PDA

View Full Version : This really gets on my nerves

mad87man
05-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Does anyone else get pissed when they see something for auction then the next week it's on eBay? Nfl auctions has sold some things recently and within days it's back up on eBAy even using the nfl auctions photos. I think it really ruins it for collectors and even teams who may think twice about wanting to sell. What are your opinions?

helf35
05-31-2014, 12:57 PM
I was at the sox garage sale and picked up the 2012 chris sale Jackie Robinson jersey. They also had the dunn but decided not to buy it. The price was $300 on the dunn. I had an email when I got home offering me the Dunn jersey for $600.

Jim65
05-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Not everyone is a collector, some people buy to re-sell, doesn't bother me at all.

MercyMe78
05-31-2014, 01:58 PM
I get peeved.. especially if it was something I was bidding on. The one that annoyed me the most was a bat that went on ebay for $1,200 and they outbid me last minute and then relisted it one week later for $3K. It's been about 2 months on ebay.. i hope it never sells :)

Mattapan03
05-31-2014, 02:14 PM
What bothers me more is when Im outbid at the last minute on an item only to never see it surface again. Happened to me just last week

tom1315
05-31-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm with the 1st poster. I keep mostly what I buy. I'm at 70 +\- game used helmets ACC/SEC/NFL lids now. I'm ok with a buyer --flipper but to post as a recent a acquisition and seem pleased to have then next day on eBay? Seems odd to me.

Tom

yanks12025
05-31-2014, 03:51 PM
Alittle different from what you guys posted. But what got on my nerves the other day was I had a pair of cleats listed on eBay for $200 and someone offered $5.00 for them. Sadly they are also a forum member here! Serious $5 for something worth over $100 is a joke.

Hoosier39
05-31-2014, 04:27 PM
I was at the sox garage sale and picked up the 2012 chris sale Jackie Robinson jersey. They also had the dunn but decided not to buy it. The price was $300 on the dunn. I had an email when I got home offering me the Dunn jersey for $600.

You really can't be mad/upset about that when you had every chance to buy it yourself.

Bottom line for anyone, if you want it bad enough, pay up! Don't be bitter about the person that did.

helf35
05-31-2014, 07:09 PM
You really can't be mad/upset about that when you had every chance to buy it yourself.

Bottom line for anyone, if you want it bad enough, pay up! Don't be bitter about the person that did.

I didn't want it. If I did I would have bought it. I was just a little irritated that I was offered the jersey for double the price especially while the guy was still in line to buy it.

beaglegypsy003
06-01-2014, 02:11 AM
Last November, I bought a Cowboys jersey of a former University of Hawaii player on eBay. When I checked the completed listing of the seller I noticed he had sold a jersey of another UH player. I kept checking hoping that the buyer would sell it later. Sure enough it was on eBay a couple of months ago and I was able to buy it. So it works both ways and sometimes you get a second chance on an item.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Alittle different from what you guys posted. But what got on my nerves the other day was I had a pair of cleats listed on eBay for $200 and someone offered $5.00 for them. Sadly they are also a forum member here! Serious $5 for something worth over $100 is a joke.

That member was me. $200 for a pair of Jose Contreras cleats is a bit ridiculous. I had actually meant to offer $50, but figured you'd decline the mistake. Instead you wrote me that you were blocking me. It's fine, either way, as you clearly are asking twice what you think they're worth, and what you think they're worth ($100) is twice what I thought they were worth ($50).

Anyway, I don't mind the buy and flip thing so much as I mind all the other things that get through eBay's search filters:

"not game used"
"game un-used"
"game issued not used"
"game worn style"

And the like.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-01-2014, 02:31 AM
That member was me. $200 for a pair of Jose Contreras cleats is a bit ridiculous. I had actually meant to offer $50, but figured you'd decline the mistake. Instead you wrote me that you were blocking me. It's fine, either way, as you clearly are asking twice what you think they're worth, and what you think they're worth ($100) is twice what I thought they were worth ($50).

Anyway, sorry about the offer seeming lowball. I assume you still would have seen a $50 offer as lowball, but in my head it seemed fair. A generic cleat with "52" written on one of the swooshes didn't seem to have strong provenance. Either way, sorry for it coming out as $5. Good luck with selling your cleat.

helmets
06-01-2014, 07:46 PM
What bothers me more is when Im outbid at the last minute on an item only to never see it surface again. Happened to me just last week

If it happed just a week ago, how do you know it will never surface again.

I'm so confused...:confused:

Mattapan03
06-01-2014, 08:02 PM
If it happed just a week ago, how do you know it will never surface again.

I'm so confused...:confused:

Based on my experiences in the past, it won't

danesei@yahoo.com
06-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Based on my experiences in the past, it won't

Well, not never again. It will probably resurface in a decade or two when the winner has a life-changing event (marriage, death, childbirth, college).

atomic912s
06-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Does not bother me at all, most things I buy are to keep. Some things I will buy to flip "fund raise" and save the profit for something I really want... I get the business side of things... Since April I have won 40 plus NFL auctions, probably sold 10 things....

But if the item means that much to you sometimes you have to "pony up" and possibly over pay for the item.. I think we have all been there and "ponied" up the extra $$$, and I am sure we made the next guy break the bank at times too!!

beaglegypsy003
06-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Whenever I bid on something, the rule of thumb is to put in "an up to bid" of what I'm willing to pay and what I figure it is worth to me. That way if I do get outbid, I gave it my best shot. Sometimes getting outbid works out for me when something better comes along that I wouldn't be able to buy if I got the previous piece.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Whenever I bid on something, the rule of thumb is to put in "an up to bid" of what I'm willing to pay and what I figure it is worth to me. That way if I do get outbid, I gave it my best shot. Sometimes getting outbid works out for me when something better comes along that I wouldn't be able to buy if I got the previous piece.

Basically the above. This prevents me from overpaying/overbidding on an item where the provenance is not thoroughly apparent. It keeps me from convincing myself into paying more than what something should be worth to me. :)

PAC
06-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Doesn't bother me.

Who cares what they do with the item after they buy it? IT BELONGS TO THEM NOW. I got my money, that's all that matters. They can flip it on eBay, give it as a gift, put it in the closet, set it on fire, etc.

There have been a couple occasions when someone bought an item from me, then listed it on eBay the next day for 2X what they paid, but couldn't get rid of it and ended up selling it back to me a year or two later for less than what I sold it to them for!