PDA

View Full Version : eBay buyers asking questions.

yanks12025
04-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Has anyone else had eBay members message you selling a item asking stupid questions or make stupid comments or try telling what price you should be selling your item at.

I listed a game used ball on eBay and I've had two people so far telling me my price is way to high(listed it as a make a offer). Then one guy is saying it could be a batting practice ball even though the mlb hologram states game used ball. And the other guy was saying I'm trying to rip people off with my over price(yet all his items in his store are overpriced).

Just don't understand why people waste others time with these types of questions or telling you what you should be selling a item for.

genius
04-27-2014, 12:39 PM
It's because they want it but they don't want to pay your price.

xsentrixsupra
04-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Yeah people on eBay and craigslist can be pretty worthless. I always get a lot of emails asking if I'd accept some really low ball offer.

If you hold out, you'll usually get a fair offer, but it does suck dealing with some people.

Phil316
04-27-2014, 02:40 PM
In my selling experiences on ebay when i get a dumb question or comment I quickly add those people to the blocked bidder/buyer list. To go one step further there is an option to block people from contacting you that you have added to the blocked bidder/buyer list as well.

dangerzone79
04-27-2014, 07:42 PM
It's because they want it but they don't want to pay your price.

That is exactly what they're doing. No question. If they don't wanna pay your price, they can walk away. Breaking news... people are weird. Haha.

helf35
04-27-2014, 07:50 PM
I have a guy now who wants to trade with me. He keeps trying to trade me his Sammy Sosa signed rawlings bat for my mike trout. Then every time I say no thanks he tries dropping baseball cards on me.

packfan84
04-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Glad I'm not the only one this is happening to. I had a signed ball up for sale for $55. Got an offer of $5. I countered with $45 and got another counter back for $7.50. Ridiculous.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-28-2014, 08:08 PM
I had someone message me on eBay offer me 40-45% below what I had an item listed for (auction format). I told him no, so he sent me his number and upped his offer a little. After Google searching the number, I found he's a GUU member. Anyway, I emailed the address he posts with here, explaining that I couldn't go lower than $550+$15 shipping, which was $100 off what I had the item up for on eBay. He texts me that he has to think about it and is going to bed.

The next day (today), he messages that he'll take it, so I send him an invoice on Paypal for the item. He texts me that he'll pay for the item in an hour, since he's at work. Two hours later, he messages me asking if I have other game used items for sale. I say not really. I then tell him that if he should pay the invoice within the hour so I can get the item shipped out. He responds that he doesn't want it, because it's too much and says to lower the price. I consider what his offers were, and how he mentioned a similar (but with less actual provenance) item sold for $575. He also mentioned that he liked a certain player. I happened to have a PSA authenticated signed minor league card of that player. Same card has sold on eBay for $199.99 BIN and $299.99 Best offer accepted, recently. (Two cards that were verified as sold.) So, I told him I'd do $700 shipped for the item and card, thinking it's better to salvage a deal and give him a good deal on the card (about 25% off the low end sales on eBay). He says okay, meaning he'll think about it. He gets back to me 20 min before my local post will close and says $625 out the door, I'll pay now. So, in essence, he wants the item for his original offer price and the card for half of what it sells for on eBay.

I told him the card was off the table, since I was doing that as a way of salvaging a deal. I also stated that I was insulted that he'd think I'd be stupid enough to accept his low-ball offer on the item and half of what the card sells for on eBay (not asking price, but recorded sales). He responded that I shouldn't be so emotional and business is business.

Personally, I don't think of it as business, since this is a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. That's why I thought it was better to make an offer than burn a bridge. I don't understand why someone would tell me to invoice them, and then just decide not to pay the invoice without even telling me why. It's simply rude, and it made me very disappointed that it was a GUU member who did it.

Phil316
04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Interesting post Dane.

mbenga28
04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Most times, I'm just trying to recoup what I originally paid for. Someone once said to me that I am trying to dictate the market. I wish I had that power.

ivo610
04-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Most times, I'm just trying to recoup what I originally paid for. Someone once said to me that I am trying to dictate the market. I wish I had that power.

Sometimes that can be as bad as ridiculous offers. Ebay right now is littered with unrealistic prices because people over paid in the first place and want to get their money back. Their is a cost associated with being the 1st one to own an item sometimes, as the value goes down. Someone buys a jersey when a player is hot, the player free falls and the buyer tries to sell it for what he has in it. Matt Schaub jersey on ebay is a perfect example of that.

sportsnbikes
04-29-2014, 01:35 PM
I had a buyer send me an offer for an item. I countered they countered back. They accepted. 5 days later no payment. I sent a message and they said they would pay later after they got paid. About an hour later they messaged me saying they couldn't afford the price they agreed to pay and offered me 15 bucks less. This was AFTER a sale was in place. The buyers statement was, I understand if you can't do it for that price. I filed a non-paying bidder alert (meaning nothing but a virtual scolding).

