PDA

View Full Version : Another question for the bat experts!

kingjammy24
12-18-2006, 06:00 PM
if there's a number written on the knob, how much importance do you place on the actual penmanship? that is, if the writing seems to be unlike the player's handwriting do you automatically stay away?

who usually puts numbers on knobs? is it always the players?

let's say there was a player who typically wrote the number "7" with a line through the middle. would a bat with the number "7" that didn't have a line through the middle be suspect?

i guess i'm just wondering how much the knob penmanship should be analyzed.

thanks,

rudy.

whirl
12-18-2006, 09:32 PM
I am no expert, but I can speak for the policy of the Chicago Cubs. My family and I toured Wrigley this past fall. The Cubs were out of town, so we were able to go into the clubhouse. I had a chance to speak with the clubhouse manager. He told me that the clubhouse people put the number on each player's bat. I have been told by others that this is also done by the team personnel of several other teams. Rex

allstarsplus
12-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Knob penmanship would help in authentication---but I wouldn't knock a bat out necessarily for penmanship unless there is overwhelming evidence that suggests that only 1 person numbers the bat.

Certainly a lot of the numbering is done by designated clubhouse employees. Sometimes the player will do it himself.

On Soriano, I wouldn't buy a 2006 gamer without the #12 written like below as his BP bats even have it. That is just me.

On the other hand, I have seen Ryan Zimmerman's bats with #11 written 2 different ways, and feel comfortable with that. I prefer his #11 though like the black bat on the right.

http://members.aol.com/allstarsplus/soriano_nationals3.jpg

metsbats
12-18-2006, 10:29 PM
I agree. It can only help authentication if the number is written a certain way all the time. To me it would not be a deciding factor unless I know a player always marks the knob a certain way.

On the other hand you have to be cautious of the presence of a number on the knob even if it's the player number because some players are known to NOT write their numbers on the knobs of their bats. Players that come to mind are Dave Winfield, Ken Griffey Jr, Paul O'Neill.

David

metsbats
12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Here's a shot of some Gary Carter bats with the "8" written in several different ways.

The 3 top bats are from the 70's and are Expos bats while the bottom 4 are 85-86 Met bats. The middle two only have the same hand written 8 in my opinion.

David

TFig27
12-18-2006, 10:46 PM
this post seems like a good one to throw this question out there

does the numbering on a the handle of the bat, the end end of the bat, or both make any difference in how the player used the bat?
i see some players sometimes mark the end of the barrel and the handle, or just the handle, or even just the barrel

anyone have any stories of players patterns?

thanks
tom