PDA

View Full Version : Arenado GU Baseballs

xpress34
05-14-2014, 10:54 PM
What a week...

From Sunday May 4th - Sunday May 11th, the wife and I got some major baseball watching in...

We saw 7 games (in 8 days), with 6 different teams, in 3 different stadiums in 3 different leagues...

Mets @ Rox
Rangers @ Rox
Rangers @ Rox
Rox @ Rangers
Rox @ Rangers
BoSox @ Rangers
Hooks @ Roughriders

We saw one player's MLB Debut and 1st MLB hit (Roughned Odor - Tex), almost saw a Perfect Game (6.2 innings before PG lost) that almost became a No Hitter (8.2 innings before 1st hit) for Yu Darvish against Red Sox and we saw a Team Record (27 Game Hitting Streak) Tied (Nolan Arenado - Rockies) and then broken (28 Games) the next night, and finished with a game in a Stadium I had never visited - Frisco Roughriders (Rangers AA Team).

In that span, Michael Choice (Rangers) gave me a pair of batting gloves, Leonys Martin (Rangers) threw me a ball (both of those happened at Coors Field), then in Arlington, Tommy Runnels (Rox Bench Coach) threw me a ball, two days later, Johnny Herrera (Red Sox - former Rockie) threw me a ball and at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, TX, Patrick Cantwell (C - Roughriders) gave me a Texas League Ball.

Along with all of that, I was interviewed by Jim Knox of Fox Sports Southwest - TWICE - once in Coors Field and once in Arlington - because of my all-time Rangers AU jersey (6 year project to date) that has about 75-100 Rangers autos on it currently.

But the best part was being able to obtain a GU HIT Baseball from Arenado's team record tying game (Arenado's single - 1st hit that tied record was taken by the Rockies) as well as a GU PITCHED Baseball (last strike - swinging - from Arenado's last at bat) from record breaking game (he only had one hit - the Rox took that ball). Both were obtained from Fanatics - who now run the Rangers GU stuff. Thanks so much to these guys for making sure that I got what I was looking for... a much better group than the joker who was doing the Rangers GU stuff 2 years ago...

What a great week...

danesei@yahoo.com
05-15-2014, 12:01 AM
The PG was never going to be a NH, since MLB decided to overturn the official scorer, due to Papi whining that it should have been a hit for him. If you watch the play, the RF clearly has a beat on the ball and just stops. That's an error. Why make a rule that makes that an error if MLB will just change it to a hit whenever a player has a gripe?

Jim65
05-15-2014, 06:36 AM
The PG was never going to be a NH, since MLB decided to overturn the official scorer, due to Papi whining that it should have been a hit for him. If you watch the play, the RF clearly has a beat on the ball and just stops. That's an error. Why make a rule that makes that an error if MLB will just change it to a hit whenever a player has a gripe?

Plays like that happen every day and always ruled hits, unless the player touches the ball. Calling it an error to preserve a no-hitter is wrong. That was the worst case of hometown official scoring and I'm glad MLB overturned it.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
05-15-2014, 07:13 AM
If he would have gotten the no hitter there is no way they change that to a hit after the game. So yes it was almost a no hitter.

xpress34
05-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Plays like that happen every day and always ruled hits, unless the player touches the ball. Calling it an error to preserve a no-hitter is wrong. That was the worst case of hometown official scoring and I'm glad MLB overturned it.

Jim - For the record, here is the OFFICIAL RULES on scoring ERRORS per the MLB Rule Book taken directly off line (MLB Rules) (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp):

