PDA

View Full Version : Most undervalued player entering 2007 Baseball Season?

richpick
12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I am opening up for discussion the question to the forum of what player is undervalued opening the 2007 baseball season and why you believe this is so.

RobSteinmetz
12-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I'll go with Tom Glavine, especially his earlier Braves stuff. There's a chance he is baseball's last 300 game winner. On the milestone theme, I also think Biggio stuff also has a lot of room to grow (3,000 hits is right around the corner). I'm sure I'll catch a lot of heat for even suggesting this, but I don't think we've seen the peak of real Pujols memorabilia either. Demand is rising, and supply is virtually non-existent.

bscott
12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
A strong argument can be made about Miguel Cabrera. He's so young and he's already got 100 homers under his belt. There is potential for some massive numbers from "Pujols, Jr" by the time he hangs up his cleats.

Most everybody knows about Cabrera's potential by now.
This isn't news.

However, I have noticed his GU bats are arguably very reasonable in price, considering Cabrera could quietly win the triple crown one day soon. And the Marlins themselves are going to be quiet contenders for years to come, anchored by some young guns.

The question is: Will fans come to embrace Cabrera the way they have Pujols or Jeter?

-bscott.

JETEFAN
12-21-2006, 05:40 PM
A strong argument can be made about Miguel Cabrera. He's so young and he's already got 100 homers under his belt. There is potential for some massive numbers from "Pujols, Jr" by the time he hangs up his cleats.

Most everybody knows about Cabrera's potential by now.
This isn't news.

However, I have noticed his GU bats are arguably very reasonable in price, considering Cabrera could quietly win the triple crown one day soon. And the Marlins themselves are going to be quiet contenders for years to come, anchored by some young guns.

The question is: Will fans come to embrace Cabrera the way they have Pujols or Jeter?

-bscott.

Send him to a bigger market where fans care about their BB, major stud!!!
George

stkmtimo
12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, I think a guy like Mark Buehrle is very undervalued. Unfortunately, he had a tough season last year but he does have the potential for 200+ wins should he stay healthy and plays like he did in 2005 consisently. I think he's a pitcher who can win 15-18 games a year by being deceptive and a finesse pitcher rather than a guy who will dominate you with a 93 MPH slider.

Tim

Nathan
12-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Jamie Moyer, because it's tough for most to fully appreciate a pitcher whose fastball registers a lower number than his age.;)

jake33
12-22-2006, 09:20 AM
rocco Baldelli.

The biggest problem with this industry of sports collecting for not jsut gmae used stuff but cards and other items, is that hype is mostly what sells stuff. Take for instance when Baldelli was a rookie his stuff was almost double the price it is now and he has become a BETTER ball player since then. More often than not people over estimate and fall in love woth players so fast, expecting them to be the next_____. Take for instance Phillip Rivers, he makes the pro bowl over tom brady because he is the new hot topic in the NFl. consistancy is boring and people always look for something new to cheer about...

TNTtoys
12-22-2006, 09:42 AM
I'll vote Greg Maddux... considering the hall of fame career he has had, his game used equipment is a bargain...I suppose the bigger issue is the popularity of a good pitcher vs. a power hitter -- he may have had a point with the 'chicks dig the long ball' commercial (hmmm someone else voted for Glavine here too).

skipcareyisfat
12-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't call him the most undervalued player, but Carlos Lee material is surprisingly inexpensive given the number of good years he's had.

rose14
12-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I think Travis Hafner is the most undervalued player out there. In roughly 4 seasons he has 118 homers, 380 rbi's and an average of just over .300. If he hadn't got hurt and missed the last month of this past season he would have probably hit 50 homers and 135 rbi's. He hit six grand slams this year.

Birdbats
12-22-2006, 11:09 AM
I'll put a different spin on this one and say Stan Musial. The Man maybe the most undervalued superstar of all time. It's rare to find a list of the top ten all-time greats and not find Stan's name, but his memorabilia doesn't reflect that status.

In the last Mastro auction, for example, a 1947 Ted Williams bat sold for almost $30K; a 1949 Musial sold for $6K. A 1950s Williams sold for $12,650; a 1950s Musial sold for $4,600. A 1966 Mantle sold for $14K... I could go on and on. Maybe it's because he wasn't controversial, maybe it's because he didn't play on the East coast -- I'm sure there are many factors. But, there's no good reason Musial's memorabilia should lag so far behind players like Williams, Mantle, DiMaggio and others.

As for current players, I agree with Miguel Cabrera. He's a superstar that whose stuff can be bought at minor star prices. I'll also throw out Steve Finley (2,500+ hits, 300+ HR) and Edgar Renteria (5X all-star). I've seen bats from both guys inexplicably sell for less than $100 on eBay.

Among the recently retired, Larry Walker (1 MVP, 5 ASG, 3 batting titles) and Tony Gwynn (15 ASG, 8 batting titles, soon-to-be HOF) seem to be undervalued. I know Gwynn flooded the market with game jerseys and bats, which deflated the value of his items -- but the fact remains that his stuff is very affordable compared to his legacy as one of the game's greatest hitters.

suave1477
12-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I AM SURE IM GOING TO CATCH SOME FLACK FOR THESE BUT HERE WE GO AND THE REASONS WHY!!! I HAVE 3

1 Eric Gagne - I beleive this speaks for itself if he can comeback healthy this season and stay healthy he will be one of the best ever pitchers in baseball - First Closer to win the CY Young since Dennis Eckersly

2 Rich Aurilia - (Lets keep in mind hes a back up player) I think he goes way unoticed in a good strong season he can hit a .300 batting average and more, and has produced up to 37 home runs in one season yet last season he was a back up infielder for the Reds - with a .300 BA and 23 Hr's

3 Bubba Crosby - Arguably the best Outfielder the Yankees had in 2004 2005 & 2006 not to mention had potential to be a good hitter, all on making peanuts $300,000 a year. When coming out of Triple AAA his average was .361 with consistant play you cannot tell me he doesn't have potential to be more then a back up.
I tip my hat off to the Reds for picking him up I hope he will get his chance to shine!!!

earlywynnfan
12-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Carl Crawford

SiddFinch
12-23-2006, 12:44 PM
suave, unless Gagne comes back throwing 98+ and blows hitters away for 2 straight seasons again, he will be written off by most fans and collectors as another steroid era asterisk.

geoff
12-23-2006, 03:45 PM
It could be Nick Markakis of the Orioles.I could be bios because im an Orioles fan but this yr he could become an All Star.

BoneRubbedBat
12-23-2006, 05:50 PM
I agree with Ken. My vote is for Carl Crawford.