PDA

View Full Version : Redskins

NEFAN
06-23-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm not trying to stir up a closed conversation, just offer a solution.

If you remember, Phoenix wanted a Superbowl and couldn't get one because Arizona didn't recognize MLK day. When the added the day, they got the game.

Snyder is going to have to get something in return for changing the name, so offer him a Superbowl. I bet he gives in.

I even have a name suggestion: The Washington Warriors. My old High School uses the same logo and call themselves that.

sox83cubs84
06-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Warriors may well be deemed offensive by the PC Police as well. Milwaukee's Marquette University used to name their teams the Warriors, but the race card players admonished them, as well. Their teams are now the Golden Eagles.

Dave Miedema

Mark17
06-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Funny..... I find the name "Washington" offensive. :rolleyes:

DJaeger22
06-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Why not just take out the Red and leave Skins. Syracuse did this when they went from Orangemen to Orange.

Skizzick
06-25-2014, 05:14 AM
I suggest changing it to the Washington Redmen, and the logo would just be a picture of rapper Redman of Wu Tang Clan fame.

DJaeger22
06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
I suggest changing it to the Washington Redmen, and the logo would just be a picture of rapper Redman of Wu Tang Clan fame.

I changed my mind, I support this idea instead hahaha

coxfan
06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
I know we don't want this thread to go the unpleasant route, but I can't resist these observations:

1) The WNBA showed wisdom in its name choices: Teams named " Sky, sun, and dream" should be safe.

2) Many sports teams change names over long periods. The Yankees started as " Highlanders" and kept that as its legal name for decades after " Yankees" replaced it with fans. The Braves started as " Boston Red Stockings" after they replaced the Cincinnati Red Stockings of 1869 ( The Cincinnati baseball club disbanded its " first professional" nine in 1870, and some of its top players moved to Boston, forming the future Braves.) Likewise, the Cubs started as the " White Stockings", though the Red Sox and White Sox are not connected with them except in borrowing versions of the old names. The Dodgers were once the " Bridegrooms", etc.

3) Names are sometimes changed for other objectionable reasons: The Reds became the Redlegs during the McCarthy era, because " Red" had bad connotations.

4) The Redskins were the last NFL team to integrate, doing so under pressure from the JFK administration. Thus we have the irony that the Redskins discriminated on skin color!

genius
06-26-2014, 09:15 AM
1) The WNBA showed wisdom in its name choices: Teams named " Sky, sun, and dream" should be safe.

Safe indeed, perhaps even wise, but incredibly boring!

godwulf
06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Who even says "redskins" in a derogatory way, outside of an old western film from the '40s? In the Red Mesa Unified School District in northeastern Arizona, they have a football team called the "Redskins", and the superintendant, a member of the Navajo nation, defends the name and has no plans to change it. The idea that a huge number of Indians - and no, they don't prefer "Native American", polls and studies have shown - are offended is just wrong. I have an acquaintance in New Mexico, half-Indian himself, who recently broached the subject to the tribal leadership in his area, and the concensus among them was that the current "Redskins" controversy is silly and a big joke.

slab0meat
06-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Who even says "redskins" in a derogatory way, outside of an old western film from the '40s? In the Red Mesa Unified School District in northeastern Arizona, they have a football team called the "Redskins", and the superintendant, a member of the Navajo nation, defends the name and has no plans to change it. The idea that a huge number of Indians - and no, they don't prefer "Native American", polls and studies have shown - are offended is just wrong. I have an acquaintance in New Mexico, half-Indian himself, who recently broached the subject to the tribal leadership in his area, and the concensus among them was that the current "Redskins" controversy is silly and a big joke.

THOSE opinions are quickly dismissed or ignored. Only the offended ones are recognized.

beachpetrol
07-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Here's a letter from Bruce Allen earlier this year, with some facts about the Redskins name/logo.

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/letter-from-pres-bruce-allen.pdf

NEFAN
07-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Here's a letter from Bruce Allen earlier this year, with some facts about the Redskins name/logo.

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/letter-from-pres-bruce-allen.pdf

Very interesting read!

sox83cubs84
08-09-2014, 05:35 PM
The PC Police are on the rise again. This time, it's at the University of Minnesota, where the Gophers' stadium is being used in 2014 to house Vikings games, and where the Redskins are due to play this season.

The University is refusing to allow the use of the name "Redskins" in any spoken or written capacity, and they have told the Redskins that they expect them to wear an alternate uniform that does not depict the team name nor the current helmet logo.

Fortunately, the Gophers PC Police may be foiled in their attempts to impose their will on everyone else. The final call on uniform usage rests with the NFL, not the stadium.

Dave Miedema