10.12 Errors
An error is a statistic charged against a fielder whose action has assisted the team on offense, as set forth in this Rule 10.12.
(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:
(1) whose misplay (fumble, muff or wild throw) prolongs the time at bat of a batter, prolongs the presence on the bases of a runner or permits a runner to advance one or more bases, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, such fielder deliberately permits a foul fly to fall safe with a runner on third base before two are out in order that the runner on third shall not score after the catch;
Rule 10.12(a)(1) Comment: Slow handling of the ball that does not involve mechanical misplay shall not be construed as an error. For example, the official scorer shall not charge a fielder with an error if such fielder fields a ground ball cleanly but does not throw to first base in time to retire the batter. It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error. If a ground ball goes through a fielder's legs or a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer's judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error. For example, the official scorer shall charge an infielder with an error when a ground ball passes to either side of such infielder if, in the official scorer’s judgment, a fielder at that position making ordinary effort would have fielded such ground ball and retired a runner. The official scorer shall charge an outfielder with an error if such outfielder allows a fly ball to drop to the ground if, in the official scorer’s judgment, an outfielder at that position making ordinary effort would have caught such fly ball. If a throw is low, wide or high, or strikes the ground, and a runner reaches base who otherwise would have been put out by such throw, the official scorer shall charge the player making the throw with an error.
The official scorer shall not score mental mistakes or misjudgments as errors unless a specific rule prescribes otherwise. A fielder’s mental mistake that leads to a physical misplay—such as throwing the ball into the stands or rolling the ball to the pitcher’s mound, mistakenly believing there to be three outs, and thereby allowing a runner or runners to advance—shall not be considered a mental mistake for purposes of this rule and the official scorer shall charge a fielder committing such a mistake with an error. The official scorer shall not charge an error if the pitcher fails to cover first base on a play, thereby allowing a batter-runner to reach first base safely. The official scorer shall not charge an error to a fielder who incorrectly throws to the wrong base on a play.
The official scorer shall charge an error to a fielder who causes another fielder to misplay a ball—for example, by knocking the ball out of the other fielder’s glove. On such a play, when the official scorer charges an error to the interfering fielder, the official scorer shall not charge an error to the fielder with whom the other fielder interfered.
(2) when such fielder muffs a foul fly to prolong the time at bat of a batter, whether the batter subsequently reaches first base or is put out;
(3) when such fielder catches a thrown ball or a ground ball in time to put out the batter-runner and fails to tag first base or the batter-runner;
(4) when such fielder catches a thrown ball or a ground ball in time to put out any runner on a force play and fails to tag the base or the runner;
(5) whose wild throw permits a runner to reach a base safely, when in the scorer's judgment a good throw would have put out the runner, unless such wild throw is made attempting to prevent a stolen base;
(6) whose wild throw in attempting to prevent a runner's advance permits that runner or any other runner to advance one or more bases beyond the base such runner would have reached had the throw not been wild;
(7) whose throw takes an unnatural bounce, touches a base or the pitcher's plate, or touches a runner, a fielder or an umpire, thereby permitting any runner to advance; or
Rule 10.12(a)(7) Comment: The official scorer shall apply this rule even when it appears to be an injustice to a fielder whose throw was accurate. For example, the official scorer shall charge an error to an outfielder whose accurate throw to second base hits the base and caroms back into the outfield, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance, because every base advanced by a runner must be accounted for.
(8) whose failure to stop, or try to stop, an accurately thrown ball permits a runner to advance, so long as there was occasion for the throw. If such throw was made to second base, the official scorer shall determine whether it was the duty of the second baseman or the shortstop to stop the ball and shall charge an error to the negligent fielder.
Rule 10.12(a)(8) Comment: If, in the official scorer's judgment, there was no occasion for the throw, the official scorer shall charge an error to the fielder who threw the ball.
(b) The official scorer shall charge only one error on any wild throw, regardless of the number of bases advanced by one or more runners.
(c) When an umpire awards the batter or any runner or runners one or more bases because of interference or obstruction, the official scorer shall charge the fielder who committed the interference or obstruction with one error, no matter how many bases the batter, or runner or runners, may advance.
Rule 10.12(c) Comment: The official scorer shall not charge an error if obstruction does not change the play, in the opinion of the scorer.
(d) The official scorer shall not charge an error against:
(1) the catcher when the catcher, after receiving the pitch, makes a wild throw attempting to prevent a stolen base, unless the wild throw permits the stealing runner to advance one or more extra bases or permits any other runner to advance one or more bases;
(2) any fielder who makes a wild throw if in the scorer's judgment the runner would not have been put out with ordinary effort by a good throw, unless such wild throw permits any runner to advance beyond the base he would have reached had the throw not been wild;
(3) any fielder who makes a wild throw in attempting to complete a double play or triple play, unless such wild throw enables any runner to advance beyond the base such runner would have reached had the throw not been wild;
Rule 10.12(d) Comment: When a fielder muffs a thrown ball that, if held, would have completed a double play or triple play, the official scorer shall charge an error to the fielder who drops the ball and credit an assist to the fielder who made the throw.
(4) any fielder when, after fumbling a ground ball or dropping a batted ball that is in flight or a thrown ball, the fielder recovers the ball in time to force out a runner at any base; or
(5) any fielder when a wild pitch or passed ball is scored.
(e) The official scorer shall not charge an error when the batter is awarded first base on four called balls, when the batter is awarded first base when touched by a pitched ball, or when the batter reaches first base as the result of a wild pitch or passed ball.
Rule 10.12(e) Comment: See Rule 10.13 for additional scoring rules relating to wild pitches and passed balls.
(f) The official scorer shall not charge an error when a runner or runners advance as the result of a passed ball, a wild pitch or a balk.
(1) When the fourth called ball is a wild pitch or a passed ball and as a result
(i) the batter-runner advances to a base beyond first base;
(ii) any runner forced to advance by the base on balls advances more than one base; or
(iii) any runner, not forced to advance, advances one or more bases, the official scorer shall score the base on balls and also the wild pitch or passed ball, as the case may be.
(2) When the catcher recovers the ball after a wild pitch or passed ball on the third strike, and throws out the batter-runner at first base, or tags out the batter-runner, but another runner or runners advance, the official scorer shall score the strikeout, the putout and assists, if any, and credit the advance of the other runner or runners on the play as a fielder’s choice.
Rule 10.12(f) Comment: See Rule 10.13 for additional scoring rules relating to wild pitches and passed balls.

