PDA

View Full Version : Do you collect Game-Used Bases?

MTC
07-21-2014, 12:13 PM
I know a lot of people collect a wide assortment of stuff around here, with some being focused more on just collecting game-used bases. However, I was wondering if there was a certain section out there that only collected game-used bases.

If this is you, what do you love about game-used bases? And how do you display them? Please attach any good shots you may have of your most treasured bases and how you've framed them. I've never paid much attention to bases but I'm starting to warm up to them. I guess one advantage they have is that they are used for a much larger portion of the game than just a single baseball. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

tbone90
07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I collect a wide range of game used baseball items, mostly bats, and as part of that I also collect game used bases. I don't collect statistically relevent bases from specific games or players careers though. I only collect game used bases with logo's printed on top of the bag. The logo's are usually pretty colorful, clear in what the particular game or event was and look great all dirtied up from game use. I have approximately 25-30 of them commorating all sorts of different occasions. The bases I have range from World Series and All Star games to the WBC and the Civil Right game. Quite a few are from the final season or inaugural season of ballparks and I'm always on the search for ones I don't have. Most recently this year I aquired logo bases from the 100th Anniversary game at Wrigley and the anniversary of Hank Aaron's 715 HR's on Opening Day from the Braves.

I cut out wooden holders from plywood, paint them white and use large picture hangers on them. The moubnts/hangers slide in the base where the mounting plate goes for games and I hang them on the wall. It gives them almost a floating look.

There's never seemed to be a large contingency of g/u base collectors but I sure enjoy them in my collection. I'm looking to the National next week to see if I can find any new ones to add!

MTC
07-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I collect a wide range of game used baseball items, mostly bats, and as part of that I also collect game used bases. I don't collect statistically relevent bases from specific games or players careers though. I only collect game used bases with logo's printed on top of the bag. The logo's are usually pretty colorful, clear in what the particular game or event was and look great all dirtied up from game use. I have approximately 25-30 of them commorating all sorts of different occasions. The bases I have range from World Series and All Star games to the WBC and the Civil Right game. Quite a few are from the final season or inaugural season of ballparks and I'm always on the search for ones I don't have. Most recently this year I aquired logo bases from the 100th Anniversary game at Wrigley and the anniversary of Hank Aaron's 715 HR's on Opening Day from the Braves.

I cut out wooden holders from plywood, paint them white and use large picture hangers on them. The moubnts/hangers slide in the base where the mounting plate goes for games and I hang them on the wall. It gives them almost a floating look.

There's never seemed to be a large contingency of g/u base collectors but I sure enjoy them in my collection. I'm looking to the National next week to see if I can find any new ones to add!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the information and your story, Tony. Do you have any pictures you could share of them on your wall?

tbone90
07-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Sure, I'll try to post a couple of pics this evening.

mbenga28
07-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Do autographs on game used bases last? I've seen some where you can barely make out the signature. Is it due to the dirt or is the surface not marker friendly?

volunteer
07-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Do autographs on game used bases last? I've seen some where you can barely make out the signature. Is it due to the dirt or is the surface not marker friendly?

They need to be sanded down to make the surface smooth in order for the sharpie to take.

Hoosier39
07-21-2014, 06:37 PM
I have about 4 bases that I would sell if anyone has an interest. My email is Hoosiers39 at gmail

mreph
07-21-2014, 08:04 PM
My favorite piece of game used memorabilia is a Brett Gardner Stolen Base in which he inscribed "I stole this base". I got him to sign it in Person and I had seen it done before with other players and thought it was such a clever inscription for a base

Wrigley2010
07-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Not in to game used bases myself but if I was these would be at the top of my list... http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=225998&pgmode1=partsearch&pgcust1=&&qt[0].type=fieldmatch&qt[0].name=title&qt[0].value1=traveling

ironmanfan
07-23-2014, 06:17 AM
these are the only two game used bases I own:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/DSC00486.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/DSC00485.jpg

there was no sanding done on these prior to being signed

64SHEA
07-23-2014, 05:54 PM

I have two bases with several autos and so far have had no problems with fading. Of course just like anything how you store/display it will make a big difference.

The real problem is getting a good looking auto. There are indentations going all over the base as well as little bumps that I assume are for grip. They can make it difficult to sign the base. If you get a player who doesn't really care it wont look great. You can see how Mariano took his time while it seems Pedroia said good enough and moved on.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5591/14486821638_dff85488f7.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/o59KmS)IMG_7043 (https://flic.kr/p/o59KmS) by mets1190 (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr

tbone90
07-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Some game used bases. Sorry for the poor picture quality...

Jules9
07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Nice stuff. Love the bases with the logos on them.

One time Chase Utley had an inside the park home run and the phillies were selling all three bases from it but of course I didn't buy them and wish I did.

Enyouartist
07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Awesome stuff! ( I owned Jeter's 1500hit base, but sold it because I never got around to framing it.) I love how you just have them "as is" on the wall! How did you hang those?

MichaelofSF
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Some game used bases. Sorry for the poor picture quality...

really cool looking display

tbone90
07-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys. I had a couple people ask about the holders I use to mount the bases so here's a couple pics...

tbone90
07-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I use the trinagle holders for second base bags with the logo's printed at an angle. They hang very nicely and readable then.

MTC
07-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Tony, your collection looks great! Thank you so much for sharing those pictures with us. Are the stumps that go into the ground on the bases easy to take off? I assume that's what you did in order to place them so nicely on the wall.

Also, what do people do when they have bases that are autographed and want to display them? Is there some sort of acrylic case like those made for baseballs but fit bases?

tbone90
07-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Yes, the metal mounting post/plate come off the bases really easy. There's several screws on all four sides that need removed and the metal post can then just be pulled out of the back of the base.

Dcdopson@aol.com
07-28-2014, 08:14 AM
TBone- awesome collection. What type of wood are you using for the display, and what is the width of wood to avoid it cracking and falling? Oh, and if you ever move the Vets Stadium, I'm in!

MTC
08-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know of any base frames or cases that allow you to display the base without taking the metal post off the base?

esquiresports
08-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Picked up some nice displays off of eBay for $80 or so.

I enjoy bases because they can be directly tied to an event (e.g., when there are special logo bases) or a statistic (you can't get your 3,000th hit without touching first base).

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/FF3A9A28-6B7C-4F8E-9D98-A9320ACC4F4B_zpsd6kzwzpl.jpg
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/10967444-A463-4871-AA56-1299C4541308_zpsc5habpnd.jpg

lengthwise1
08-19-2014, 05:14 PM
I was stoked to grab this one on Sunday

esigs
03-28-2015, 03:04 PM

Tony, for each commemorative base, do you know roughly how many times teams use bases with the logo vs. just a jewel being commemorative? For example, for Ripken's retirement, it looks like they had the #8 jewel in many games, but the base with the farewell logo was used only in the final home series? On the other hand, the bases celebrating a stadium milestone seem to have been used on different dates not just the end of the season. I'm just trying to get a sense of how many of these logo bases were used for each logo type, if there is any pattern throughout MLB.