PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Cardinals Winter Warm Up Summit interest

onlyalbert
08-08-2014, 02:58 PM
OK, so some of us have kicked around the idea of having a central meeting place at the Cardinals WWU for a few years. A place for forum members to hang out, meet each other, and share stories and items from the event. I'm taking the bull by the horns here and want to guage the level of interest from those that attend the WWU. I've made some calls and it looks like we can get a small meeting room at the Hyatt for $350. I'm going to try to negotiate that down. If we want a bartender and cash bar add $100. They are sending me prices for some small food platters if we want to add that. I've told them I would like the room for Sat. Jan 17th and we would have it from about 5pm until however late we want. There would be a few tables and chairs to sit around and talk or stand and talk. I'm not looking to make any money on this, but not looking to go in the hole either. Would anyone that is going to attend be OK with kicking in $10 or $15 to cover the cost? I'm hoping to get 20-30 people to say yes. Any money collected past cost will be donated to Cardinals Care in the name of Game Used Universe (if that is OK by Chris). If the interest is good enough maybe a bigger room will be needed or some nicer food put out. If you have interest just reply to this link and say "I'm in" and leave your email address. Will probably collect the money by PayPal gift. No one is going to "man the station" so it this will be on the honor system. I will repost more info as I get it.

MLB~NUT
08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Sounds good, I'm in...

Birdbats
08-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a plan. Count me in.

onlyalbert
08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
OK, here's the first update. When talking to them originally they forgot to mention that the Cardinals take all of the meeting rooms in their contract. So, plan B is the Red Bar restaurant that is in the lobby. It has it's own meeting room that will hold 40-50 comfortably. I have contacted the manager, and he is going to get me pricing on some different options that will involve food/drinks. Maybe this will be better a better option anyway. More info when I get it.

jscott0688
08-08-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm in!

cardsfan44
08-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Sounds good to me

onlyalbert
08-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Ahhhh c'mon now! Where are all the Cards guys at? Surely not still watching them play the O's! At this rate I'll get us a table at the bar!

flota89
08-09-2014, 09:32 PM
If I can go to next year's warmup, I am probably in. I'll know when we get closer. Great idea!

coophallmonitor
08-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Count me in. Great idea!

onlyalbert
08-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Looks like we are at 7. Gotta be more out there........

helf35
08-12-2014, 06:08 PM
I will not know for sure until closer to the holidays. I plan on being there.

onlyalbert
08-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Looks like we've got enough for a big table. Anymore takers? I know it's early.

stlbats
08-21-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm in.

Stlbats

BirdsOnBat
09-24-2014, 06:19 AM
Been collecting Cards stuff off and on for about 15-20 years now (I tend to collect in spurts I suppose) and this will be my first Winter Warm Up. Very excited. The wife and I will be attending for the full duration.

I've been on the forums for some years now, but had to re-register since I was unable to recover my password from years ago as the link does not send the recovery info from what I could tell.

I'm down for the summit as well.

Steve

kwitzel
09-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I am interested. Please count me in.

Thank you,

Karl

onlyalbert
09-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Looks like maybe we are at about 10 so far, and of course spouses/kids/friends are invited too. So when we get a bit closer we will have to get a final number for each member. Another idea that came to me if we can't get a separate room at the Hyatt I think a great idea would be to get a reservation somewhere in Ball Park Village (BPV). Maybe we could incorporate a tour of the Cards HOF with dinner/drinks.

Birdbats
09-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Looks like maybe we are at about 10 so far, and of course spouses/kids/friends are invited too. So when we get a bit closer we will have to get a final number for each member. Another idea that came to me if we can't get a separate room at the Hyatt I think a great idea would be to get a reservation somewhere in Ball Park Village (BPV). Maybe we could incorporate a tour of the Cards HOF with dinner/drinks.

I've already put a bug in the ear of those who might be able to set us up. Will keep you posted.

onlyalbert
09-29-2014, 09:37 PM
I've already put a bug in the ear of those who might be able to set us up. Will keep you posted.

