PDA

View Full Version : My humble Jose Canseco game-used collection

JasonM33
12-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Here's my collection as it currently looks. Keep in mind the jersey is a retail jersey. I just threw in for the visual impact.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/MyCansecogamers1.jpg

CansecoPower33
12-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice gloves - they're the ones that sold on the ebay live auction?

If you can, email me a few closeup shots of the helmet and gloves.

JasonM33
12-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Yep, those are the ones. I'll email some pics but I lost your email address. Send me a message when you get a chance and I'll send you the pics. Still trying to get my hands on a A's game used jersey.

jmeekins33@qwest.net

mailman93
12-24-2006, 01:01 AM
nice batting helmet. there very hard to find, especially A's ones. keep the collection growing. take care Dan

Snowbird
12-24-2006, 01:17 AM
I agree, great helmet and nice collection, good luck with your search for the jersey!

GameBats
12-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Nice helmet. Could you please post photos of the #s on back and the inside of the helmet for reference.

zonker
12-24-2006, 08:46 PM
;) great gloves! sweet, good luck on your collection & merry christmas

JasonM33
12-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Thanks everyone. This pic is the best I can do for now. I need a new camera. I'f anyone can help me photomatch it I'd be gratefull.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Canseco1990gamer2.jpg

GrndSlm
12-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Nice Helmet !! That helmet originally came from my office. I started working for Jose in the early 90"s with my marketing company (Grand Slam Marketing) before I became his agent and closed the marketing side. Jose was the first player that started marketing his game used stuff. He did this because after his 40/40 season he would get most or all of his bats stolen during most road trips. He asked the team for help on this and they just brushed it aside....Jose eventually got upset and started purchasing his gear himself. This way HE controlled were and how his items were protected. Once he started controlling his memorabilia then he started offering it to his fans !! It was never a money issue but Jose saw way to much fake items being sold to his fans. This became a trend with AROD, Jr. , Bonds and others to form the direct link from player to fans that you see today. Now, in my opinion, alot of the game used gear today is being mass produced which was not Jose's intention in the early 90's.
Have fun and enjoy the helmet !!! Do you still have the LOA from Grand Slam available?

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

CansecoPower33
12-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Juan,

I know this has been asked a lot, but would you happen to have any Canseco game used items for sale or open to offers? There are plenty here interested.

Merry Christmas,

Joe

JasonM33
12-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Nice Helmet !! That helmet originally came from my office. I started working for Jose in the early 90"s with my marketing company (Grand Slam Marketing) before I became his agent and closed the marketing side. Jose was the first player that started marketing his game used stuff. He did this because after his 40/40 season he would get most or all of his bats stolen during most road trips. He asked the team for help on this and they just brushed it aside....Jose eventually got upset and started purchasing his gear himself. This way HE controlled were and how his items were protected. Once he started controlling his memorabilia then he started offering it to his fans !! It was never a money issue but Jose saw way to much fake items being sold to his fans. This became a trend with AROD, Jr. , Bonds and others to form the direct link from player to fans that you see today. Now, in my opinion, alot of the game used gear today is being mass produced which was not Jose's intention in the early 90's.
Have fun and enjoy the helmet !!! Do you still have the LOA from Grand Slam available?

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

Hi Juan,

Thanks for sharing that. I always look forward to your replys on Canseco threads.

The only LOA that I have for the helmet is roughly 5 by 7. It has a green border and an Oakland A's logo on the top left corner. It says "from the Desk of Jose Canseco and it's signed by him. He says that the helmet was used during the 1990 regular season. It doesn't mention Grand Slam specifically. Is this the one you are referring to or was there another LOA? I'm so thankfull to have this helmet. I love it.

Thanks

-Jason

GrndSlm
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Man, I really wanted to keep that helmet when I first saw it !!! I know exactly which item this is becasue Jose wrote the LOA from his own personal note pad. That is why you have the "from the desk of Jose Canseco" on it. We were not that advanced back then but the letter alone is a gem.....I think he only wrote a hand full of those letter before I started doing them in the computer on Grand Slam Marketing stationary. REALLY NICE !!!

thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.lcom

P.S. I really dont have anything for sale. I kept all the Canseco stuff because it just has to many memories.

