PDA

View Full Version : Can you shine some light on this jersey?

RootHouston
05-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Hello all, I'm a new member here, and relatively new to the collecting hobby.

The other day, I purchased this 2013 Dallas Keuchel Jersey from Astros Authentics at Minute Maid Park’s Home Plate Team Store. For those of you unfamiliar with this player, he is a current starting pitcher for the team.

http://s28.postimg.org/9vmc4gjv1/Front.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/uw0cwiq2x/Back.jpg

http://s7.postimg.org/pg0qq10or/codes.jpg

When I got home, I checked out the MLB Authentication Databse, and saw some puzzling info.

http://s27.postimg.org/b9so7ql4z/authentication.jpg

It listed this jersey as “Game Used” from a September 29, 2013 home game against the New York Yankees. Houston did in fact play the Yankees on this date.

However, the rest is just unusual:

It specifically claims that this jersey was issued to Keuchel as a batter, not a pitcher
According to Baseball Reference, Keuchel only had two at bats last season, and they were both against the NL Chicago Cubs
Keuchel appears to have had no involvement as a batter OR pitcher during the September 29, 2013 game, or even that series against the Yankees altogether
The size is a 46, and from what I understand Keuchel usually wears a 48
The jersey was definitely worn by someone, as it does a foul body odor smell in the underarm region

So what do you make of this? Why does the authentication not appear to match the facts?

danesei@yahoo.com
05-05-2014, 10:33 PM
I would guess it was issued for the game and Keuchel was in the dugout as a possible pinch-runner, as opposed to in the bullpen. I have no idea, though.

onlyalbert
05-05-2014, 11:06 PM
instead of Batter they probably meant Player...........the rest would be correct then?

RootHouston
05-05-2014, 11:10 PM
instead of Batter they probably meant Player...........the rest would be correct then?

Nope, didn't play either. Even if he was just a bench player, wouldn't this be marked as "game issued" instead?

danesei@yahoo.com
05-06-2014, 03:08 AM
Nope, didn't play either. Even if he was just a bench player, wouldn't this be marked as "game issued" instead?

Nope. MLB Authentication views game worn as the same as game used.

RootHouston
05-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Nope. MLB Authentication views game worn as the same as game used.

Then, why does it say "Team Issued", and not "Game Used" for this 2012 Phillies jersey? Are you saying, they use the two identifiers interchangeably?

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2hwfmd.jpg

08Cubs
05-06-2014, 10:18 AM
It's complicated (and there was a longer topic on this recently), but the key point is that what is listed in the database is in theory the low bar and not the high bar for if the jersey was used. It only reflects what an authenticator saw, not necessarily the entire history of a jersey. A jersey could show as team issued in the database but have been used in one or several games beforehand without being authenticated.

In theory, if the entry says game used an authenticator saw or verified the person had it on during the game in the entry (whether they entered the game or not). But that doesn't necessarily answer the discrepancies on your jersey, which are odd. If he was on the active roster or DL on that date, I'd guess most likely it was worn on the bench.

BamaHater
05-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Many teams use jerseys all season an authenticate the jerseys after the season is over. In this case a jersey would be labeled as team issued. The jersey could be pounded but since he is authenticating it say a month after the season there is no proof that jersey saw use in a game even if it did. For all they know it could be damage from storage, not use.

BamaHater
05-06-2014, 02:01 PM
As for the discrepancies on the Keuchel jersey, I'd get in touch with Mike Acosta with Astros Authentics. Maybe he can shed light on the jersey. I have a feeling it is just a mess up with the authenticator when it was put in the system. As for the size difference maybe he wore different sizes during the season. Players have been know to switch it up to maybe try and find the size they feel fits the best.
Looking at the tagging it is a 3rd set jersey. That is all I got though.

danesei@yahoo.com
05-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Then, why does it say "Team Issued", and not "Game Used" for this 2012 Phillies jersey? Are you saying, they use the two identifiers interchangeably?

No. Essentially here are some definitions that might help clear things up:

MLB Authentication definitions:

Game used: Someone from MLB saw the player wearing the jersey during the game on the date. I'm not positive, but I assume that the representative would gather the jerseys from the players in the locker room after the game. A player doesn't need to have stepped foot on the field, as long as they were on the active roster and in the dugout at some point in the game.

Team issued: Someone from the team gave the jersey to the MLB representative. The representative wasn't present at the time of the game and/or whatever would be the minimum requirement to get the Game used moniker. A player may have worn the item in the past, but without it being witnessed by MLB, the authentication will only state team issued.

Common definitions used by collectors:

Game used: Player played in the jersey.
Game worn: Player may have been on the bench.
Game issued: Team purchased the jersey for the player.

eBay definitions (tongue-in-cheek):

Game used: It has the "proper tagging."
Game issued: It says "Authentic" on it.
Game model: Replica.

frikativ54
05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I've looked through the Astros' database, and some of the Mariano Rivera final-series gamers were authenticated in this manner.

Since your jersey is a Set 3, and it doesn't look to show much use, I'm wondering if these shirts were just produced for the final game(s).

The two Houston 2013 jerseys I own show a lot more in the way of puckering and loose threads. But I agree, the authentication is peculiar, compared with that of my jerseys (both certified game used road greys).

I do agree that Mike Acosta would be able to shed more light on the Keuchel jersey. Good luck with your search.

RootHouston
05-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all of your help guys. I will most likely contact Acosta for specifics on this one.