Hahaha great minds think alike as I was thinking of you and your buddy as I typed it out. We are on the same page. 🎃

sqzplay6
09-30-2014, 04:37 PM
New game used collector. I have been to several WWUs. I am also interested.

helf35
09-30-2014, 07:15 PM
New game used collector. I have been to several WWUs. I am also interested.

Welcome

BirdsOnBat
12-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Do local (or even non-local in some cases), collectors bring anything to sell or trade generally?

helf35
12-11-2014, 11:19 AM
I have rarely seen any game used items. Mostly just autograph memoribilia and photos.

helf35
12-11-2014, 11:21 AM
If you could get enough Cardinal collectors together it might be worth it to get a booth if enough people are trying to move some game used items for other purchases.

BirdsOnBat
12-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Even if informally I mean, just over dinner or whatever.

onlyalbert
12-16-2014, 01:30 PM
UPDATE: looks like we are at about 12 people or so that have confirmed. All are welcome including family/kids/friends. I think we have decided to hold this summit at Ball Park Village (BPV) in the common area. There is ample room and tables, and we can order dinner/drinks from here and each pay our own ticket without the need to rent a space at additional cost. We are also working on a possible discounted/guided tour of the Cardinals HOF/Museum. Will post more here when plans are finalized. I think the best time to meet at BPV would be Saturday Jan 17th at around 6pm. This time is flexible and will give us time to socialize. If we can get a rough head count maybe someone at BPV can set aside an area for us. No promises there though. If you are planning on joining us but have not posted here please do so or repost if friends/family will attend.

BirdsOnBat
12-16-2014, 02:41 PM
UPDATE: looks like we are at about 12 people or so that have confirmed. All are welcome including family/kids/friends. I think we have decided to hold this summit at Ball Park Village (BPV) in the common area. There is ample room and tables, and we can order dinner/drinks from here and each pay our own ticket without the need to rent a space at additional cost. We are also working on a possible discounted/guided tour of the Cardinals HOF/Museum. Will post more here when plans are finalized. I think the best time to meet at BPV would be Saturday Jan 17th at around 6pm. This time is flexible and will give us time to socialize. If we can get a rough head count maybe someone at BPV can set aside an area for us. No promises there though. If you are planning on joining us but have not posted here please do so or repost if friends/family will attend.

Thanks for doing all this. My wife and I will be flying in on Friday.

Steve

onlyalbert
12-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for doing all this. My wife and I will be flying in on Friday.

Steve

Steve, welcome to the forum and this years WWU! Should be fun. Drop me a line if you will at Lakeside62401@hotmail.com. Thanks.

xpress34
12-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know if Chris Carpenter will be at this again this year?

I have a 2011 WS Piece that I need Carp to sign.

Is there anyone that might be willing to get this done for me? Obviously I will pay for the auto ticket, shipping both ways and whatever fee or favor you might need for doing this.

It is an original art piece done by a local Denver artist. I have already had all of the Rangers that are on it to sign it - Michael Young, Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz and Ian Kinsler along with Ron Washington. I have had 3 of the 4 Cardinals represented on it to sign it - Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday and Yadier Molina as well as Tony LaRussa.

Carp is the last guy I need so I can get it framed!

Please feel free to email me - xpress34@ comcast .net

I tried to do this last year, but started looking for a 'surogate' grapher too late... ;)

Thanks!

- Smitty

onlyalbert
12-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know if Chris Carpenter will be at this again this year?

I have a 2011 WS Piece that I need Carp to sign.

Is there anyone that might be willing to get this done for me? Obviously I will pay for the auto ticket, shipping both ways and whatever fee or favor you might need for doing this.

It is an original art piece done by a local Denver artist. I have already had all of the Rangers that are on it to sign it - Michael Young, Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz and Ian Kinsler along with Ron Washington. I have had 3 of the 4 Cardinals represented on it to sign it - Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday and Yadier Molina as well as Tony LaRussa.

Carp is the last guy I need so I can get it framed!

