PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of the uninformed

dangerzone79
08-01-2014, 03:14 PM
This has been driving me nuts for awhile. I'm assuming you guys agree, but I thought I'd get a discussion going. I find it really shady to sell something on Ebay (or anywhere) signed by someone well known, in this case Jason Varitek, on some other player, probably a minor leaguers bat, and calling it "game used". Technically the bat is used... BUT NOT BY THE PLAYER THAT SIGNED IT! This is just one example but we all see it all the time. Some people do say in their listings that they can't say for sure the bat was used by the player, but many more do not specify that. Here is the current listing that is bothering me. Just a shame for the more uninformed, which we all were at one time.

Dan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JASON-VARITEK-Signed-Game-Used-Baseball-Bat-Pine-Tared-amp-Cracked-Red-Sox-MVP-/261550002999?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

danesei@yahoo.com
08-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't think that is nearly as egregious as those who sell retail bats as game used on the pretense that "It was used by someone in a game."

dangerzone79
08-01-2014, 04:53 PM
That is awful as well. Disgusting behavior.

Beckster24
08-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I agree with you, I saw this one too clearly can see its not a Tek bat but he has signed it to put such a high price on it too, doubt they will sell it

Roady
08-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Some make money their God and will lie, steal, and cheat to get it.

danesei@yahoo.com
08-02-2014, 12:31 AM
This might be one of the worst examples of this style of fraudulence:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331275245745

I emailed CelebzDirect22 that the hat was used by Manny Aybar (38) and not McGwire (25). They responded "We know that but players have been known to exchange bats, pants, caps etc. Thank you."

So, basically, they're knowingly selling a Manny Aybar used hat as a "Marc McGwire Signed Game Used St. Louis Cardinals Cap w COA!" (sic).

I feel bad for whomever (possibly a spouse or sibling) buys this for the McGwire fan in their life and severely overpays assuming it was used by McGwire.