What a waste of time.

helf35
04-29-2014, 01:41 PM
The worst is when i get this message. "Whats your Bottom Dollar" Really? Not really how a negotiation works but i usually reply with if you want the item send me an offer then I usually get no reply or offer.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
The worst is when i get this message. "Whats your Bottom Dollar" Really? Not really how a negotiation works but i usually reply with if you want the item send me an offer then I usually get no reply or offer.

I actually get the above A LOT. Same response. They never write back. Or, they write back saying my price is really high. The specific item in question a lot of vintage toys. The funniest, by far, however, was someone offering me $10, when one item in the lot was worth $400.

mrozie21
04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
I actually get the above A LOT. Same response. They never write back. Or, they write back saying my price is really high. The specific item in question a lot of vintage toys. The funniest, by far, however, was someone offering me $10, when one item in the lot was worth $400.

I get the low offers quite a bit and actually have turned down the following offers: $350 for an item listed at $2999 and $125 for a $1500 item.

akrover
04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
In my selling experiences on ebay when i get a dumb question or comment I quickly add those people to the blocked bidder/buyer list. To go one step further there is an option to block people from contacting you that you have added to the blocked bidder/buyer list as well.

Yup. Awhile ago I had an old rare authentic jersey listed w/o the b/o option. A guy messaged me with an offer that I probably would have accepted, but he started off by saying my price was ridiculous & I should be ashamed for asking so much. The email pissed me off enough so I kindly responded 'no thanks,' and blocked him from bidding, but not contacting (didn't know you could). He then emails me back all pissed because he's blocked. So, obviously he tried to buy it at full price. So, to repeat: had he not been such a jerk I would have accepted his original lower offer, but he also lost the right to buy at full price. I just don't understand someone thinking that attacking a seller would make them more apt to agree to your terms. Anyway, someone else paid full price a week later.

kudu
04-29-2014, 11:00 PM
I had someone message me on eBay offer me 40-45% below what I had an item listed for (auction format). I told him no, so he sent me his number and upped his offer a little. After Google searching the number, I found he's a GUU member. Anyway, I emailed the address he posts with here, explaining that I couldn't go lower than $550+$15 shipping, which was $100 off what I had the item up for on eBay. He texts me that he has to think about it and is going to bed.

The next day (today), he messages that he'll take it, so I send him an invoice on Paypal for the item. He texts me that he'll pay for the item in an hour, since he's at work. Two hours later, he messages me asking if I have other game used items for sale. I say not really. I then tell him that if he should pay the invoice within the hour so I can get the item shipped out. He responds that he doesn't want it, because it's too much and says to lower the price. I consider what his offers were, and how he mentioned a similar (but with less actual provenance) item sold for $575. He also mentioned that he liked a certain player. I happened to have a PSA authenticated signed minor league card of that player. Same card has sold on eBay for $199.99 BIN and $299.99 Best offer accepted, recently. (Two cards that were verified as sold.) So, I told him I'd do $700 shipped for the item and card, thinking it's better to salvage a deal and give him a good deal on the card (about 25% off the low end sales on eBay). He says okay, meaning he'll think about it. He gets back to me 20 min before my local post will close and says $625 out the door, I'll pay now. So, in essence, he wants the item for his original offer price and the card for half of what it sells for on eBay.

I told him the card was off the table, since I was doing that as a way of salvaging a deal. I also stated that I was insulted that he'd think I'd be stupid enough to accept his low-ball offer on the item and half of what the card sells for on eBay (not asking price, but recorded sales). He responded that I shouldn't be so emotional and business is business.

Personally, I don't think of it as business, since this is a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. That's why I thought it was better to make an offer than burn a bridge. I don't understand why someone would tell me to invoice them, and then just decide not to pay the invoice without even telling me why. It's simply rude, and it made me very disappointed that it was a GUU member who did it.

I think I know who you are talking about. There are several lowballing bullies on this website. They act like "collectors", but on the whole, are just high profile item/high end item $$$ flippers. What they don't realize is they are just burning bridges for future deals.

sportsnbikes
04-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Maybe we should all set the automatic response to decline offers below a certain amount. Some of the offers are stupid!!!

Wrigley2010
04-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Maybe we should all set the automatic response to decline offers below a certain amount. Some of the offers are stupid!!!

I always do this! The only issue I see with it is that sometimes an item that has an open offer on it can entice another buyer to pay the asking price so they don't lose out.

helf35
04-30-2014, 11:18 AM
I think I know who you are talking about. There are several lowballing bullies on this website. They act like "collectors", but on the whole, are just high profile item/high end item $$$ flippers. What they don't realize is they are just burning bridges for future deals.

I have sold a few items only to see them reposted the next week for double or triple the price. If I didnt find new stuff I want all the time i could afford to let it sit out there but i buy to many things.