Please feel free to email me - xpress34@ comcast .net

I tried to do this last year, but started looking for a 'surogate' grapher too late... ;)

Thanks!

- Smitty

hahaha we tried this last year! they haven't said if he will be there yet, but he did tell the org that he was not going to be with them next season. going to take some time off completely so I have a feeling he will not be there, but if he is I will make it happen. they should be announcing the auto tix really soon.

xpress34
12-17-2014, 12:48 AM
hahaha we tried this last year! they haven't said if he will be there yet, but he did tell the org that he was not going to be with them next season. going to take some time off completely so I have a feeling he will not be there, but if he is I will make it happen. they should be announcing the auto tix really soon.

Thanks!

Just let me know! Last year, I thought about it too late and logistics just weren't good - trying to be ahead of it this year!

- Smitty

seanbaseball
12-18-2014, 05:12 PM
I have two adult and two children Winter Warm Up passes for sale.
Total cost $70. Paypal friends and family only.

seanb@invcon.com email me

Birdbats
01-08-2015, 05:03 PM
We have worked out a deal with the Cardinals to get discounted entry to the Hall of Fame and Museum on Saturday, 1/17. People who ask for the "Game Used Forum" discount between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. that day at the entry to the Museum can get in for the child's rate of $8 (vs. $12 regular price). This isn't something we tell the world -- it's just for GUU members and their families/guests. The team doesn't want 200 people showing up at 4 p.m. asking for the discounted rate if they're not with us. So, let's keep this among friends.

I am willing to do a guided tour of the museum at 5 p.m. Saturday, so if people are interested in that vs. roaming around on their own, that's an option. Then at 6 p.m., we can move down to the Ballpark Village common area for drinks/food. The museum closes at 6 p.m. The Museum is located on the second floor of BPV on the west side of the building.

Other things to consider:

A video called "Bird to the Future" will be shown Saturday at noon in the Presentation Clubhouse. It's a fun/fictional look at how the museum got its cool stuff (a spoof on "Back to the Future") and would be fun to view before seeing the museum.

Also, Museum staff will do, I believe, four presentations at the WWU. Brian Finch is doing one each day. His Saturday's presentation (at 1 p.m., I think) is about Stan Musial's time in the Navy. Paula Homan, museum curator, also is doing one at 10 a.m. Saturday (don't know what about specifically, but certainly Museum related). Times for all the presentations will be posted on the Cards' website soon.

I look forward to seeing everyone in 9 days!

seanbaseball
01-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Count me in. Guided tour sounds good. Will they have prices on everything like a garage sale?:) If so im looking for a 1926 cardinal jersey.

onlyalbert
01-08-2015, 06:41 PM
I have two adult and two children Winter Warm Up passes for sale.
Total cost $70. Paypal friends and family only.

seanb@invcon.com email me

Someone told me they are doing a tag sale in the museum......too much clutter.

BirdsOnBat
01-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Sweet! Thanks for all the efforts. Can't wait.

onlyalbert
01-15-2015, 11:56 PM
Can't wait for the Sat meet/greet. Gonna be fun. Also, I've made it a habit that on the Sat of the show I always wear my bright orange U of I pullover. It's very visible so if you see a short guy in orange with a Cards hat on its prob me. Say HI if you want!

Jason

seanbaseball
01-16-2015, 12:09 AM
I dont know u:)

sjewett
01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
This is my first time ever going to an event like this. Being in the military I was not sure I would be off this weekend so it is a last minute decision on my part and did not buy any autograph tickets. I will be mostly standing in line for the free tickets. I am going so show up between 8-815 to get my pass. I am hoping that it is truly an amazing event.

