PDA

View Full Version : How many alumni of your college are in MLB?

coxfan
05-27-2014, 08:21 AM
As of May 25, the South Carolina Gamecocks had six alumni currently playing on MLB teams: Bradley (Boston); Brian Roberts ( NYY); Steve Tolleson (Toronto); Steve Pearce ( Baltimore); Justin Smoak (Seattle); and Billy Buckner ( San Diego). Buckner was designated for assignment after one start, and Roberts is also an alum of North Carolina, before he transferred to South Carolina to finish his playing career.

What other colleges have multiple current alumni playing in mlb? I think I read that Vanderbilt has four.

Mets05
05-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Cal State Fullerton, currently 5...Khris Davis (MIL), Reed Johnson (MIA), Justin Turner (LAD), Kurt Suzuki (MIN) and Vinnie Pestano (CLE), although he is shuffling between CLE and AAA.

Have a couple of guys who may make their debut this season, Christian Colon and Gary Brown.

Road to Omaha starts Friday...If SC and Virginia advance, that will be one of the best Supers...Good luck to your Cocks.

xsentrixsupra
05-27-2014, 02:54 PM
University of Wisconsin Whitewater...........0 current and 2 former, haha.

Chess2899
05-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Ole Miss has 8, #2 behind LSU's 9. Drew Pomeranz is the most recent.
We have a tough Regional on the way to Omaha.

AWA85
05-27-2014, 08:53 PM
University of Wisconsin Whitewater...........0 current and 2 former, haha.

Congrats to you and UWW on winning the DIII baseball National Championship. They knocked out the college I work at in the regional championship.

jtnatalierica
05-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Just one now, Anthony Bass, Wayne State Univ,Detroit, Mich., pitching with Houston

Juan Gris
05-28-2014, 07:16 AM
The Ohio State University currently has 3 playing in MLB.
-Nick Swisher
-Cory Luebke
-J.B. Shuck

51 Buckeyes have played in at least 1 MLB game.

xsentrixsupra
05-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Congrats to you and UWW on winning the DIII baseball National Championship. They knocked out the college I work at in the regional championship.

Haha, thank you sir! I did my undergraduate there in 2001! Haven't been on that campus for awhile. I did see a few of the people who lived in my dorm at the time who were on the baseball team posting about it on FB. UWW is on quite the run this year in D3 sports

mook03005
05-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Paul Goldschmidt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Goldschmidt) University of Phoenix .

All kidding aside it took me 6 yrs with diff schools but I finally got my degree BSIT by finishing up with the University of Phoenix in Glendale Az.

xsentrixsupra
05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Paul Goldschmidt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Goldschmidt) University of Phoenix .

All kidding aside it took me 6 yrs with diff schools but I finally got my degree BSIT by finishing up with the University of Phoenix in Glendale Az.

Well if you want to talk about notable alumni and not just baseball, you have Shaq as well! :cool:

mook03005
05-29-2014, 01:48 PM
lol SHAQ I forgot about that I think he got his MBA, being in the military at the time, it was hard enough trying to go to a brick and mortar school regularly, but as corny as it was, attending an on-line UOP degree was pretty much my only choice. would have loved to go to a "real college" lol

xsentrixsupra
05-29-2014, 01:55 PM
lol SHAQ I forgot about that I think he got his MBA, being in the military at the time, it was hard enough trying to go to a brick and mortar school regularly, but as corny as it was, attending an on-line UOP degree was pretty much my only choice. would have loved to go to a "real college" lol

Larry Fitzgerald is also a University of Phoenix alumni, although he actually attended their campus in Phoenix........but still counts!

Not to get wildly off topic, but I've done both and my style of learning online is the way to go. It is so much more convenient than having to go to scheduled classes at a scheduled location..........if I want to do group lectures while in my boxers sitting on the couch, then damnit I will!

xsentrixsupra
05-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention, thank you for your service!

mook03005
05-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Josh
Hey thanks man. .