PDA

View Full Version : Changes at MLB Stadiums that will affect AU collectors...

xpress34
07-26-2014, 08:26 PM
All -

Just came home from Coors Field (if you haven't seen the news from Denver, there is a major brewhaha coming between ownership and the fans)...

That said, apparently the Pirates (in Denver this weekend) filed a grievance with the MLBPA over the Rockies' policy that does not allow cabs or limos to drive players into the back lot.

The players had to get out at the gate and walk in. Now, as of 6:05pm MDT last night, MLB sent a memo to ALL 30 teams that they must now allow any vehicle carrying an MLB Player or MLB personnel who can provide valid MLB ID to drive into the stadium lots.

Not sure how the other stadiums work, but this will kill a large amount of autographing at Coors Field as they already limit when you can go down to the wall area - no one near the dugout unless your tickets are in the 1st ten rows, etc, etc.

The Rockies also instituted (and tried to lay the blame on the Twins) a new policy on being behind Home Plate on Sundays. On Sunday home games, at Coors Field if you have a Wheel Chair or WC Companion ticket (I'm a disabled vet) then you can go behind home plate on those Sundays. When the Twins were here, we were told that we could not talk to or call out to the players (i.e. ask for autographs) because it was a 'special BP for the Twins' (laying blame on the Twins).

I finally got Ron Gardenhire's attention (we've met before - he does a lot for Vets and the Military) and he came over and mentioned how quiet we all were. When I said we were told we couldn't talk to them (unless they initiated the conversation), he asked who told us that. We told him the Rockies said it was a Special BP and he said they didn't tell the Rockies we couldn't talk to them.

When I asked the Rockies before we went on field what would happen if I said hi to Ron (he told me to call to him and he would come over) I was told I would be asked to leave and I would be banned form anymore Sunday pregames on the field.

Great Fan Experience Rockies....

gingi79
07-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Obviously the legalization of a certain herb in the great state of CO has caught the interest of Rockies management.

Phil316
07-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Obviously the legalization of a certain herb in the great state of CO has caught the interest of Rockies management.

I am just waiting for the policies to change here in Seattle lol.

allstarsplus
07-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Interesting. It hasn't been a problem at Nats Park as players have the option. Many pull up to the curb and some into the lot and turn around.

I don't hawk autographs but will take kids down there as most players will sign through the fence. I enjoy more shooting video of it. I got plenty of good shots on my YouTube channel.

xpress34
07-28-2014, 07:40 AM
My apologies to the Pirates.

I was informed by one of my contacts within the Rockies yesterday that it was NOT the Pirates that filed the grievance - it wasn't even a team effort on any team's part.

It was a complaint by ONE prima-dona - Matt Kemp.

It was also explained to me that by my Rockies contact and their Gate Keeper that they are supposed to tell them cabs and limos to 'drive on in' and per some other autograph friends of mine, over the weekend the Rockies went so far as to ask players who did stop and get out (outside the gate) to get back in their vehicles and head on in - effectively aborting any chance of even asking a player for an autograph outside of Coors Field.

Yesterday, we did get Ike Davis (because he walked in the back) and Clint Hurdle - who stopped INSIDE the gate and then came to the gate to sign and talk before taking a golf cart inside.

Phil316
07-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Matt Kemp is having a rough year all-around so it does not surprise me.

lengthwise1
07-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Wow Smitty, looks like I have missed a lot at CF being busy and out of town this month...

emann
07-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Matt Kemp is having a rough year all-around so it does not surprise me.

If the rumors here are true and he gets traded to the Sox for Jon Lester, his year is about to get worse. I can't see any reason the fanbase would embrace his presence.

Anyway, the autograph thing seems to be so varied from stadium to stadium. I'm actually surprised with security concerns overall that MLB hasn't acted yet to prevent fans from interacting with players arriving or leaving the park across the board. I think the Sox players get hardened to signing anything at Fenway due to the player "parking lot" essentially being a partially closed off street where their cars remain on display for the entire game. The access is very close, but that just means the players basically just ignore the pleas of autograph seekers since they're so constant.

BTW, over the last few years, the Hall of Fame has apparently asked players not to sign at appearances and have heavy security to dissuade fans from asking. More than one player has said this as a response and I tend to believe them. The HOF has been putting "no autographs" on materials related to certain events also. Some players still sign, but it appears they really irk security by doing so.

godwulf
07-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Nah - pot makes you mellow. Not sure what drug would make somebody an anal-retentive wad...