PDA

View Full Version : New Product: game used Base Pedestal for windowsill

dplettn
08-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Going to start a small little side business and wanted to ask other collectors what should be the right price for the product.

I was having a very hard time deciding how to display my game used base. I was inclined to create a wall shelf that would hold it at an angle but when using the man cave windowsill to try and find the optimal angle, I realized it was the perfect height for the base and the perfect use of my windowsill... Except that I was concerned it could fall if something jarred the wall hard.

So, I build a pedestal for the base... Or, two pedestals to be more precise. Seemed very perfect to me so I decided to make more and sell them wholesale. So, my question to fellow collectors is: "What is the right price range?" I know not everybody is into bases and not everybody displays all their stuff. But, if you did have a base (or want a base) to commemorate a special game, what would you happily pay for the ability to easily display your at an attractive angle in your man-cave windowsill?

My goal is to be profitable with my idea, but also to be very practical where people are happy to pay for it. What is the right price range?

Thanks in advance!

michaellechner
08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
I really like the idea, and it looks great displayed in your window! However I think if it just works well when placed in a windowsill, that limits your market. Is it versatile? Can you use it with a shelf, desk or table? If so, I think you'd reach a lot more customers!

Great looking product!

dplettn
08-08-2014, 03:20 PM
I really like the idea, and it looks great displayed in your window! However I think if it just works well when placed in a windowsill, that limits your market. Is it versatile? Can you use it with a shelf, desk or table? If so, I think you'd reach a lot more customers!

Great looking product!

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the pedestals can be attached to any flat surface. I certainly anticipate that folks would be likely to use them on shelves commonly. I'm already on the 2nd iteration of the product with some design improvements. I'll post pictures shortly but in the interim, I continue to welcome input as to what folks would happily spend on a product that allows them to easily (and yes, with flexibility) display their base.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Could you post pictures and give some more info? I'm not even sure what exactly you have...are they just stoppers or is their back support?...This could be totally worthless or worth $15. Only thing I know is it looks like it is made out of wood and prevents it from falling.

dplettn
08-11-2014, 10:13 PM

Great looking product!

Your inquiry about versatility was quite helpful, thank you. While I can simply say "yes", I think versatility on where they can serve displays is apparent in different pictures for each of four finishes available on Amazon... one even on top of a subwoofer, under a dry bar!

natural wood (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMSHNRQ) (which can be stained & sealed to taste)
white (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMSHNRQ)
black (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMSHNRQ)
metallic (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMSHNRQ)

Also apparent in the photos at Amazon are some design tweaks which allow for the freedom that the pedestals do not have to extend beyond whatever flat surface you choose to mount them to. Obviously in my own application shown here on GUU, I had the pedestals extend slightly outside of the windowsill. That was my taste... but others may find a flush look more appropriate.

If any GUU members want to try a pair, please shoot me an e-mail: plettner at fuse dot net. I'll be happy to afford you a different price point.