seanbaseball
01-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks Jeff Scott for a great museum tour!!! Great information

onlyalbert
01-17-2015, 11:57 PM
For those of you that missed the guided tour by Jeff.....you really missed out big time! Great inside info on some great pieces. Thanks Jeff! Not many good deals to be had this year with the price jumps at Authentics. Don't miss Pat but sure miss his prices! Couple people found some gems at the Cards Care booth. I know of a 2013 WS Beltran and Freese jerseys plus Beltran postseason alternate for the steep price of $100 each. Tons of old team signed balls at $10 ea. I picked up well used Dave Duncan jerseys from 2007 patched and 2012 patched for $75 and a nice 2014 Miller postseason road for $100. If you weren't there in the first 5 mns you were too late.

flota89
01-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks a ton to Jeff for that tour. Very cool stuff on there!

jscott0688
01-19-2015, 05:47 PM
I had a great time this year. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the BPV summit, but I still got to meet a lot of you.

Here is my haul. Paid $100 for each of the jerseys.

Carlos Beltran 2013 Postseason Saturday Alternate Jersey I was also able to pick up Beltran's 2013 red postseason cap to go along with it.
Rafael Furcal 2013 World Series Saturday Alternate Jersey
John Axford 2013 World Series road jersey
Shelby Miller 2014 Postseason Saturday Alternate jersey
AJ Pierzynski 2014 Postseason Home and Road jerseys
AJ Pierzynski 2014 Cardinals debut jersey (#35). The cool thing about this jersey is that my wife and I were at his debut game at Wrigley and he tossed us Shelby Miller's inning ending 260th career strikeout.
Jon Jay 2014 game used stirrups signed and inscribed
Red Schoendienst cap with flag patch
Allen Craig 2013 postseason BP cap
Chris Carpenter 2010 Civil Rights Game cap
Matt Holliday 1951 TBTC cap
David Freese 1951 TBTC cap
Mark McGwire 2011 Stars and Stripes cap
Mark McGwire 2000 Spring Training cap (photomatched). Got this for $15 in the team store. Anyone know why he would have inscribed "47" on the front of the cap? I also saw two other caps in the store from his playing days; a road blue and a BP.

The two game used pieces I got signed this year were Matt Carpenter's debut jersey and Trevor Rosenthal's road 2012 postseason helmet.

BirdsOnBat
01-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Had a great time last weekend at my first WWU. Spent some time with Seanbaseball and Onlyalbert at dinner at BPV as well talking GU. Picked up a hammered, heavy tar, Carpenter bat that I've photomatched a few times to several different games including to an RBI single driving in Taveras who picks up the bat with him back to the dugout.

Also finally was able to find a 1990 jersey with the elusive AAB patch to add to my retired numbers collection. Like many of the other posters I also picked up some $100 jerseys at the CC Store.

Took the stadium tour on Sunday with the locker room visit as well which was awesome. My wife and I had many jokes near the bullpen phone which typically consisted of "Nooo! Put the phone down Matheny!"

BirdsOnBat
01-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Also big thanks to Jeff for the guided tour of the museum. Some amazing items, highly recommend everyone taking a walk through. Very clean, logical design as well.

sportsnbikes
01-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Maybe 47 was the number of a teammate or coach who passed away? What number was Daryl Kile?

helf35
01-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Maybe 47 was the number of a teammate or coach who passed away? What number was Daryl Kile?

He wore 57.

sportsnbikes
01-21-2015, 08:27 AM
OK maybe some other player.

onlyalbert
01-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Here are some of the things I was able to get inked this year. Waino's first Cards road jersey from 2004 AFL. He was pretty shocked to see this. His eyes got wide and a big smile came across his face asking Where in the world did you find this! That is so cool! 2011 Set 3 LaRussa. 2010 Rosey Johnson City home jersey likely the one he pitched the championship game in. 2009 Adams JC. Possibly the first Lance Lynn Cards jersey and BP from 2009 AFL.

joelsabi
01-22-2015, 09:45 AM
OK maybe some other player.

