PDA

View Full Version : How to record bat lengths?

metsbats
12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I 'm compiling charts for Mets player bats and using a tape measure to record the bat lengths. I'm seeing that bat lengths are coming up 33 7/8 or 34 3/8.

Should I round up to 34 or 34 1/2 in these cases or just record the lengths exactly.

Thanks
David

metsbats
12-19-2006, 08:55 PM
I 'm compiling charts for Mets player bats and using a tape measure to record the bat lengths. I'm seeing that bat lengths are coming up 33 7/8 or 34 3/8.

Should I round up to 34 or 34 1/2 in these cases or just record the lengths exactly.

Thanks
David

I have not gotten any bites on this question so I"m thinking i may want to rephrase it.

How accurate are the lengths recorded in HB records? Is a 34 " bat really exactly 34 inches or can come short at 33 7/8?

Are the record lenghts exact or just a range of lengths that a bat can be?

This may be a quality control issue?

THanks
David

JimCaravello
12-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi David - in response to your question, I believe at least an 1/8" is tolerable and sometimes even up to 1/4". In weighing and measuring bats over the years, I have seen many bats that have to be from the so called "35 inch order" ( everything else matches - weight - finish on the bat - player attributes ) that actually measure either 34 7/8" or 34 3/4". I believe that a 1/8" - 1/4" delta that is acceptable. Hope the helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. jim

33bird
12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
How about weight variation? Do bats tend to lose weight over the years? I know my Murphy bat with the Taube matched up in every way except in weight-it now weighs 30.1 ounces instead of 32 ounces. Is that common? Thanks.
greg

metsbats
12-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi David - in response to your question, I believe at least an 1/8" is tolerable and sometimes even up to 1/4". In weighing and measuring bats over the years, I have seen many bats that have to be from the so called "35 inch order" ( everything else matches - weight - finish on the bat - player attributes ) that actually measure either 34 7/8" or 34 3/4". I believe that a 1/8" - 1/4" delta that is acceptable. Hope the helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. This certain helps!

David

MSpecht
12-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi Greg

Here is a link to one of several good posts on "Bat Weights : plus/minus over the years..."

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1341&highlight=weight

Conservative authenticators will accept plus/minus 2 or 2 1/2 ounces while more liberal authenticators will accept plus/minus 4 ounces. Clearly the age of the bat has alot to do with it, as a bat from the 40's will have had more affect from storage conditions over a 60 year period than a bat from , say, 2002.

Good Luck.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com