PDA

View Full Version : Braves' store and authentication

coxfan
05-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I visited the Braves' stadium game-used store on 5-2. It looked good, with Game-used balls as cheap as $25. Some Hank Aaron Day items were there: I think the Game-used balls from that day were $244; the downstairs store had replicas of the Aaron Day balls for $44, if I recall these prices correctly) There were some autographs from Aaron and others.

A nice new feature was a rack of authenticated hit balls, from singles to triples, priced in the $50-75 range. I think they were all from the 2013 season. I bought a ball authenticated as having been hit for singles by both Minor and Heyward in the 8-11-13 win over the Marlins. That's consistent with MLB.com's play-by-play, which shows Heyward's single coming right after Minor's, with two called balls intervening. It was neat to have a ball authenticated for two hits. Those singles set up a 3-run HR by Freeman that gave the Braves the lead.

I researched the hologram sequence, and found ten balls from that game. The first three were fouls or pitches in the dirt, probably to give the store a supply of in-game balls to sell during the game. Six of the next seven were base hits; clearly, the authenticator was focusing only on hits after getting that initial supply.

An interesting note: A broken bat was authenticated as being broken in that game, and also being autographed in February 2014. I assume the original hologram from the game was on the bat during the autograph session, so the database was updated to include the subsequent autograph.

All of which shows how authentication procedures vary from place to place and time, in response to market and other needs.

BamaHater
05-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Nice to see that the Braves take their Game Used to another level and authenticate not just balls from a game and take the time to designate things like hit, single etc. This is the same things the Astros do. They authenticate balls from each game and designate hits, singles, foul tip and if it is a milestone game or star player they authentic even more. Sad some teams don't do this and just authenticate game used ball from XX XX date.

tbone90
05-08-2014, 10:29 AM
It's nice to see some teams doing it right.

You didn't happen to notice if there were any game used bases with the Hank Aaron anniversary logo on them for sale in the Braves store did you?

lakeerie92
05-08-2014, 02:28 PM
The Braves do have some game used baseballs from the Hank Aaron anniversary game. Like he said they are $244. Some of the logos got really beaten hard during the game so they might not look perfect. I picked one up myself.

On another note we have been working with our authenticators in San Diego and I have to say that our head authenticator is the best in MLB. There are always going to be errors in the authentications or slight misses by all authenticators from time to time. His attention to detail is unmatched. Here is an example where he tracked a ball through multiple at bats with pitch speed and type. I keep wanting to buy baseballs just from the authentication. I will definitely pick up some of our Mother's Day baseballs because he will be working that game.

HZ 171159

coxfan
05-09-2014, 07:22 AM
I don't recall seeing any Aaron Day bases, but my 65-year-old memory isn't perfect. ( They say the memory's the first to go!) They did have bases from the 2013 NLDS and an opening day ( I'm unsure which year.) I'd suggest e-mailing Lisa.williams@braves.com as she's good about checking the full inventory. (Somebody correct me if that e-mail's changed.)

The Braves' clear labeling and easily-read rack of hit balls is an improvement over the Rangers' In-stadium store. The Rangers have the balls behind the counter where their dates are hard to read, and they usually don't give the specifics of the ball on the box, so you have to look up the hologram yourself. If it's off-season and they're not busy, the staff are usually helpful in looking up the hologram for you. But on game nights they're far too busy to give much help.

The Braves give the type hit, the player, and the hologram number in a way the customer can readily see without a hassle.

tbone90
05-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks Coxfan! I'll be sure and drop her an email.

tbone90
05-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Coxfan, I just wanted to say thank you again for your help.

I contacted Lisa at the Braves and she was very polite and responsive. She checked for me and luckily they did have a game used Hank Aaron anniversary logo base. She provided me with great details and the base has already been shipped and is on it's way.

So in short order I was able to aquire a Wrigley Field 100th anniversary game used logo base and a Hank Aaron 40th anniversary game used logo base all thanks to great members here on GUU!

coxfan
05-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Congratulations, Tbone90! Those items would be hard to get in the future, so you got them while they're more readily available.

I understand the Braves also commissioned a numbered series of collectible Aaron anniversary bats, numbered to 44. (Not game-used). I think those are $150 unsigned, but Aaron autographed some of them, and those go for $755 (If I recall prices correctly).

Thanks to the other GUU members who alerted me to Lisa months ago. She's as good a customer-service rep as any MLB club has.

Chipperdr
05-15-2014, 12:09 PM
I have emailed and tried calling lisa a few times with no response at all. Hard for me to go to the team store since I live in ca.

coxfan
05-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Have you used the address lisa.williams@braves.com ? I think the address changed a while back.

Chipperdr
05-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Coxfan- That is the email i have for her. Guess I will keep on trying.