McEwing became an immediate fan favorite because of his energy, hustle and obvious love for the game.[3] During his rookie season, McEwing played every position on the field, except for pitcher and catcher. In his honor, St. Louis Cardinals fans created what was known as "Little Mac Land," in a play on words of the official "Big Mac Land" created in the upper deck of Busch Stadium for Mark McGwire.[4][5] McEwing had a streak of 230 errorless games, which at one point was the longest such streak by an active major league outfielder.[6] McEwing was often successful against Randy Johnson, so McEwing was nicknamed "Little Unit" (a reference to Johnson who was called "Big Unit").[7]

During Spring training just before the start of the 2000 season, he was traded to the New York Mets for Jesse Orosco. Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa admired McEwing so much that he requested a pair of the player's spikes upon the trade.[8]

onlyalbert
01-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Here are a few items from the Cards Care store. Pitching coach Dave Duncan's 2007 gold trimmed patched jersey and 2012 patched jersey. Both show great use with staining. The 2012 would be one of his last Cards jerseys as he left the team shortly after the season started to care for his wife. Shelby Miller 2014 road postseason with good use. If anyone is interested in the last two drop me a line.

jscott0688
01-22-2015, 10:23 AM
McEwing became an immediate fan favorite because of his energy, hustle and obvious love for the game.[3] During his rookie season, McEwing played every position on the field, except for pitcher and catcher. In his honor, St. Louis Cardinals fans created what was known as "Little Mac Land," in a play on words of the official "Big Mac Land" created in the upper deck of Busch Stadium for Mark McGwire.[4][5] McEwing had a streak of 230 errorless games, which at one point was the longest such streak by an active major league outfielder.[6] McEwing was often successful against Randy Johnson, so McEwing was nicknamed "Little Unit" (a reference to Johnson who was called "Big Unit").[7]

During Spring training just before the start of the 2000 season, he was traded to the New York Mets for Jesse Orosco. Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa admired McEwing so much that he requested a pair of the player's spikes upon the trade.[8]

I bet that's it! McEwing was traded on March 18. The photo of McGwire wearing the cap was taken on March 20.

jscott0688
01-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Here are some of the things I was able to get inked this year. Waino's first Cards road jersey from 2004 AFL. He was pretty shocked to see this. His eyes got wide and a big smile came across his face asking Where in the world did you find this! That is so cool! 2011 Set 3 LaRussa. 2010 Rosey Johnson City home jersey likely the one he pitched the championship game in. 2009 Adams JC. Possibly the first Lance Lynn Cards jersey and BP from 2009 AFL.

Love the AFL jerseys! Was Lynn not doing inscriptions? I have a jersey I would like to have him inscribe, but he wouldn't do it in a private signing.

onlyalbert
01-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Love the AFL jerseys! Was Lynn not doing inscriptions? I have a jersey I would like to have him inscribe, but he wouldn't do it in a private signing.

I had great luck getting incpscriptions except for Lynn and Wong. I had Wong's 2013 NLCS photomatched bat and asked fir 2013 NLCS under his name. He said he couldn't do it. Last year he inscribed 2 jerseys and a bat with no problems.

coophallmonitor
02-01-2015, 05:26 PM
I had great luck getting incpscriptions except for Lynn and Wong. I had Wong's 2013 NLCS photomatched bat and asked fir 2013 NLCS under his name. He said he couldn't do it. Last year he inscribed 2 jerseys and a bat with no problems.

I had the exact same issue with both of them. I had a 2013 WS BP jersey for Lynn and Wongs 2014 Postseason helmet and both said they couldn't add inscription. It surprised me with Wong but not with Lynn. Lynn wouldn't inscribe a game used bat at last year's warmup either.

Zsouza19
06-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Here are a few items from the Cards Care store. Pitching coach Dave Duncan's 2007 gold trimmed patched jersey and 2012 patched jersey. Both show great use with staining. The 2012 would be one of his last Cards jerseys as he left the team shortly after the season started to care for his wife. Shelby Miller 2014 road postseason with good use. If anyone is interested in the last two drop me a line.

do you still have the miller jersey?

pirates09
06-15-2015, 07:20 PM
What is price for Duncan and Miller jerseys?
Thanks

onlyalbert
06-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Drop me an email on these jerseys at the address below. Thanks