA-/371112562949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5668085105&nma=true&si=KWBURnVpLGZefmTTCcsbhlpEkF0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

At first it looks like a great 2003 Braves gamer but upon further inspection there is one glaring mistake with the way the jersey is sewn. The seam that connects the sleeves is completely wrong. The seam on this '03 Maddux starts at the neck and loops down underneath the armpit. On an authentic Braves gamer the seam should go straight from the neck across the top of the shoulder and connect to the sleeve. This is easier to see in the pictures below. I provided a screenshot of a 2003 Jaret Wright gamer for comparison.

I've also looked through a couple hundred 2003 Atlanta Braves pictures on getty images and haven't been able to find any member of the Braves wearing a similar cut jersey. They all match the Jaret Wright example. Including all the images I could find of Maddux from that season. It is my belief that this is an altered Russel "Diamond Collection" reproduction jersey. The wash tag, which looks authentic, was probably removed from a lesser known player and used to create this jersey. But this would be impossible to tell without being able to exam it in person.

What makes this worse is that it appears someones best offer of around $2,000 was accepted for the jersey. The listing says that the seller does not accept returns, but with it being on ebay the buyer could file a case.

2003 Wright gamer:
http://www.collectauctions.com/lot-6235.aspx#

2003 Smoltz gamer:
http://iconicauctions.com/2003_john_smoltz_game_used_atlanta_braves_road_jer-lot18195.aspx#

2003 Estrada gamer:
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/41774/November-2007-Catalog/Internet-Only/Game-Used-Baseball/Lot1325~2003-Johnny-Estrada-Atlanta-Braves-Game-Used-Jersey

Lastly, I want to say that this is only my opinion as a Braves collector and would like to hear or see any other opinions or evidence if there is any.

Phil316
08-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Interesting the COA is from M S Auction aka Masauction on ebay.

Chess2899
08-11-2014, 10:07 PM
This wasn't on ebay very long. Luckily, I didn't see it or I may have quickly picked it up without looking at the details. MAS auctions does have a history.
Good pick-up. Hopefully, a game used universe member got it and can get re-imbursed. I am starting to see a trend on "refinished" Maddux jerseys.

I collect "REAL" Maddux game used jerseys!

Phil316
08-11-2014, 10:17 PM
MAS auctions does have a history.

That is an understatement. I got my court papers from dealing with Mitchell Schumaker in the mail last week. :rolleyes:

Phil316
08-11-2014, 10:37 PM
I fact I have compared signatures with his plea agreement signature and the COA is signed by one Mitchell Schumacher

danesei@yahoo.com
08-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Even if the buyer isn't a member here, those who know Schumacher's story (mail fraud in 2011 for forging retail bought items to look game used) should report the item to eBay. This would give the buyer the best chance of being able to get their money back.

commando
08-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Even if the buyer isn't a member here, those who know Schumacher's story (mail fraud in 2011 for forging retail bought items to look game used) should report the item to eBay. This would give the buyer the best chance of being able to get their money back.

A buyer can return an item purchased on Ebay simply by reporting it as "Item Not As Described." Ebay is pro-buyer all the way, and in cases like this, it's a good thing. Hopefully the buyer will become aware of the info in this thread.

Sunflower
09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Hello members. I'm embarrassed to say that I bought the Maddox jersey (as a collector) then decided to sell it. I didn't know to be aware of the shoulder seams and more importantly, the crooked seller. I have NEVER intentionally tried to pass on a bad jersey but needless to say the buyer has received his refund. My question now is to ask if anyone knows how to contact this auction outfit? I read about his history but cannot find the site. Perhaps removed since his troubles. Or perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction to attempt to get my money back. Thanks for any help.

Sunflower
09-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Phil316 can you provide any direction?

Phil316
09-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Feel free to email me phillipriddell at hotmail and I will provide you with the district attorney's number along with my FBI contact. I am not sure though what else can be done as he is already been sentenced. I know I had to fill out a victim impact form that was sent to me from the attorney.

cfern023
09-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Hello members. I'm embarrassed to say that I bought the Maddox jersey (as a collector) then decided to sell it. I didn't know to be aware of the shoulder seams and more importantly, the crooked seller. I have NEVER intentionally tried to pass on a bad jersey but needless to say the buyer has received his refund. My question now is to ask if anyone knows how to contact this auction outfit? I read about his history but cannot find the site. Perhaps removed since his troubles. Or perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction to attempt to get my money back. Thanks for any help.

If you paid by Paypal or your credit card you can contact them and tell them it's counterfeit

Trublubrucru
09-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Anyone have a picture of Mitchell Schumacher? I'd like to know what he looks like if he walks among us.

Phil316
09-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I believe this is his Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/MitchSchumacher