GrndSlm
12-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Also, look inside the helmet and you will see a circle stamped inside on the plastic. This will indicate the month and year the helmet was made!! Send me a pick and I will help you identify this information.

thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

CansecoPower33
12-26-2006, 03:33 PM
P.S. I really dont have anything for sale. I kept all the Canseco stuff because it just has to many memories.

I more than understand that.

JasonM33
12-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Juan! I'm going to try an get a good pic of the inside and send it to you. Once I do that I will have a question for you.

Take care.

-Jason

JasonM33
01-06-2007, 04:36 AM
Here's my latest pickup from ebay. Canseco socks. He he. They are reportedly Tampa Bay Devil Rays socks from the 2000 season. I got them because I don't see socks up for sale to often, they were inexpensive and I thought they were kind of interesting. They are clean and they don't smell. He he he. Whaddya think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/2000DevilRayssocks2.jpg

CansecoPower33
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Have to add this to the McGwire jockstrap as one of the strangest Bash Brother pieces on the forum.

I saw the socks on ebay. Did they come with any form of authentication, team letter? I hope you didn't buy some random dude's old socks.

JasonM33
01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Have to add this to the McGwire jockstrap as one of the strangest Bash Brother pieces on the forum.

I saw the socks on ebay. Did they come with any form of authentication, team letter? I hope you didn't buy some random dude's old socks.

Whoa! The jockstrap is crossing a line for me. I don't think I could go there.

The socks came with a COA but not a team letter. It's not exactly rock-solid provenance but I'm pretty sure they're the real deal. They were cheap so what the heck.

-Jason M

Canseco44
01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Man I thought several times about buying those socks but just couldn't give up the $49.95 plus shipping for them. They look authentic and who can say they have Canseco game socks? If nothing else they will make great bat protectors. Just kidding Jason, Thanks for the photos. If anyone has any Canseco bat requests for trade or sale let me know.

Thanks Todd

JasonM33
03-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Woo hoo!!!

I'm really excited right now because I finally scored a Canseco game used baseball mitt. It seems to come with some pretty good provenance too. I'll post pics as soon as it arrives.

It looks like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/52990894.jpg

-Jason M

JRocker49
03-10-2007, 09:12 AM
congrats on the glove any ideas where you can geta nice case for them i need one for my rocker glove

JasonM33
03-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I have no idea where to find a case. I'm going to start looking for one soon. If I find anything good I'll let you know.

-Jason M

mailman93
03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Congrats on the Canseco glove. does it have his name stitched in the glove? I have my glove in a basketball cube. you just put the glove on an angle, it fits great. it all depends how much you want too spend on a display, the basketball cube was like $20 at a sports show . keep the Canseco collection growing. take care Dan

JasonM33
03-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Dan.

It's good to hear from you. I'm not sure if it has the name stitched in it or not. I don't think so. According to Rawlings it was delivered to Canseco in May of 1993. The seller thought this glove might have been the one he used when he pitched against Boston and when the ball bounced off his head (Doh!). I have since determined that it was a Mizuno glove hat was used during the pitching game. I can't tell what glove he used when the ball bounced off his head. I suspect that it was the Mizuno as well. The seller of the glove said that Canseco told him that he got rid of the Mizuno glove because he said it was bad luck. With that said i suspect that My glove was the one he got to replace the Mizuno. His 1993 season was cut short because of the elbow injury so I think that the glove was actully used in the 1994 season the few times he wasn't a DH. It might even be the exact glove that was in the picture I posted. It may have been used some in 1993 but I'm not sure. I can't wait to get my hands on this glove.

-Jason M

thomecollector
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Jason,
That may be a 94 glove . If it is theone in the pic. Because that jersey is a '94. I know because of the patch on the right sleeve. Hope this helps.
Roger

JasonM33
03-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Well, I did some research and it looks like Jose played right field in May and June 1993. He spent all of 1994 as a DH. So the glove still could have recieved a little use in 1993 and maybe in spring trainging or pregame warmups in 1994. I don't see that he ever played right field in an official game for the 1994 season.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how long most players will use the same glove? I'm sure it's different for everyone but does anyone have any insight on that subject?

