PDA

View Full Version : Help Dating Game Used Base

GameBats
07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi All,

I aquired this game used base from Mets/Steiner a few years back. At the time I was told it was used during the 1997 Jackie Robinson Day Ceremony at Shea Stadium. However, the base appears to be from a different era. Does anyone know or have an opinion on when this base may have been used at Shea Stadium?

ironmanfan
07-17-2014, 04:01 PM
There was another celebration of Jackie back on Opening Day 1987 (40th Anniv.), so it may perhaps date to then. May be worth checking the New York Times on MicroFilm for any story documentation,

GameBats
07-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks Ironmanfan, I've been searching for a while with no luck. I'll try the NYT

ironmanfan
07-18-2014, 06:41 AM
I remember this because I was at the Orioles Opening Day that year in Memorial Stadium (it was bitter cold) and they had a similar tribute/ceremony with first base with a 42 on it...Up until that time, I had just assumed Jackie had started his career as a 2nd baseman.

GameBats
07-22-2014, 09:23 AM
I was able to find a photo from the 1987 Opener at Shea Stadium and "42 was painted on 2nd base, unfortunately in a different font size then the base I own.

I noticed some bases in a recent auction that were from the late 1960's that had the exact style "Rawlings" brand on the center of the base. If anyone has any experiance with style matching bases please chime in.

Thanks,
John