PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Etiquette

godwulf
07-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Like most GU collectors, most of the items I acquire are things that I pay for, so this question doesn't really come up much...but a situation arose earlier this week that made me wonder whether I did the right thing, and I wanted to get others' input on it.

Lately, I've been going out to some of the Arizona League games, to watch the lower-ranked rookies and new signers play, and I've been noting which Diamondbacks player cracks a bat and then politely asking for it after the game, and then getting it signed, either then or later. (In the Fall League, there is too much competition from the kids and pretty young things for me to have a chance at those bats.)

Last Tuesday, the DBacks closer blew a 5-4 lead in the ninth inning, and a foul mood prevailed in the dugout, to put it mildly. I had seen two players break bats - one in the eighth and one in the ninth - and I was torn between just walking away and forgetting about them and asking the players if I could have them. (I am smart enough not to ask for autographs in a situation like that.)

Well, my acquisitive instincts prevailed, and I ended up asking, and both players went back into the dugout, retrieved the broken bat (from the trash can, in one case), and handed it to me without a word. One of the bats, which I knew had been cracked but in one piece when the player left the field, was broken in half in that distinctive "broken in half over the knee" way.

I'm hoping to get both bats signed before the game tonight, and I'm thinking about actually apologizing to the guys - or at least to the one that I know is conversant in English - for bugging them the other night, when I'm sure they were not in a mood for much fan interaction. I sort of feel some embarassment about having asked for those bats, given the circumstances. Opinions?

Sportskansascity
07-25-2014, 11:23 AM
I think you're fine. Minor league players aren't as worried about winning as they are getting to the next level. Their overall goal is to get to the big leagues and not win games in the minor leagues. I don't think you need to apologize in my opinion, but that part is entirely up to you.

BU54CB
07-25-2014, 02:31 PM
I'd venture to say they may have already forgotten about giving you the bat. If you feel the need, a quick apology wouldn't hurt, but don't think its absolutely necessary.

ferro39
07-25-2014, 03:11 PM
yeah, i dont think it's necessary at all.

cfern023
07-25-2014, 06:24 PM
I would, it can go a long way into showing you know they are human instead of some robot who plays baseball.

Id probably even try to give them some encouragement- it might be greatly appreciated.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Being nice never hurts, and it really is tough going from hitting near-.500 as a high school senior to trudging along at .260 in the AZL. I'm sure they'd appreciate the acknowledgement and encouragement. Heck, it could also make it clear that you recognized who they were and aren't just some guy who asks whoever's there for bats.

DJaeger22
07-25-2014, 06:58 PM
I do the same thing as you, asking for broken bats from minor leaguers. If I go to get it signed at a future game I'll usually say thanks again for the bat and that seems to work. If it's a player that's a higher prospect or someone I follow, I usually get something signed before the game and while they sign I'll ask if they break one could I have it after the game. I've only gotten one negative response, Francisco Lindor. The rest of the time they have been more than happy to look for me after if they had indeed broken one.

Cubman15
07-27-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't think you have anything to apologize for either, since it sounds like you were very respectful throughout the process. It probably wouldn't hurt to say thanks to them again while you're getting the bat signed, which would show that you're truly appreciative.

godwulf
07-28-2014, 05:27 PM
When I went to get the bats signed, I said something like, "Thanks again for the bat - that was a bad game and I hated to bug you afterward, but I'm really a fan and I was happy to see you guys bounce back the next night." I seemed to get a good vibe from both of them, or at least not a bad one.

The only reason I don't think I've ever asked a player for a broken bat before a game is that I'm afraid he might think I'm trying to jinx him. I've actually heard a couple of guys ask, and the player's reaction wasn't too positive. Most broken bats don't result in a hit, obviously, and asking for a broken bat before the game is almost like saying that you hope he grounds out at some point...or at least that's the impression I've gotten.

Anyway, thanks for the input, guy!