PDA

View Full Version : Mears Dennis Johnson

net0@thehalf
05-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Has anyone seen a "3" font like this before on a Celtics jersey? The Dennis Johnson "3" font looks different than any pic I could find.

teddy406
05-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Just my opinion as a long time Celtic collector, that Bird "rookie" jersey is very questionable too. All the late 70s Celtic jerseys that I've had and seen have tagging like the Don Chaney 1979 jersey in the Mears auction right now too. The Pete Maravich Celtic gamers have tagging like the Chaney too. Another question on the Bird is the size 42. I know that in college he wore size 42s or 44s but this is the only 42 I've only seen on a Bird. I know a collector that had an 80s Bird jersey rejected by Mears, because it was size 44. I believe the one Medalist tag on the Bird "rookie" jersey is usually seen on 80s gamers. To say it's the most important Bird jersey in the hobby is just a huge stretch, when you have some serious questions about it. It's already up to 12k without the hammer. Here's the Chaney and Maravich tagging from the same era. What do you guys think?

teddy406
05-03-2014, 07:47 PM
The Bird "rookie" jersey link. Chaney jersey same era.
https://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=76810&searchby=3&searchvalue=bird&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1&seo=1979-80-True-Rookie-Larry-Bird-Boston-Celtics-Game-Worn-Home-Jersey-(MEARS-A10)-%22Most-Important-Bird

teddy406
05-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Here's a photo, I believe, that is from Bird's second season in the pros after they just won a championship. If you look at the bottom of the picture you can see the tagging. You can see the wash code tag and one other tag. Looks just like the Chaney and Maravich tagging. I wish we could what size it is, because I'd bet good money it's not a size 42. I mean, I guess it's possible, that it might be a rookie gamer, but with these questions about it, etc. I know I wouldn't bid on it. It's up to 13k.

net0@thehalf
05-03-2014, 08:40 PM
The stitching of the 3 is quite profoundly different too.. this pic of stitching is from a rookie yr Bird but other players have the same wider V stitching. The stitching on the Mears Bird has a tighter shorter "v" stitching.

net0@thehalf
05-03-2014, 08:50 PM
note the difference in wider and taller "V" stitching of actual rookie game photo vs. Mears Bird rook with tighter shorter "v" stitching

net0@thehalf
05-03-2014, 09:00 PM
here is a pic of another player from same year with same type of stitching. In addition Bird sweats like a pig... for that era of shirt, IMO, light use would not be indicative of a Bird shirt of any year.

teddy406
05-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Good points on the Bird jersey that I didn't even notice. I've read that until about 1987 the Celtics were getting two homes and two aways for the season. I'm sure his rookie year that was the case. Those 4 jerseys should all have great, great use. The tagging on the Mears Bird looks new. Compare to the Don Chaney jersey, who barely played his last season, and the chaney tagging is falling apart. Too many strikes makes an out of this one!
Kobe

hbrgrate
05-03-2014, 10:22 PM
font of the three on the Dennis Johnson is wrong it is not supposed to be octagonal rather a square also why is the tiny Archibald have just one tag that seems suspicious I wouldn't by any of these

hbrgrate
05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
how can this be the finest Larry Bird rookie example when it is not even a rookie? Font of bird on the back does not match fonts on bird rooks, and the tagging seems more 84-84ish.

A predominant power collector told me Celtics expert Capola isn't too keen on these

teddy406
05-03-2014, 10:40 PM
I think this is another case of Mears authenticating items and then putting them into their own auctions as A10s. I know lots of collectors, including me, have issues with this practice of theirs.

net0@thehalf
05-04-2014, 12:17 AM
how can this be the finest Larry Bird rookie example when it is not even a rookie? Font of bird on the back does not match fonts on bird rooks, and the tagging seems more 84-84ish.

A predominant power collector told me Celtics expert Capola isn't too keen on these
what is a power collector?