PDA

View Full Version : Rick Williams Game Used Bat

Jorio3
08-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a Ricky Williams game used bat. One bat is a black Rawlings Big Stick professional model. The other is a Louisville Slugger with Ricky Williams and Texas Rangers in block letters. I have found photos of him using a Rawlings similar to this. Can anyone tell if they think the Texas Rangers bat might be legit, or point me in the direction to some helpful resources? Thanks.

volunteer
08-03-2014, 02:15 PM
He never played for the Rangers organization.

brianborsch
08-03-2014, 02:37 PM
He never played in the bigs, but I thought he was drafted by the Rangers?

Hoosier39
08-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Never played, but doesn't mean a Rangers bat wasn't made for him and used to some capacity.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/remembering-ricky-williams-short-lived-baseball-career

Jorio3
08-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Rangers Welcome Ricky Williams
ARLINGTON, Texas –The Texas Rangers acquired the best tailback in baseball, Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams (shown to the left from the Dec 18th Press Conference announcing him as a Ranger).
Texas purchased Williams’ contract from the Expos on Tuesday, a day after Montreal took him from the Philadelphia Phillies with the fourth pick of the major-league draft for players left off 40-man rosters.
Rangers owner Tom Hicks, a University of Texas regent, would love to see the Longhorns star playing in his organization, even though it’s likely Williams’ future is in football.
“I still want to play baseball, but I’ll have to wait and see what happens,” Williams said Monday in New York. “But I’m a football player first. Bo Jackson was definitely a much better baseball player than I am, but I’d still like to give it a shot.”
Texas paid Montreal about $100,000, allowing the cash-strapped Expos to more than make up for the $50,000 draft price. Williams, an outfielder, must be on Texas’ 25-man opening day roster or be offered back to Philadelphia for $25,000.
The Phillies picked Williams in the eighth round of the 1995 amateur draft and paid for his tuition at Texas. Technically, he was a walk-on in football.
In four minor-league seasons, Williams hit .211 with four home runs and 40 RBI in 170 games.
Williams, a cousin of Cecil Fielder, hit .283 with six stolen bases in 53 at-bats for Class-A Batavia of the New York-Penn League last season before leaving the team to begin preparing for his senior year at Texas.
His football numbers are more impressive. He set NCAA Division I-A records for rushing yards (6,279), scoring (452 points), touchdowns (75) and all-purpose yards (7,206).
He ran for 2,124 yards and 27 touchdowns this season, leading the Longhorns to the Cotton Bowl. He won the Heisman Trophy on Saturday.
To make room for Williams on the 40-man roster, the Rangers designated infielder Scott Sheldon for assignment.

Jorio3
08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
He was drafted by the Phillies and played in the minor leagues for 4 years. After the Rangers acquired him he never played another inning. I am not a game used expert, but what is the likelihood that there was even a bat made up by Louisville Slugger for Ricky Williams with Texas Rangers underneath his name?

danesei@yahoo.com
08-03-2014, 05:55 PM
I think it's possible that a Rangers bat was made for him. You could always email Louisville Slugger or ask Brian Hillerich here in the bat orders section.

I still find it amazing that Williams was traded TWICE for two first round picks and other picks (two first rounders and seven other picks to Washington from New Orleans for the right to draft him, then two first round picks and two other picks to New Orleans by Miami).

Jorio3
08-03-2014, 06:04 PM
I think it's possible that a Rangers bat was made for him. You could always email Louisville Slugger or ask Brian Hillerich here in the bat orders section.

I still find it amazing that Williams was traded TWICE for two first round picks and other picks (two first rounders and seven other picks to Washington from New Orleans for the right to draft him, then two first round picks and two other picks to New Orleans by Miami).

Thanks for that info DANESEI! That is very helpful. I will do that.