PDA

View Full Version : Bill Buckner Game Used Cubs Hat

nevrdiez34
05-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Bill Buckner Game Used Cubs Early 80s Hat for sale. Cap shows great use with sweat stains all around the inner band. Size 7-3/8". The hat was originally sourced from AMI Auctions and Came with a LOA from the notorious Lou Lampson. The winner of that auction (whom I purchased the hat from) knowing Lampson's reputation, showed the hat to Bill Buckner himself at the Cubs Convention a few years back and asked him if the hat was indeed his hat, to which Buckner replied, "it sure is, that's the 22 I wrote in it". The seller then asked Bill to sign it "game used" and he said "I'll do better" and then inscribed "The real deal" under the bill in sharpie. I hate to part with this hat, but I'm looking to fund another purchase. Looking for $120 shipped. Email me at nevrdiez34@hotmail.com.

sox83cubs84
05-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Please email me. I have some information for you.

Dave Miedema
sox83cubs84@hotmail.com

gameon
05-19-2014, 10:09 PM
email sent

nevrdiez34
05-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Emails sent.

nevrdiez34
05-20-2014, 08:00 AM
The Buckner hat is sold pending Dave's additional information and payment.

Insomniac186
05-20-2014, 09:07 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that cap is definitley not worn by Bill Buckner. The interior tags are from the early 90s, around 1990 to 1992. Probably game worn, but not Buckner.

nevrdiez34
05-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Wow, clearly I didn't do my due diligence regarding tagging when I purchased the cap. I haven't heard back from Dave M., but I will look into the tagging and if I confirm Insomniac's findings the hat will not be sold.

Insomniac186
05-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Just check out the New Era Hat Tagging Primer in the "Educational Threads" section. You'll find all of your info there.

Tallyman77
07-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi.....this is wishful thinking but wouldn't it have been great if Buckner was educated on cap labeling. I know players aren't aware of what labeling looks like from year to year, but let's say he knew about labeling and that he knew it was from the early 1990's......would he have still said that he penned that # 22 or admitted outright that the cap wasn't his? Through the years his #22 has appeared on caps and bats and shoes and such and I have come to the conclusion that there is no definite set way of penning that #22, making it hard to know which is actually Buckner's, the equipment managers, etc.

I am so glad there are sources available to help out with label identification and one of the best ones can be found right here in GUU.

Thanks,

-Walt

Tallyman77

sox83cubs84
07-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Hi.....this is wishful thinking but wouldn't it have been great if Buckner was educated on cap labeling. I know players aren't aware of what labeling looks like from year to year, but let's say he knew about labeling and that he knew it was from the early 1990's......would he have still said that he penned that # 22 or admitted outright that the cap wasn't his? Through the years his #22 has appeared on caps and bats and shoes and such and I have come to the conclusion that there is no definite set way of penning that #22, making it hard to know which is actually Buckner's, the equipment managers, etc.

I am so glad there are sources available to help out with label identification and one of the best ones can be found right here in GUU.

Thanks,

-Walt

Tallyman77

FWIW, Buckner has erred on items before. A friend of mine in the 1980s had a Cubs Wilson road knit of Buckner, with absolutely no tagging other than the collar Wilson label. He told my friend it was game used.

Dave Miedema