PDA

View Full Version : Murray Bat Warning

sprint23
05-13-2014, 08:19 AM
I recently purchased this Eddie Murray bat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331166132804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It was purchased from Mike Schultz and was immediately sent to John Taube who could not authenticate it due to still sticky tape and sticky tar on a 30-year old bat. By opening a resolution case I was able to get my money refunded. If anyone sees this bat pop up again please beware.

Hoosier39
05-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Good ol Mike Schultz. The master at doctoring items. His Kaline bat was bad too, which was evident when it was sold and relisted again.

You can tell the Murray is bad by the tar pattern underneath the tape rings.

sprint23
05-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately, I was unaware of his reputation at the time. Luckily Paypal supported me.

allstarsplus
05-13-2014, 08:55 AM
I recently purchased this Eddie Murray bat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331166132804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It was purchased from Mike Schultz and was immediately sent to John Taube who could not authenticate it due to still sticky tape and sticky tar on a 30-year old bat. By opening a resolution case I was able to get my money refunded. If anyone sees this bat pop up again please beware.

Always save photos as the eBay link will not be operable down the road when someone wants to access it.

metsbats
05-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Would it be worth while to create a thread to store these bad items. (With no names associated with items)

Chris what do you think?

If not as Andrew suggested keep track ourselves

David

Phil316
05-13-2014, 11:17 AM
I would have left negative feedback stating the facts that John Taube presented. That way it will let buyers know about this guy.

bat_master
05-13-2014, 11:22 AM
As long as there is a clear consensus as to the status of an item I think it would be beneficial to the collecting community to have these items set aside in one location.

In my opinion, forged use on bats is pretty easy to pick out, but it isn't so easy when it comes to jerseys.

Hoosier39
05-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Would it be worth while to create a thread to store these bad items. (With no names associated with items)

Chris what do you think?

David

I think it would, but I would be all up for displaying the persons name and eBay name(if applicable) so that people steer clear of doing business with these people in the future.

sprint23
05-13-2014, 11:56 AM
I would have left negative feedback stating the facts that John Taube presented. That way it will let buyers know about this guy.

I left negative feedback and it was removed by eBay. When I called to ask why I was told that even though my feedback was appropriate and did not violate their policies, their system sometimes "randomly removes feedback in an increasing effort to try new things". Whatever that means.

gorilla777
05-13-2014, 12:16 PM
The eBay seller of the Murray bat, Mike Schultz, was the seller of the infamous Brett bat discussed here:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=60344

Here was the original eBay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEORGE-BRETT-KANSAS-CITY-ROYALS-GAME-USED-AUTOGRAPHED-1983-85-T85-GAME-USED-BAT-/331192596178?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=aD3krQO67hPbPx4xhJywzpNJhHE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This bat should be added to the list you are proposing.

Ben

gorilla777
05-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Also, his user ID on eBay will just always change to keep selling. At one time he was going by "prettyasiangirl", LOL

Wrigley2010
05-14-2014, 12:36 AM

Chris what do you think?

David

I think this is a great idea and one that would serve the game used community well. I also agree that posting names whether it be an eBay username or an actual name should be prohibited as some of these sellers genuinely have no idea there item is not what they think it is.

ousooner_85
05-14-2014, 09:34 AM
I agree with the need of a thread like the one mentioned. I'm on the fence about listing the individuals information, although, in the case of Mike Schultz and repeated fraudulent sellers.....I think there is a place and need for the information.

Hoosier39
05-14-2014, 09:38 AM
I agree with the need of a thread like the one mentioned. I'm on the fence about listing the individuals information, although, in the case of Mike Schultz and repeated fraudulent sellers.....I think there is a place and need for the information.

Agree on that. Some people flat out just have zero idea they are selling a bad item and shouldn't be penalized for that.

But I can name about 4 people that continue to doctor bats, and I believe those are the ones who's names should be brought up.

mr.miracle
10-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Forum members this does not concern the specific Murray bat that was mentioned as the initial topic of this thread. However I wanted to make everyone aware that Mike Schultz is and has been browsing through the forum wanted ads and contacting members trying to sell them bats based on those wanted ads. I know the original poster of this Murray bat thread I also was just contacted tonight about a Ripken bat that at first blush looks okay however I was told by the forum member who contacted me that the seller is Mike Schultz and did I know anything about him. I told him to read up on him here. Needless to say this member may have been spared a great deal of grief going forward.

Several years ago I purchased what was reported to be a game used Ripken bat from a seller and upon arrival I immediately noticed it had a tacky pine tar substance on it. I knew something was wrong as the bat was 25 years old.

I contacted John Taube and upon inspection he noted that he was not sure what the substance was but it was not tar and gave the bat a failing grade. The bat otherwise was solid enough to fool virtually anyone. After some time tracking this bat I uncovered it was sourced at some point through Mike Schultz.

I have seen this guy come up with some horrible fakes and some that are not too far off especially for a novice.

Please be aware if you are contacted by Mike Schultz who is using the current email address basketballbones@juno.com from what I was told that you should be extremely wary of whatever this guy is offering to you. He has burned friends and fellow forum members on more than one occasion. If you have no experience dealing with him he repeatedly changes his ebay user name. Do a quick forum search on him and you will uncover multiple forum threads.

Do some homework and if you are unsure about anything please ask fellow forum members for help. I would hate to see anybody get burned by this guy which has happened in the past.

Thanks

Brett

TwinLakesPark
10-30-2014, 11:34 AM
This thread is another great example of why WIKI threading should be enabled on this platform. Would the current admin consider it?