PDA

View Full Version : How do some baseball players react when you ask if they can sign their game used items ?

Ray371170
04-20-2014, 05:54 AM
I'm going to the Yankee Game on May 1 st and I have tons of Yankee Game used items I would love to get signed. I will be on the field for batting practice and I have many game used jerseys I would love for some players to sign .

Have any of you have had interactions with players ? Where they surprised or a bit upset that their gear was sold to the public ... I hear certain Yankees players are not fond of Steiner selling their stuff .

Thanks in advance and Happy Easter everyone !!!!

johnsontravis@ymail.com
04-20-2014, 08:51 AM
You could get any reaction possible. Some get thrilled like little children, and some are ready to call the cops for stealing.

Most likely they won't care or simply not sign it.

Phil316
04-20-2014, 09:08 AM
I also think it depends on the items you are asking to have signed.

Rob L
04-20-2014, 10:46 AM
I took eight Troy Percival gamers to a radio interview he was doing at the ESPN zone. He was pretty stoked to see them and mentioned that he didn't have anything from his time with Detroit (I had 4 jerseys), probably because I had all them. He was happy to sign all of the jerseys for me.

stasman
04-20-2014, 10:52 AM
I have AJ Pierzinski's game worn chest protector and shin guards. When I met him and asked him to sign them he questioned me where I got them...I told him from a seller and he became upset. He signed them all but I found out later that he doesn't give his equipment away and that these were suppose to have been destroyed.

PAC
04-21-2014, 04:06 AM
Never had a negative experience...but never had a really positive experience either (ie a player wanting to buy the item back, or saying he was excited to see it again, or telling a story associated with it).

Most have just smiled and looked at me like "you really want me to sign this old thing?" The same way a McDonald's employee would look at you if you asked them to sign one of their old worn shirts or used spatulas.

metsbats
04-21-2014, 03:08 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26869&highlight=player+reaction

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=38114&highlight=player+reaction

Here's a couple of threads regarding this topic.

ruhoos
04-21-2014, 03:15 PM
You could get any reaction possible. Some get thrilled like little children...

That was the reaction I got. I had a former St. Louis Ram/Virginia Cavalier sign his gamer from St. Louis. He was ecstatic to see it and said it made his day by bringing back some great memories.

Insomniac186
04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Almost every player I've met has been more than happy to sign their game used stuff and inscribe them, but I've had a couple of experiences where the player doesn't believe it's theirs and refuses to inscribe it "Game Used" and give me dirty looks. This was despite the fact that those particular items were MLB authenticated and purchased directly from the team. However, I've never had a player turn down signing something.

MercyMe78
04-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Has anyone ever gotten a "that wasn't game used" response? If so.. then what do you do? Smile and say thanks?

ruhoos
04-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Has anyone ever gotten a "that wasn't game used" response? If so.. then what do you do? Smile and say thanks?

Saw it first hand. A guy had a #91 Virginia jersey. Asked Chris Long to sign it and inscribe "Game Used." Chris declined saying, "Dude I never wore that jersey. That's [another player]."

He signed it but wouldn't write game used.

On a separate note, couldn't be a more down-to-earth pro than Chris. Great player and even better person.

woody1351
04-24-2014, 11:36 AM
I bought a bat from a member on here and I knew the player was going to be in the same golf outting I was in, so I brought the bat with me. I told him I had one of his bat game used bat and was wondering if he would sign it. He said sure if its mine. I tried to keep a lot of my stuff so I dont know if it is real or not. We walked outside to my cart and I got it out and he looked at it. Said well you do have one of my bat and I would love to sign it for you. He looked all over the bat and enjoyed seeing it.

RMoody
04-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Greg Lloyd nearly refused to sign my Panthers gamer, he wouldn't inscribe game used but he said it "looked like it was his". Went on to talk about the not so positive memories and clearly still harbored some resentment.

Said it was the first Panthers item he signed since leaving the team, he generally declines any of stuff.

Not game used, but I once had Ron Jaworski sign a Dolphins mini helmet, which he said "Oh man, it's been a while and I don't see those often. I think I wore #17, if it's wrong, I guess this will be worth more or assumed fake."

CubbyBear8
04-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Junior Lake lit up like a Christmas Tree when he saw his rookie bat. He signed it graciously. Anthony Rizzo was very inquisitive about his bat when I had him sign it. (Not in a negative way, just was very interested where I got it). Darwin Barney didn't even react... Soriano would always smile really big and talk about the item. Castro the same way.

DJaeger22
04-25-2014, 12:56 PM
I had bought bats of Marlon Anderson and Jose Hernandez to get signed since they were both coaching in the SAL a few years back. Jose barely looked up but Marlons face lit up and asked where I had gotten it. He then took it and gripped it before making sure the paint pen was charged and ready then signed it.

TNTtoys
04-25-2014, 01:41 PM
I know I have responded to similar threads with my stories, but likely never got to post this one, as it was more recent than the others.

In Jan/Feb 2013, I met Al Holland at a show and presented for him his 1979 Giants jersey to sign. He was so happy to see this jersey, he raved on about it for several minutes. I was with my youngest son, who was 8 at the time... and I could get the feeling that he saw the actual joy we get out of this hobby at that point. Holland could not have been nicer... let's face it, he is a huge scary looking guy, but came across as a big teddy bear with a heart of gold.

We stopped chatting, and were about to walk away, when Al picked up his cell phone and told us that he's going to call his wife and tell her all about what he just signed. Truly a great experience for everyone...and a jersey that doesn't quite fit into my collection but will probably always be a part of it.

rchimes13@yahoo.com
04-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Contrary to what others have experienced...Joey Votto, following his 2008 rookie season, was more than gracious and in fact taught me about game used bats and what to look for contact mark wise etc. He explained that the bat I had presented him was in fact his, but that due to contact marks was used by a right handed hitter (most likely a pitcher he said due to the sloppy placement of ball marks) and took the time to explain and demonstrate how he holds his bats etc. It was an amazing experience and at the time I knew nothing about what to look for in GU bats so it's kind of cool to say that my favorite player and one of the best pure hitters in MLB taught me about GU bats :)