PDA

View Full Version : PSA Bat Authentication vs Bat Grading

Westsiders
07-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Over the past few years, I've owned a decent number of PSA Authenticated game used bats...and all those bats were both authenticated and Graded.

I've come across a few bats recently which are authenticated, but not graded. For example on a Jeter bat, the letter will state "it is our opinion that the bat is authentic and used by Jeter during the referenced labeling period."

My question is this: In general, are these bats not graded because the grading costs more money, or is it due to the fact that they would receive a low grade?
Is there a base grade that such a bat (with the authentication letter) would receive (such as a GU7).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hoosier39
07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
I think we hit on this subject a few weeks ago

Westsiders
07-10-2014, 09:58 AM
I think we hit on this subject a few weeks ago

Couldn't find it. Can you post a link? Thanks.

Enyouartist
07-10-2014, 11:14 AM
When I sold my Bryce Harper bat, it was recommended to me by the auctioneer that the bat get graded because the non-graded ones have collector assumptions that it would grade at an 8 or lower. I thought it was sage advise so I graded it. Yes, there is an additional cost. Almost double the price I think.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-10-2014, 04:55 PM
From my understanding, it works something like this:

GU6 and up: Must have identifiable player characteristics and match factory order records for player and/or team. Player who used the bat must match the player named on the bat. Bat must show some degree of use in a game.

GU5: Game ready bat. Bat will show no game use. Bat will match factory order records.

GU4: Bat used by someone other than player named on the barrel, essentially. Bat will match factory order records.

GU3 and under: Team index bats and bats not matching factory order records.

So, I suppose this means that a GU LOA without the grade would be assumed a GU6/GU7. However, often times, a GU8 or lower grade will be viewed (by the market) as worse than an ungraded bat. This isn't a fair assessment of the grade, but it is what it is.

In order for a bat to get a GU8.5 grade or higher, the bat must have some degree of provenance or must have been used by a player with STRONG player identification characteristics. As a result of this, most (and possibly all) current player game used bats without provenance will grade no higher than an 8. So, basically, if you have a game used bat signed by a player, you might as well have the player inscribe "game used" onto the barrel. The inscription might not carry too much weight, but it might be all that's needed to bump the grade from a GU8 to a GU8.5+.

Westsiders
07-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Really appreciate the response. Thanks.

From my understanding, it works something like this:

GU6 and up: Must have identifiable player characteristics and match factory order records for player and/or team. Player who used the bat must match the player named on the bat. Bat must show some degree of use in a game.

GU5: Game ready bat. Bat will show no game use. Bat will match factory order records.

GU4: Bat used by someone other than player named on the barrel, essentially. Bat will match factory order records.

GU3 and under: Team index bats and bats not matching factory order records.

So, I suppose this means that a GU LOA without the grade would be assumed a GU6/GU7. However, often times, a GU8 or lower grade will be viewed (by the market) as worse than an ungraded bat. This isn't a fair assessment of the grade, but it is what it is.

In order for a bat to get a GU8.5 grade or higher, the bat must have some degree of provenance or must have been used by a player with STRONG player identification characteristics. As a result of this, most (and possibly all) current player game used bats without provenance will grade no higher than an 8. So, basically, if you have a game used bat signed by a player, you might as well have the player inscribe "game used" onto the barrel. The inscription might not carry too much weight, but it might be all that's needed to bump the grade from a GU8 to a GU8.5+.