Thanks to everyone for looking. I should have pics of the glove up by Wednesday.

-Jason M

mailman93
03-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey Jason, it all depends on the player. I've heard sometimes players use their gloves for a year, or maybe 2. when he went to Texas, he never played that much of the field. thats why I find that a Canseco fielding glove, is probably the hardest thing to obtain. the glove your getting, is a tan or black glove? it probably will have light wear, but just be thankful you found one. looking forward on seeing your glove. thanks Dan

JasonM33
03-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks

My glove is black and he signed it on the red Rawlings label. It definitely looks used but it's lightly used. I'm really excited about getting it because it's the one thing I thought was so rare that I may never get one. He was basically a DH for the last 8 years of his career. I'm feeling pretty lucky because I happened to be at the right place at the right time.

-Jason M

JasonM33
03-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I got it today. It's definitely soft and broken in with some light usage. Here are the pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Cansecomitt1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Cansecomitt2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Cansecomitt3.jpg

And finally a picture of my collection as it currently is. The jersey is one of those Scoreboard 2 of 1990s that are always popping up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Canseco1.jpg

-Jason M

JasonM33
04-28-2007, 01:54 AM
New addition! I picked up this game used 1988 undershirt from Universal Rarities.

-Jason M

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/1988gameusedundershirt1.jpg

camarokids
04-28-2007, 08:59 AM
I just scored another Canseco Devil Rays gamer last night for my collection. I now have 4 Canseco gamers (all Devil Rays) . Will post pics after receiving the bat.....

mailman93
04-28-2007, 02:18 PM
nice pick up guys. I've picked up a few nice Canseco things. I got the 1989 World Series HR bat from game 3. It looks amazing, great wear. I also picked up a 1994 home Texas Rangers jersey. shows great wear, he must of used it for alot of the season. I also got a Devil Rays Bat, that I should recieve this week. keep the Canseco collections growing. thanks Dan

JasonM33
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/Canseco2.jpg

Here's a new picture of my collection for those who may be interested. Sorry if it's a little repetative. He he he.

-Jason M

nomarmauerfan
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I know this is a game-used forum, but since I'm speaking with Canseco collectors, I thought I'd ask. I met Jose at a autograph signing at "The Baseball Card Shoppe" in Fishkill, NY in 1987. He signed a photo that I purchased at a shop in Cooperstown, NY near the HOF. He stated that he never saw the pic before (I believe its from 1985). I have never seen another one since. Here is a pic of it. If any of you guys are interested, let me know. I'm in the process of unloading all of my "old" stuff, since my 6-year old son is getting into collecting. So, I'm selling off my Canseco, Mets, and McGwire stuff to get him some nice items (Mauer, Nomar, Liriano) for when he's older. I'll try and post a pic, but if it doesn't work, send an email to dixey2044@msn.com. Thanks.

Mike

JasonM33
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey Mike,

Did you get my email yesterday afternoon?

Thanks buddy

nomarmauerfan
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Got it Jason. The bat will be on its way once I get the money order in the mail. Thanks and enjoy the bat.

Mike

JasonM33
05-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks buddy!

-Jason M

camarokids
05-05-2007, 12:43 PM
This is just what you need for your collection then get some pants and it looks like you'll be done .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jose-Canseco-Game-Used-Mizuno-Cleats-late-80s_W0QQitemZ140113756228QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50117Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JasonM33
05-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I've never seen spikes like that on his feet. At least when he played for the A's. Someboby correct me if I'm wrong.

-Jason M

mailman93
05-06-2007, 06:17 PM
those shoes don't look right. I have a pair of game used Canseco shoes, and there exactly like the ones Canseco used for the 40/40 display. I wouldn't touch it. thanks Dan

JasonM33
05-07-2007, 12:28 AM
No documentation with that or any of the other items from that seller. Brand new user id and next to no feedback. No thanks. He he he.

-Jason M

JasonM33
05-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Here's a new pic that shows my latest pickup. I just got this 1988 Worth Tennessee Thumper. 35 inch, no finish, signed 88 mvp. I've been looking for a nice one of these for a while.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/IpreferKeaton/misc/bats1.jpg

joelsabi
01-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I dont see any photos. can you repost photos for this thread. thanks