PDA

View Full Version : Polanco has just destroyed Singleton and Springers prices combined.

helf35
06-11-2014, 11:38 AM
$16,600 for his Debut Jersey from last night with only 4 hours remaining.

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?sid=1101001&auctionId=218426

ChrisCavalier
06-11-2014, 12:12 PM
$16,600 for his Debut Jersey from last night with only 4 hours remaining.[/URL]
I know the Pirates are very high on this prospect (and that he plays right field like Clemente did) but that price for someone who has played only one game is pretty astounding. Btw, I do also understand that some (all?) of proceeds go to the Pittsburgh Pirates charities and maybe that is assisting the price.

-Chris

helf35
06-11-2014, 12:18 PM
I also think having the military appreciation jersey on his debut night is also adding to the value and eye appeal.

Melissa1334
06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
a jersey used in one game. i still rather have a regular one used for a lot of games over commemorative one game ones. even if he pans out, that jersey will never be worth that obviously lol but as mentioned, money goes to charity

BamaHater
06-11-2014, 03:51 PM
$26,100 was the winning bid :eek:
That is crazy

ChrisCavalier
06-11-2014, 04:09 PM
$26,100 was the winning bid :eek:
That is crazy
That is crazy. I would not have paid a penny over $25,000.

genius
06-11-2014, 04:13 PM
sell your stuff now, because g/u is in a

gorilla777
06-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Maybe a bubble for widely available modern era items, but not for quality vintage.

teddy406
06-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Gorilla. I totally agree. Stick to the old stuff in the majority of cases. New stuff is everywhere. Dime a Dozen, supply and demand, etc.

PAC
06-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Gorilla. I totally agree. Stick to the old stuff in the majority of cases. New stuff is everywhere. Dime a Dozen, supply and demand, etc.

Today's jerseys will be considered rare 10 years from now, when players are required to wear a minimum of 100 jerseys per day LOL

danesei@yahoo.com
06-11-2014, 06:49 PM
sell your stuff now, because g/u is in a bubble

I don't think it's accurate to gauge this as a bubble, since the insane prices seem to only occur on MLB controlled auctions. I don't really see insane prices coming for common items outside that site. Even Goldin items, which tend to be overpriced due to the marketing they do, don't come close to the ridiculous prices MLB/MiLB auctions generate.

The hobby *might* be in a bubble, but attribution of isolated sales as a basis for this conclusion is faulty. The insane prices being attained at auction would be more indicative of the broader economy entering into a bubble (similar to Singapore seeing $100,000 tabs and $1-2mm weeks for bottle service in VIP clubs) than a specific segment/hobby.

Another thing to consider is provenance. With MLB/MiLB auction items, where the date is stated, the provenance is first person and verifiable. This beats photo-matching, personal traits or anything else that might go into valuing an item. If an item requires extensive knowledge of a player's traits, or possibly esoteric understanding of design, the potential marketability will be limited to those who understand what they're buying. Couple this with the market being a closed system, and you'll see suppressed pricing. Improving the access of knowledge and creating a system where provenance can be verified 50+ years from now (assuming MLB is still active) will indubitably increase marketability and, in turn, prices.

Given the circumstances behind the item, one never knows why the price was so high (maybe Polanco, himself, had been bidding on the item), and it probably won't have any real impact on the future values of items sold of a similar nature. It's a specific market, with unmatched provenance. MLB authentication, on items tagged witnessed or game used and dated, would be the closest non-government document item that could be considered provenance of itself.

Chain of custody, marketability, and unmatched provenance drive MLB/MiLB auction prices to levels unmatched anywhere else. In fact, if the Polanco item were consigned to Goldin, it might not even get $5000, even with Goldin's marketing machine. On eBay, it might not even get $1500.

Roady
06-11-2014, 09:30 PM
My Polanco game worn autographed minor league jersey worn on Ronald McDonald House night should be worth a bit more now. :)

Mattapan03
06-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Thats just ridiculous.

Thats Tom Brady G/U $

R_Aaronson
06-12-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't think it's accurate to gauge this as a bubble, since the insane prices seem to only occur on MLB controlled auctions. I don't really see insane prices coming for common items outside that site. Even Goldin items, which tend to be overpriced due to the marketing they do, don't come close to the ridiculous prices MLB/MiLB auctions generate.

The hobby *might* be in a bubble, but attribution of isolated sales as a basis for this conclusion is faulty. The insane prices being attained at auction would be more indicative of the broader economy entering into a bubble (similar to Singapore seeing $100,000 tabs and $1-2mm weeks for bottle service in VIP clubs) than a specific segment/hobby.

Another thing to consider is provenance. With MLB/MiLB auction items, where the date is stated, the provenance is first person and verifiable. This beats photo-matching, personal traits or anything else that might go into valuing an item. If an item requires extensive knowledge of a player's traits, or possibly esoteric understanding of design, the potential marketability will be limited to those who understand what they're buying. Couple this with the market being a closed system, and you'll see suppressed pricing. Improving the access of knowledge and creating a system where provenance can be verified 50+ years from now (assuming MLB is still active) will indubitably increase marketability and, in turn, prices.

Given the circumstances behind the item, one never knows why the price was so high (maybe Polanco, himself, had been bidding on the item), and it probably won't have any real impact on the future values of items sold of a similar nature. It's a specific market, with unmatched provenance. MLB authentication, on items tagged witnessed or game used and dated, would be the closest non-government document item that could be considered provenance of itself.

Chain of custody, marketability, and unmatched provenance drive MLB/MiLB auction prices to levels unmatched anywhere else. In fact, if the Polanco item were consigned to Goldin, it might not even get $5000, even with Goldin's marketing machine. On eBay, it might not even get $1500.

Nothing beats a solid photo-match when it comes to provenance, in my opinion.

-Randy

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Nothing beats a solid photo-match when it comes to provenance, in my opinion.

-Randy

Anyone dumb enough to drop $26,000 on a Palanco jersey probably doesn't even know what a photo match is...and I find MLB authentication to be better when it comes to overpriced items like these....they just aren't educated people.

Roady
06-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Lets not forget that the winning bidder is not the only one running the prices up on these jerseys.
We focus on the winner but forget that there are others who are just as crazy, in my opinion.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Lets not forget that the winning bidder is not the only one running the prices up on these jerseys.
We focus on the winner but forget that there are others who are just as crazy, in my opinion.

Exactly , there were 6 people to bid at least 10 grand.

Lunytune2
06-12-2014, 04:26 PM
I heard the Pirates AAA afiliate the Indianapolis Indians bought it .

5toolplayer
06-12-2014, 09:08 PM
:eek: Too Funny. I remember when Alvarez was the next big thing in Pittsburgh ....