Rios and Odor were within 2 feet of each other (arm's length) and EITHER player could have 'handled the ball with ordinary effort'. It should have stood as an error and MLB's overruling of the Official Scorer has now started a conversation that may have MLB looking at the Scoring Rules.

Not sure how you can call it a case of 'Hometown Official Scoring'. The current decision to overturn it sounds more like Big Papi crying and the Red Sox (like the Yankeees, Dodgers and a handful of other 'marquee' players and clubs) getting their way - with NO explanation as to why it was overturned.

As far as your statement of 'unless a player touches the ball', maybe you need to know how the rule actually reads.

Just my .02

Jim65
05-16-2014, 06:43 AM
I understand what the rulebook says, when was the last time you saw a ball drop untouched in the outfield that was ruled an error?

lengthwise1
05-16-2014, 10:25 AM
I understand what the rulebook says, when was the last time you saw a ball drop untouched in the outfield that was ruled an error?

Pretty sure I saw the Philles commit one vs the Rockies about 3 weeks ago....

lengthwise1
05-16-2014, 10:26 AM
sounds like a blast Smitty!

johnsontravis@ymail.com
05-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Umm actually it happens quite more than you think. I agree that a lot of times outfielders or plays in the outfield are called hits even though you could probably fault the player...still there are errors every once in awhile.

As far as that play I don't think it gets more obvious that is an error. He could have easily caught that ball. He paused at the end and then lunged. Also who is the right fielder here? That was his ball and I am still trying to figure out why he didn't call off Odor. The RF should have gotten that with ease. I think you could hand out a lot of errors on this play.

Also nice error on MLB for changing this call regardless. Why are we changing meaningless hits days later? I have seen way worse calls than this. The Brewers challenged a play and after 4 minutes the umpires still managed to get it wrong...I don't see a big deal about that.

xpress34
05-16-2014, 11:04 AM

I see plenty that aren't ruled errors when the guy would have had to dive or give 'extraordinary' effort to get there...

I'm trying to figure out your argument that is was 'Hometown Official Scoring' when the scorer simply went by what the rules state.

Rios could have easily made the play (ordinary effort) but left it for Odor who duffed (erred) what should have been an easy play. My only question was why they scored the error to Rios and not Odor.

As Lengthwise said, I've seen many misplayed balls here at Coors Field that are routinely called errors - as they should be. That is the correct call per the rules.

Big Papi's just a cry baby looking to pad his stats wherever he can. He said punishment should be stiffer for Steroids Users when they test Positive, but when it was discovered he tested Positive in 2003, he started looking for the 'unknown' way that it got in his system.

I'm sorry, but at that level, you better damn well know anything and everything you're ingesting... he claims it could have been from 'power drinks' in the Dominican because of their 'loose laws'... then why would you drink it?

I know players who won't drink ANY Power/Energy Drinks for fear of some type of Positive Test.

But I digress - this thread is about my baseball week and it's already gone off the rails over scoring. No need to send it full speed over the edge.

Jim65
05-16-2014, 12:16 PM
I see plenty that aren't ruled errors when the guy would have had to dive or give 'extraordinary' effort to get there...

I'm trying to figure out your argument that is was 'Hometown Official Scoring' when the scorer simply went by what the rules state.

Rios could have easily made the play (ordinary effort) but left it for Odor who duffed (erred) what should have been an easy play. My only question was why they scored the error to Rios and not Odor.

As Lengthwise said, I've seen many misplayed balls here at Coors Field that are routinely called errors - as they should be. That is the correct call per the rules.

Big Papi's just a cry baby looking to pad his stats wherever he can. He said punishment should be stiffer for Steroids Users when they test Positive, but when it was discovered he tested Positive in 2003, he started looking for the 'unknown' way that it got in his system.

I'm sorry, but at that level, you better damn well know anything and everything you're ingesting... he claims it could have been from 'power drinks' in the Dominican because of their 'loose laws'... then why would you drink it?

I know players who won't drink ANY Power/Energy Drinks for fear of some type of Positive Test.

Is this about getting the call right or hatred of big market teams and "marquee" players? I am no fan of Big Papi, hes a cheater and Ithink it ridiculous that he is treated differently than others who got caught, but its irrelevant to this discussion.

I have no problems with a rule being enforced but when it is enforced to ensure that a no-hitter gets extended, its just wrong and IMO, thats exactly what happened here.